Deluxe drink package

4 hours ago, Pratty said:

Every Deluxe drink package I’ve seen advertised lately is the same - $58. Anyone think that maybe it won’t get any lower than that?

Not sure when your cruise is but in the past, pre-covid, I found Black Friday sales generally to have the best drink package sale.  My November cruise was $67 but was able to get it for $58 with the 4th of July sale.

During the last two sales my 3 upcoming cruises all had different prices. Right now my August is going for $58, my Jan 2022 is $50 and my July 2022 is $54, I got the Jan 2021 for $42 but when I did a L/S after it was cancelled, they made me take me a refund of the drink package. I agree with the others, buy it and if it goes down, cancel and re-buy. That $54 is the lowest I've seen because it's in Alaska, been L/S twice and in that time it's usually $67, goes to $58 during sales but the Jan 2022 is out of Galveston and we've been L/S once, it's always been cheaper, between $42 and $54. To me it seems to be related to the cost of the cruise, the one that was cheapest always has the cheaper beverage package and the most expensive cruise is always the most expensive, regardless of the sales.

My advice is that if you feel the package is too expensive, it probably is... for you. I've bought it and skipped it enough times to know that what price works with my personal drinking habits (alcoholic and non), and I'll come out better if I just buy a la carte.

I'd recommend that everyone make that calculation. While I agree it's nice to have that particular expense paid up front and not be wondering how much I'm racking up over the trip, it's also really nice to know that I can drink what I'm totally comfortable drinking and actually come out ahead vs what the package price was the whole time I was checking the Cruise Planner. And do it while letting myself slow down after the first couple of "I'm finally on vacation!!!" days, because I'm not feeling the pressure to "get my money's worth".

I agree that it is a decision that should be based on your own drinking habit. I have friends (and family) who definitely come out on top…no matter how much the package costs! For them it’s a no-brainer. But for me…because Royal has now changed the daily complimentary drinks available to D+ members, I know that even if I end up purchasing a few drinks more per day, I’ll end up paying a lot less than if I bought a package. I think the best advice is to always look at these decisions with an eye towards the fact that you’re on vacation…on a cruise…and you may just want to keep it simple and not have to worry about how much each drink is costing. Either way…enjoy it and have a great time!

32 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

My advice is that if you feel the package is too expensive, it probably is... for you. I've bought it and skipped it enough times to know that what price works with my personal drinking habits (alcoholic and non), and I'll come out better if I just buy a la carte.

I'd recommend that everyone make that calculation. While I agree it's nice to have that particular expense paid up front and not be wondering how much I'm racking up over the trip, it's also really nice to know that I can drink what I'm totally comfortable drinking and actually come out ahead vs what the package price was the whole time I was checking the Cruise Planner. And do it while letting myself slow down after the first couple of "I'm finally on vacation!!!" days, because I'm not feeling the pressure to "get my money's worth".

I agree.  For my Nov Oasis cruise I actually bought the Refreshment pkg at (IMO) a good price of $20/day.  Did that for my husband too since we figured having a drink or two here and there would still be cheaper than paying the Deluxe price (at the time)of $58/day.  Then our friends decided to join us and he wants the drink pkg but she is good with refreshment one.  So now both guys have the drink pkg and both ladies the refreshment one but I do keep checking for cheaper prices.

The lowest I have ever seen any drink package is during the black Friday sale. Depending on when you are sailing, you can always reprice. But like others have said, buy it now at a price you are comfortable with. I remember paying something like $20 for a refreshment package on Mariner that went to $17 for black Friday. I am not a drinker anymore, might have 1/2. So I always get the soda or refreshment package and pay for those 1 or 2 drinks. I am staying in a GS on Allure with 4 other pax, 2 are drinkers and the other 3 of us are not. The lowest price was $58ppd, we did the math and it was better to do buy as we go and supplement with the SL.

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I agree.

While I enjoy a cocktail as much as anyone, I find that I just can't drink a lot multiple days in a row and still enjoy sharing a bottle of wine at dinner.

When I was in my 20s, I'd be all over the drink package, but now that I'm late 50s, too much drinking just wears me out to the point I can't enjoy my vacation.

We like doing the specialty dining package, as it gives us 40% discounts on wine bottles to enjoy lots of great food. While we may have a cocktail here and there in the evening, the math just doesn't work in our favor. If I were a day-drinker, the package would be totally worth it.