How/where are you going for PCR testing?

When I was told we may need to get testing to get on the ship in Nassau I didn't think anything about it.....I figure run out to the local drug store they do rapid testing cart the whole family over.....couple hours in and out and done.

So today I get an email that says it has to be a PCR test.....which can take 3-5 or more days 'depending on demand' to get results.  So that means I have to take the test 5 days before sailing (because I can't take it 6 days before) and hope i get results back in time?  WTF is this......am I reading this crap wrong?

Yes, all guests over the age of 2 must present a PCR test result to Royal Caribbean.

Getting a PCR at home in time seems to be quite easy.  There was another thread with recommendations of where to go to get one, but I have not personally heard of someone (yet) who could not get a test done in time.

For example, CVS pharmacies do rapid PCR testing with results in 1-2 days. So does Walgreens. There are some at-home options these days, too; Pixel is one that comes to mind. A number of major airports have onsite labs now too.

Tell me where you're at and I'll give you a list if you want -- I've done an ungodly amount of research on testing in the last six months ? 

1 hour ago, KristiZ said:

For example, CVS pharmacies do rapid PCR testing with results in 1-2 days. So does Walgreens. There are some at-home options these days, too; Pixel is one that comes to mind. A number of major airports have onsite labs now too.

Tell me where you're at and I'll give you a list if you want -- I've done an ungodly amount of research on testing in the last six months ? 

We found local CVS who swears they will get us PCR test back in max of two days which has destressed.....only a little bit.

I have looked into this, since my son who just turned twelve wont be vaccinated in time. We are flying into Miam, and they do them at the airport, and the cost there is $120 dollars, and there are a few other places that claim 30 minute results in the Miami area, that are $140 dollars. Also RC wont give ma an answer if they are paying for my sons test at the port, or I am responsible. They just keep saying they will reach out and let me know.. This question has been asked a dozen times, and I can't get an answer.. 

Supposedly Walgreens is free even though they may bill your insurance? At least that is what the one Pharmacist told me. Researching leads me to believe this is true, but I'm not 100% certain which worries me.

My family of 4 (all vaccinated) will be on Adventure the 24th, so we need to get PCR tests on Monday or Tuesday of next week at the latest.

Will get a little expensive if I have to pay around 100 bucks for each test...

This seems like an unnecessary requirement from RC or is it just me?

1 hour ago, Seymoure1991 said:

I have looked into this, since my son who just turned twelve wont be vaccinated in time. We are flying into Miam, and they do them at the airport, and the cost there is $120 dollars, and there are a few other places that claim 30 minute results in the Miami area, that are $140 dollars. Also RC wont give ma an answer if they are paying for my sons test at the port, or I am responsible. They just keep saying they will reach out and let me know.. This question has been asked a dozen times, and I can't get an answer.. 

Not sure when you are sailing, but the rules for July and August sailings are they will cover a 12 year old's test cost:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=florida-july

These tests will be complimentary for guests ages 2-15.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=florida-august

These tests will be complimentary for guests ages 2-12.

22 minutes ago, Boarder52 said:

Supposedly Walgreens is free even though they may bill your insurance? At least that is what the one Pharmacist told me. Researching leads me to believe this is true, but I'm not 100% certain which worries me.

I didn't pay anything for my COVID test at Walgreens.  I believe they will ask for insurance information and bill the insurance company if one exists, but otherwise there is no charge.

14 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I am sailing August 2nd. My son just turned 12 last week. So he wouldnt be fully vaccinated in time. He did get the first dose, and his second would be a few days before we leave for Miami, and board on August 2nd. RC says he is considered unvaccinated. 

9 minutes ago, Seymoure1991 said:

I am sailing August 2nd. My son just turned 12 last week. So he wouldnt be fully vaccinated in time. He did get the first dose, and his second would be a few days before we leave for Miami, and board on August 2nd. RC says he is considered unvaccinated. 

Correct, he isn't considered fully vaccinated.  Unfortunately he will have to be treated as such.  However, you won't have to cover the costs of his onboard testing like the other unvaccinated passengers over the age of 12.   You asked if Royal was going to cover the cost of testing for him at the port, and yes they will according to their Healthy Sail Center.  They will also cover all his testing onboard he is required to do.  You will be responsible for getting him the 72-hour prior to boarding test.  Both CVS and Walgreens offer COVID PCR testing at no charge to you cost (bill insurance if you have it, but free for uninsured).  

19 hours ago, KristiZ said:

I would love any info you have for NY.  I am in the Westchester/Putnam area....I can go to the NYC, Rockland, Dutchess and Orange counties fairly easily...
I guess I will be calling my insurance company.  I don't believe they cover for travel related testing.  Im a family of 5 -all over the age of 12.

Also, it does not say what we do with those test results.  What happens if you get somewhere and it is not what they wanted?  (I do plan to get a PCR it's just I don't see where that info is being submitted).  I do not recall being told we will need to PCR test when we booked.  NYS shut down their free testing sites (as in you can just drive in and ask for a test with no questions).

