First cruise!!

Hi everyone!

My partner and I are going on a 5 night Western Caribbean and Perfect Day trip this coming winter on the Mariner. I've only cruised once, 15 years ago on RC! He, on the other hand, has never been on a cruise!

We would like any advice that anyone can provide in regard to cruise start with flying in, to how to make the best of your last day while coming into port and everything in between. Thank you! 

Okay never mind I just saw Mariner!! Duh on me But download the RC app and register.

1 a must fly in the day before and go exploring

2 Try to board as early as possible

3 Once on board sign up for your shows and dining times if you have specialty restaurants

4 Do your safety drill on the App

5 Cruise compass is your friend pick one up at guess services. It will have all that is going on listed for you and the times.

JUST HAVE FUN

The most sage advice I've ever been given is not to try to do everything. You'll stress and freak out trying to fit it all in Relax.. you're supposed to be on a stress free vacation Go where the day takes you.. Watch the sun set over the horizon.. Clink Glasses with your new found friends.. enjoy conversations..  Try foods you normally wouldn't..  Don't be afraid to dance, sing, and act like a dork lol ? 

Humm ... some good tips here already .... let me think ...

Don't over pack ... unless you have some really special occasion ... don't try to be formal .... slacks and collard shirt for men ... a nice sun dress for the ladies ... other than that ... T shirts, shorts, swim attire, comfort clothes. Don't forget documents like passports etc. Once you board, you probably wont need them.

Don't forget to put your phone in airplane mode to avoid high dollar roaming charges.

Take time to explore the ship. I've found rooms, lounges etc I haven't seen after being on board 2 or 3 days. Take time to appreciate the all the work and art they put into Royal ships.

Look for alternatives to the Windjammer to eat. A number of sandwich shops and cafe's serve meals/breakfasts that are included and many times they are not as crowded and offer a nice change. The Windjammer is fine, there are just some nice places to eat as alternatives.

We usually enjoy dinner in the dinning room. Many times we have met some very nice people at our table. Don't hesitate to order seconds of something you like. Some of my favorites that are served on some nights are prime rib, lobster, hot pie with ice cream .... if you are so inclined .... ask for two ?

Often, there is one bar that has a happy hour, or two, just before dinner. Some times specials are listed in the Cruise Compass or ask a crew member.

The pool gets crowded in the after noon, specifically on days at sea. Find a spot you like early. Wear sun screen.

A walk around the top deck at sun set and sun rise is one of my favorite times. Don't forget your camera.

Also walking around the ship in the early morning when few people are out and about is kind of magical to me. There will almost always be a few crew cleaning and shinning glass and chrome and probably some music playing somewhere. It is usually a lot quieter and a good time to take pictures of the many sights around the ship.

The days will slip by much too fast and before you know it, you will be packing to go back home. So enjoy everything you can start making plans for the next cruise.

Mariner is a fun ship and a good size for a first timer. You should be able to get a recent cruise compass in a few months to look over beforehand. Just scroll up to the menu and you’ll see the link just below “message boards”

I’d fly in the day before and stay somewhere near the port. Cocoa Beach is right there. Orlando airport (MCO) is roughly an hour from the port. 

I love sea days. It’s time to soak up those last rays, see parts of the ship you haven’t seen, drink the yummy drinks and take a nap. 

One of my favorite things to do is stop by Next Cruise and pull all the sheets for itineraries we want to do next. Sometimes we go ahead and book our next one while onboard. That’s so much fun and makes disembarkment a little easier knowing you’ve got a new countdown to cruise! 

9 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

Okay never mind I just saw Mariner!! Duh on me But download the RC app and register.

1 a must fly in the day before and go exploring

3 Once on board sign up for your shows and dining times if you have specialty restaurants

4 Do your safety drill on the App

5 Cruise compass is your friend pick one up at guess services. It will have all that is going on listed for you and the times.

JUST HAVE FUN

1 a must fly in the day before and go exploring.

This is a big deal. If you try flying in on the day, and there is one hiccup or delay, you can miss the ship or you are going crazy in your head about possibly missing the ship. Really, fly the day before. The exploring part is up to you. Personally, I'm the "fly in, hotel  next to the dock, not gonna miss my boarding time" kind of guy.

That may be out of your control as boarding times are now assigned, instead of just getting on the ship anytime after 12 noon. This is a new COVID thing.

The intent is that boarding day is the first day of your cruise, with the difference being that the ship is moored. Most venues on ship are available, and there is always the WindJammer  for food. Good day to walk around and get your bearings on the ship.