Boarding Times

Pen

Hi!  Listening to one of Matt's recent FB broadcasts it was mentioned that cruisers needed to abide by the check in time.  My question is, if you purchase the Key which has priority boarding, are you still tied to the boarding time?

31 minutes ago, Pen said:

Hi!  Listening to one of Matt's recent FB broadcasts it was mentioned that cruisers needed to abide by the check in time.  My question is, if you purchase the Key which has priority boarding, are you still tied to the boarding time?

We don't really know yet as the ships aren't sailing with enough capacity that they have been using the Key program.  In the past the answer was no, but now they don't let you into the terminal until your boarding time.  That could change as they start to ramp up and increase capacity. 

30 minutes ago, Pen said:

Although I like The Key program, I wouldn't even bother with it again until everything is back to normal.  If I had purchased it, I'd cancel it.  With reduced passenger numbers on board I don't see any part of it that would be worth the money.  If you check in as soon as it opens up  you will likely get one of the earliest boarding times available anyway.  There will really be no need for dedicated seating in the venues for a while with limited capacity.

13 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

We don't really know yet as the ships aren't sailing with enough capacity that they have been using the Key program.  In the past the answer was no, but now they don't let you into the terminal until your boarding time.  That could change as they start to ramp up and increase capacity. 

As you can guess I am hoping to avoid a bad boarding time.  We will of course try to get an early one, but I was hoping if given a crappy one the Key might have circumvent it.

15 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Although I like The Key program, I wouldn't even bother with it again until everything is back to normal.  If I had purchased it, I'd cancel it.  With reduced passenger numbers on board I don't see any part of it that would be worth the money.  If you check in as soon as it opens up  you will likely get one of the earliest boarding times available anyway.  There will really be no need for dedicated seating in the venues for a while with limited capacity.

I wasn't worried about using the Key's other benefits, I was hoping it could guarantee an early boarding time. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

That's a pretty high price to pay for a good boarding time.

Not really, we grouped voom with our drink package, we would rebook our drink pkg and take advantage of the voom that comes with the Key.

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

Not really, we grouped voom with our drink package, we would rebook our drink pkg and take advantage of the voom that comes with the Key.

We'll agree to disagree.  The Key prices (at least on all of my sailings) are higher than I'd ever pay for it (I won't pay over $20pp), which negate the Voom advantage.  I hope it works out for ya!

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

Just a thought you could share your Voom account and not need every family member to have Voom. We purchased the Key last time and it was fine, but I wouldn't pay for it again.

1 hour ago, foxrunner said:

Just a thought you could share your Voom account and not need every family member to have Voom. We purchased the Key last time and it was fine, but I wouldn't pay for it again.

We got the drink/voom pkg so we each had voom.  Although we could share like you said, mysister wanted us to each have our own ?

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Ok, Matt, how are the boarding times assigned? I thought diamond and above got priority boarding? ?

That was pre-covid. Now when you do online check-in times are available to reserve.

It's same as before, but check-in times matter.

14 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

We have a priority boarding pass can we use them at this time and if so how does that work?

Good question.  I have a bunch of these saved up since I don't need them with my C&A status.  I could give them to my son though.  

The terminal contractors guarding the doors may not know what they are.  Pinnacle are suppose to have an hour leeway either side of their allocated time and I'm thinking those same terminal contractors will be slow to be trained on that so even Pinnacle may get some pushback initially.  

My guess is over time once there are more sailings completed and things settle into a routine you can probably use them without fear of being denied.  If your cruise is in the near term let us know how you make out with them.

50 minutes ago, twangster said:

Good question.  I have a bunch of these saved up since I don't need them with my C&A status.  I could give them to my son though.  

The terminal contractors guarding the doors may not know what they are.  Pinnacle are suppose to have an hour leeway either side of their allocated time and I'm thinking those same terminal contractors will be slow to be trained on that so even Pinnacle may get some pushback initially.  

My guess is over time once there are more sailings completed and things settle into a routine you can probably use them without fear of being denied.  If your cruise is in the near term let us know how you make out with them.

Thanks and will do. We sail in Aug and will try to use it then so I will let y'all know

23 hours ago, Fairlynew said:

Are suites getting any type of priority boarding?

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Nope. It's all about boarding times

As Matt says its all about boarding times but I have just managed to get a RoyalUp confirmed from a Junior suit to a Grand Loft so now star class and the genie contacted us yesterday and we can board within an hour either side of our allocated boarding time. Bid a low amount on the upgrade and was surprised it was accepted but if we get the full benefits of the star class and I get the refund for the deluxe package and the unlimited dining we had purchased then with voom and gratuities included as well it works out almost the same as I paid for the junior suite with the 2 packages bought. 

I booked Adventure of the Seas for September 4th on July 3rd. The next day, July 4th I was able to check-in (probably could have checked in day before but didn't look as it was a spontaneous "YOLO book it" move), lots of times available and got 12:30PM - 1:00PM without issues. Checkout is at 11AM and Google Maps is saying 2.4 miles / 3.9km ...  so I'll ask the cab driver to go 1.6 MPH / 2.6 KMH ?

We're on Jewel on aug 7th from Cyprus and when I checked in only two weeks ago, there were plenty boarding time slots available from 1:30 to 5pm - always 30mins period.

If you combine another booking prior to that checkin, all passengers will be in the same boarding time slot.

I know this is a very fluid issue as things keep changing and each port is different….but…

Wondering how they handled the check-in/boarding process. I know the check-in time is being enforced, but what happens next? After check-in at the terminal, are you immediately boarding or are you put in a waiting area…

It looks from the videos that Nassau checked you in at a hotel and then piled you in a minibus for the ride to the pier for immediate boarding (after enjoying some welcome entertainment and free Bahamian beer, of course!)

But these sailings have been at reduced capacity. Curious how it’s going to work as the capacity increases. This will probably result in a longer time to disembark and get to ‘zero count’ and then to embark the new passengers.