RC Pricing vs. MEI Pricing

Hey, everybody, I'm planning a cruise for next Dec. I had a good experience with Stephanie at MEI Travel last time, so wanted to go with them again this time (Beth has been super helpful so far, by the way), but I noticed something curious about the prices she's quoting me: RC's website is currently listing an Oceanview Balcony for this particular voyage at $856 per person, but MEI's price is $1163 per person, which is a fairly significant difference. Pricing seemed to be much closer the last time we went, which was Feb. 2020.

Is this a new change in policies? Did I miss something that would explain the difference?

Hi Panda,

It should be the same pricing, however you might need to tell Beth your state and C&A number. She also might be including something that you're not seeing or something like that. You can also send her a screenshot, you might be in a different category than she has or non-refundable deposit. Lots of factors, but the pricing should be the same (or lower if we have a group rate).

I would make sure that you are comparing apples-to-apples. Is prepaid gratuities, travel insurance, refundable deposit factored in? Is it a guarantee rate or choose your room?

I am almost positive that MEI uses the same rates as what is published on RC’s website. So if everything is indeed exactly the same terms, I am positive that MEI will use the rate that’s online at the moment of booking.

Let’s put it this way - MEI wouldn’t intentionally charge you more and even if they did, you can get it re-priced anyway. Many people on this forum have successfully re-priced their cruise fare.

Sometimes a cabin category that is close to being sold out will come in and out of inventory as people click on it.  It could be she checked when a guarantee or specific category wasn't available. 

If I see something I really want I book it and then transfer it to a travel agent later.  I've often seen a cabin come and go every 5 to 15 minutes.  When it finally pops back up I grab it and book it.

Hey CaptainPanda,  I looked at your cruise on the Royal Caribbean site and I believe you are looking at the price on the front screen which is the lead in price for Balcony cabins and does not include taxes,  port fees or let you pick your cabin etc.   I am going to email you directly and I will give you more information.   Thanks!

9 hours ago, BethD said:

Hey CaptainPanda,  I looked at your cruise on the Royal Caribbean site and I believe you are looking at the price on the front screen which is the lead in price for Balcony cabins and does not include taxes,  port fees or let you pick your cabin etc.   I am going to email you directly and I will give you more information.   Thanks!

looks like a good TA in the making here, keep up the good work BethD