Harmony of the Seas Transatlantic-from-Barcelona health protocols

It seems odd to me that the health protocols just announced for the Harmony of the Seas sailings from Barcelona make specific mention of Transatlantic sailings requiring all passengers be vaccinated (i.e., no unvaccinated passengers of any age permitted aboard) but still seem to specify the mask wearing requirement in all indoor areas of the ship.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/07/08/royal-caribbean-announces-health-protocols-harmony-of-the-seas-spain
Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

I wonder if this is an oversight stemming from someone tossing in the transatlantic vaccination requirement at the last minute or if they really think that's a necessary protocol for some reason. After the Nassau sailings on Adventure of the Seas, it seems a very odd expectation for a sailing with 100% vaccinated passengers and crew.

I know we're expecting a change from the CDC soon regarding mask guidelines for vaccinated people on a cruise with unvaccinated guests. So maybe with the transatlantic including the destination US port it will be that change which leads to the masking relaxation onboard for the transatlantic. Well, except that the ship will be 100% vaccinated, passengers and crew, for the transatlantic.

What a confusing mix of different and often conflicting policies/requirements.

The email with the details was in my inbox when I got up this morning. I'm not thrilled with the mask requirements but it's possible that they're being mandated by one or more of the European governments of the countries on the itinerary. At least fully vaccinated passengers can go ashore independently.

For the transatlantic, I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that the ship is at sea and far from shore for an extended period of time meaning they can't offload anyone who turns up positive?

6 hours ago, FionaMG said:

For the transatlantic, I wonder if it's anything to do with the fact that the ship is at sea and far from shore for an extended period of time meaning they can't offload anyone who turns up positive?

That crossed my mind as well.  

13 hours ago, dswallow said:

It seems odd to me that the health protocols just announced for the Harmony of the Seas sailings from Barcelona make specific mention of Transatlantic sailings requiring all passengers be vaccinated (i.e., no unvaccinated passengers of any age permitted aboard) but still seem to specify the mask wearing requirement in all indoor areas of the ship.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/07/08/royal-caribbean-announces-health-protocols-harmony-of-the-seas-spain
Getting Ready to Cruise | Healthy & Safe Cruises | Royal Caribbean Cruises

I wonder if this is an oversight stemming from someone tossing in the transatlantic vaccination requirement at the last minute or if they really think that's a necessary protocol for some reason. After the Nassau sailings on Adventure of the Seas, it seems a very odd expectation for a sailing with 100% vaccinated passengers and crew.

I know we're expecting a change from the CDC soon regarding mask guidelines for vaccinated people on a cruise with unvaccinated guests. So maybe with the transatlantic including the destination US port it will be that change which leads to the masking relaxation onboard for the transatlantic. Well, except that the ship will be 100% vaccinated, passengers and crew, for the transatlantic.

What a confusing mix of different and often conflicting policies/requirements.

Even on a Transatlantic sailing Royal still has to comply with all local laws.  Hopefully once the ship is in international waters they will make an announcement onboard relaxing the mask rules but don't expect to see any changes before then.  As long as that ship is in territorial waters they must comply with each specific countries rules which adds to the confusion for passengers.   

Keep your fingers crossed I think you will see a relaxation of the policy and more of an alignment with the US onboard mask policy once the ship is in international waters.

I also saw this vaccination requirement and are on this sailing from Barcelona to Florida (Oct 31 2021) we are fully vaccinated (me and my wife) but we have 2 kids 4 and 2 year old obviously not vaccinated.

When you try to book, it states 18+ only need to be vaccinated but the page on healthy sailing states ALL guests to be vaccinated, this is contradictory... 

Has somebody tried to clarify this with RCCL? Obviously, we will not be sailing without kids...

Thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, BarbieBell said:

I’m really comfortable with the vaccinated status for the Transatlantic but I agree that the mask protocol makes no sense. Surely that will change by Oct but otherwise it just may be too much for 14 days which are mostly sea days. 

Sure, having guests vaccinated is a good thing on a long cruise but for kids (4 year and below) who are already booked they should have relaxed rules. We are booked and confirmed on Harmony from Barcelona to Florida this year but we received no email letting us know that the vaccination policy has changed. If you received such email, can you please share?

What bothers me even more is that one can still book this trip with kids in the itinerary (knowing that vaccine is not available yet for kids age 12 and below). This is not right and RCCL should fix it immediately on their website as well as inform all with kids that they cannot sail.