Can you change your reservation to another room without penalty?

I have 3 of my "kids" (ages 29,22,18) booked  in a balcony. "kid" #4 (age 20) has just  gotten the ok to get off work from his new job to join us.
This is for August 7 Adventure of the Seas.

I want to move the "kids" from the original balcony into 2 promenade cabins.   My regular travel agent is on vacation so she had another one contact RC to deal with this. When that travel agent called RC she was told there could be no change of cabin without cancelling the original reservation-thus losing the deposits so the agent just added my son into that cabin.  (there was no consultation with me)
  These 4 "kids"  with one bathroom is not going to cut it, let alone the physical space constraints of the cabin-(my boys are both over 6'5 and the girls are not short either!)

The balcony cabin  was booked as non refundable.  Was the RC person correct to tell the travel agent that they can only add #4 to the room and they could not undo that reservation and it would be considered a cancellation?
I'm thinking if that is true-that I cannot just change cabins- I could have cancelled one of the original kids  and moved them to a new cabin with kid #4. ("only" having to lose one deposit)  Is there a timeframe to "cancel" #4 without penalty and then rebook him with one of the others into a new cabin?

BTW, having 4 "kids" aged 18 and up in the same room means if one wants an alcohol package they ALL Have to get it......welcome to the Bahamas.  

Any input is greatly appreciated.  

Wait you can move up or down in rooms as long as it is on the same ship and date. I have moved from interior to balcony, to an OV and then to a JS. That means you could downgrade the balcony to the promenade room and remove the other 2. Then you can add another room for the other 2 pax. As long as inventory is available then you should be able to get what you want.

I have multiple cruises booked and I check every day for price drops and better cabin locations. Many times I see a good deal on a higher category and I call and they make the change, no problem. I even changed one back to back by moving a cruise from one week to another. Again, no problem. The $100 change fee is listed on the confirmation, but then it is immediately listed as a $100 ‘savings for change fee’.  So the bottom line is you shouldn’t have a problem changing to another cabin category…no loss of deposit, and no change fee. Good luck and enjoy the family cruise!

11 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Wait you can move up or down in rooms as long as it is on the same ship and date. I have moved from interior to balcony, to an OV and then to a JS. That means you could downgrade the balcony to the promenade room and remove the other 2. Then you can add another room for the other 2 pax. As long as inventory is available then you should be able to get what you want.

Yes but not necessarily after final payment has been made.  August 7 is less than 30 days away.

17 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I have multiple cruises booked and I check every day for price drops and better cabin locations. Many times I see a good deal on a higher category and I call and they make the change, no problem. I even changed one back to back by moving a cruise from one week to another. Again, no problem. The $100 change fee is listed on the confirmation, but then it is immediately listed as a $100 ‘savings for change fee’.  So the bottom line is you shouldn’t have a problem changing to another cabin category…no loss of deposit, and no change fee. Good luck and enjoy the family cruise!

Genuinely curious how willing they have been to make these changes after final payment has been made and its a month away from the cruise.  I have had good luck making changes prior to final payment but less so after final payment.  

It sounds like Royal is sticking to the letter of the policy for a cruise less than 30 days away. 

Perhaps some of the travel agents who frequent the boards can comment on their experiences.

Like many things Royal your agency may need to call again and hopefully get a Royal agent more willing to bend the policy.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It sounds like Royal is sticking to the letter of the policy for a cruise less than 30 days away. 

Perhaps some of the travel agents who frequent the boards can comment on their experiences.

Like many things Royal your agency may need to call again and maybe get an agent more willing to bend the policy.  

Good point…I didn’t consider that. All of my changes have been prior to final payment. The CWC seems to cover cabin price drops after final payment (difference will be credited as OBC) but not cabin or category changes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, the flights do complicate things, but without those on there yes you should be able to switch fairly easily. 

I still would think that you'd be able to do it even with flights on there, but that's a new situation for me so I don't know for sure.