I went to CVS for my test for Celebrity Millennium.  Long story, but I had to get 2 tests.

First one was back in about 20 hours.  The second one took about 36.

They didn't charge me, but I'm still expecting that shoe to drop one of these days.

It's probably good to every once in a while remind people that protocols for each ship may vary, and may vary based on sail date and may vary as protocols are updated over time. Always check the actual guidance provided by Royal Caribbean for what is required for your sailing, and always keep watch for potential changes, even close to sailing dates.

As each ship resumes sailing, you'll find links to the specific applicable vaccination and testing policies for them here:

The Healthy Sail Center | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

2 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I would love any info you have for NY.  I am in the Westchester/Putnam area....I can go to the NYC, Rockland, Dutchess and Orange counties fairly easily...
I guess I will be calling my insurance company.  I don't believe they cover for travel related testing.  Im a family of 5 -all over the age of 12.

Also, it does not say what we do with those test results.  What happens if you get somewhere and it is not what they wanted?  (I do plan to get a PCR it's just I don't see where that info is being submitted).  I do not recall being told we will need to PCR test when we booked.  NYS shut down their free testing sites (as in you can just drive in and ask for a test with no questions).

In your case CVS is probably the way to go. Testing will likely be free to you, and most of the CVS locations in that area do the "Molecular Lab Test PCR/NAAT" test. Results in 1-2 days, usually within 24 hours. You have to book through the minuteclinic website if you're testing for travel -- just google CVS Covid test and you'll get right there. CVS clinics are drive-up only, and some require you to do the swab yourself. Not a big deal, but just so you know.

The PCR/NAAT test currently meets the requirements for entry into all countries Royal is sailing at the moment. (The moment being July 14, 2021. No guarantees after that since things change all the time!)

If testing isn't free, you can pay upfront and submit the claim to your insurance -- most insurance companies will pay for testing even if they try to keep that a secret.

Hope that helps!

17 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Correct, he isn't considered fully vaccinated.  Unfortunately he will have to be treated as such.  However, you won't have to cover the costs of his onboard testing like the other unvaccinated passengers over the age of 12.   You asked if Royal was going to cover the cost of testing for him at the port, and yes they will according to their Healthy Sail Center.  They will also cover all his testing onboard he is required to do.  You will be responsible for getting him the 72-hour prior to boarding test.  Both CVS and Walgreens offer COVID PCR testing at no charge to you cost (bill insurance if you have it, but free for uninsured).  

I agree with you. Think I will schedule a test on Friday afternoon, and hope the results are back before check in on Monday. Friday puts us at the 72 hour mark. If needed I guess we could arrange a test in Miami on Saturday or Sunday.

2 hours ago, KristiZ said:

In your case CVS is probably the way to go. Testing will likely be free to you, and most of the CVS locations in that area do the "Molecular Lab Test PCR/NAAT" test. Results in 1-2 days, usually within 24 hours. You have to book through the minuteclinic website if you're testing for travel -- just google CVS Covid test and you'll get right there. CVS clinics are drive-up only, and some require you to do the swab yourself. Not a big deal, but just so you know.

The PCR/NAAT test currently meets the requirements for entry into all countries Royal is sailing at the moment. (The moment being July 14, 2021. No guarantees after that since things change all the time!)

If testing isn't free, you can pay upfront and submit the claim to your insurance -- most insurance companies will pay for testing even if they try to keep that a secret.

Hope that helps!

just contacted my insurance company and they will not cover testing.  When pressed further they said they do not cover the co pay for testing but cover the test.  I don't even know if that is true.  I wish they had it in writing.  Co pay for CVS is $50----if that's "all" I have to pay I guess I can be "happy".....but if they decide the test itself is not covered I'm "royally" screwed as I see the explanation of benefits come in any time we've gone for symptoms....it's $300!!  I can't get over some of these places get paid so much, especially for a teledoc!!  Thank you for the info I will look into it further I have 2 more weeks to figure out this piece

31 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

just contacted my insurance company and they will not cover testing.  When pressed further they said they do not cover the co pay for testing but cover the test.  I don't even know if that is true.  I wish they had it in writing.  Co pay for CVS is $50----if that's "all" I have to pay I guess I can be "happy".....but if they decide the test itself is not covered I'm "royally" screwed as I see the explanation of benefits come in any time we've gone for symptoms....it's $300!!  I can't get over some of these places get paid so much, especially for a teledoc!!  Thank you for the info I will look into it further I have 2 more weeks to figure out this piece

I recommend stepping through the scheduling process on the minuteclinic website. It will tell you if there is a fee or copay, and usually there isn't. Of course this depends on your insurance plan, but in this case I think CVS waives the copay. Again, you have to schedule through the minuteclinic link, not by calling CVS.

I'd also recommend booking as soon as you can, as appointment slots do fill up for travel testing. Good luck!