Least favorite ports?

On 9/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, bobroo said:

Without question Colon, Panama is the worst port Royal stops at.

For many the upcoming Panama Canal group cruise is going to be an eye opener.

Haven't been, but will be in 6 weeks. That's one port that many people seem to say "Don't get off the ship". I hear alot crime.

37 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

It seems from your choices that you love beach days and if so this will a great cruise for you! What people complain about regarding Nassau and Jamaica has to do with issues such as the variety or quality of tour options, the port “feel,” and the reaction of locals to cruisers. But it doesn’t speak to the quality of the beaches, island views, and specific venues. I cruised with my parents in 60’s - 70’s and Nassau was one of the few destinations so I have visited it repeatedly; as @CanHardlyWaitmentioned, the negative feeling on Nassau is likely due to the fact that many of us have visited it a bit too often. Yet, I have had visits to Nassau that we truly enjoyed.  Don’t worry 🌞

Thank you 😎

26 minutes ago, tjcruisers said:

Haven't been, but will be in 6 weeks. That's one port that many people seem to say "Don't get off the ship". I hear alot crime.

Did Colon back in February on Grandeur. Yes the port wasn't the prettiest (container ship central!) and the area surrounding it was not the prettiest but we arranged a private guide for the day and he was brilliant (Clemente from Tours By Locals).  Met us outside the gates, nice car, did so much in the 6 hours we had and were back in plenty of time. Day included private boat on the canal to see monkeys, sloths etc then into the city via the locks (where he worked as security), the old US forces bases and the beautiful Causeway. He also gave us a great history lesson and showed us the locations where 'things happened'. Was well worth getting out of the port IMO.  

6 hours ago, Bazza said:

Oh dear...!

I have B2B on Oasis in January 2024 with identical itineraries (booked it for some winter sun!) - both going to Nassau, Perfect Day, Labadee and Falmouth. 

Never been to any of these places (was considering Margaritaville for Nassau and RIU Resort for Jamaica) but suddenly wondering if worth it???!

All subjective comments I know but the fact so many negatives does make you wonder!! Gulp!

I certainly wouldn’t cancel a B2B for anyone’s comments. You would be better off experiencing this for yourself and forming your own opinions. 

Nassau. While we visited, too many short cruises (looking at you NCL) filling the port with college kids partying. We opted for a day pass at Sandals. It was expensive but very nice and the fritters on their private island were very good. 

CoCoCay. We like to relax so Coco Cay is not our thing, we prefer Labadee. We tend to stick to the beach club which is nice but when we venture outside, it seems hectic with long lines. Not our favorite. 

Ports (Cruises and Vacations in general for that matter) are what you make, and not make of them. I would agree with Freeport, it shouldn't even be a stop IMO unless it's an emergency. Nassau has a lot to do, but when you've been so many times, the "new" things to do run out. 

Before booking a cruise, look at the destinations (as well as the ship, but that's another thread) and see what they have to offer. If RC doesn't list excursions, look for private excursions, look for things to do within walking distance or even a cab ride. (Google is your friend) But in my experience, no matter where you are, you can probably find things you would want to at least try, if not do.  🙂  

On 9/14/2022 at 3:16 PM, bobroo said:

Without question Colon, Panama is the worst port Royal stops at.

For many the upcoming Panama Canal group cruise is going to be an eye opener.

The good news here, is that we're just boarding in Colon - I think most everyone's early plans are to stay in Panama City and travel out to Colon for embarkation. From what I've heard, it's a container port - similar to Freeport/San Juan (Pan American Pier)