Pre-cruise Miami recommendations

olejt

Dear Friends

Booking complete, and then the countdown begins :-) When we start the more detailed planning, I will probably seek advice.

This is a little of topic, but since we travel from Norway, we want to experience a little bit more when we travel so far. That is why we plan to come some days prior to the cruise to Miami.  There is many different hotels etc to choose between, and what is best South Beach etc...

Do anyone have any good tips ? This could be location, even a suggestion on a nice and good hotel near the beach? 

It might help a bit to understand what you're looking to see while here.  Do you have a specific area you're interested in?  Are you traveling mostly for beaches?  Do you like active bars, nightlife, etc or are you aiming for a quiet 'beach paradise' kind of vacation?  

I'm from Florida so if it was me, and you are determined to stay in that same area,  I would pick Ft. Lauderdale or maybe even Key West not Miami.   Doc brought up a good point about seeing Disney World.  I would suggest finding a good travel agency to help set things up so you have a no hassle vacation.  By the way I just got back from a Baltic Cruise in June and one of our stops was in Oslo.  Norway is a beautiful country and has lovely people there.   Good luck and where ever you choose I know you will have a good time.

We vacation to Florida frequently, often for more than a week but if it's just a few days we always pick South Beach. I like the Ritz Carlton South Beach as it is right on the beach, also right on Lincoln Road (the pedestrian plaza with all the amazing outdoor restaurants) and there is the Youth Symphony nearby which has amazing concerts near---it really gives the flavor of Miami in a small area. If not there the Loews and then Delano (if you like to watch celebrities) are all great---South Beach is all about glitzy and glamour and it's a fun spectacle just as an observer if you choose not to partake. And the beach is outstanding. I think if you're there anyway you may as well enjoy yourself.

I haven't been to Miami yet so I can't say much in the way of recommendations, but I can say what we chose to try.

My wife and I are going to Miami for the first time in febuary for a group cruise this site is having. We wanted to explore south beach so we decided to go a couple days early. We chose a boutique hotel called the Impala, a block or two from the water. We got a deal for booking early (we like deals) and judging by the gallery pics it looks like it has a good flavor.

http://www.impala-miami.com/

I am flying out from England in just over a month for a 7 night west Caribbean cruise. staying in fort Lauderdale. would you recommend hiring a care to explore? but South beach is defiantly on the list for a day out! this is what I was thinking as I have 3 days before the cruise on the 8th October.

• South beach
  • Miami
  • suggestions welcome :)

I'm a young guy going with my girlfriend, we like to explore and don't mind some nightlife etc.

Dear Friends

Thanks for many good tips. Beside me and my wife, my 3 kids will come with us (8,11 and 13) and my mother in law...no joke :-)

I think our focus will be just to relax, see the beach, look at people,  lots of good food and probably some shopping for the girls :-)

The boys just enjoy looking at cars :-) We have been recently to Eurodisney so we have covered that.

And of course , talking about the main thing on this trip; the cruise. 

After searching on Tripadvisor etc, and reading rewiews , I am considering the Shepley, small but nice ...? : www.theshepleyhotel.com

Looks nice and clean, central location and close to the beach (and within our price range).  Anyone that have been on this hotel ?

I think our focus will be just to relax, see the beach, look at people,  lots of good food and probably some shopping for the girls :-)

I recommend looking closely at the various accommodations on Key Biscayne. It is 30 minutes from the cruise port with all kinds of amenities and fantastic hotels and beaches.

I am flying out from England in just over a month for a 7 night west Caribbean cruise. staying in fort Lauderdale. would you recommend hiring a care to explore? but South beach is defiantly on the list for a day out! this is what I was thinking as I have 3 days before the cruise on the 8th October.

• South beach
  • Miami
  • suggestions welcome :)

I'm a young guy going with my girlfriend, we like to explore and don't mind some nightlife etc.

. I would use South Beach as your home base the place  because it's the best place  to explore and the beach is really outstanding. Numerous night life venues, then you can walk home without risk of driving after drinking. I think there is confusing when researching the area---South Beach is the Southern part of the big sand bar that is "Miami Beach" in other words its the cool part of town for young people, you will like it and the people watching is spectacular. 

As to renting a car, I would do it and just head out various places...I like Sixt rent a car--rent something quintessentially American like a gigantic SUV or something...anyway...lots of reasonably priced places in the area and it caters exactly to younger people...(and older, I still like it)...it's essential to rent a car in USA to really see anything...public transportation isn't worth wasting your time on during valuable vacation days ;)

Lots of hotels to choose from in all kinds of different areas around the Miami area with different theme's and interests they cater to.

I am not sure  if cost or budget in as issue or not with so many ppl travelling with you.

I took a look at the hotel that Jerel booked....$1100 CAD for 2 nights when I am in Miami in January......that's insane. That's more than my cruise and flight.......I would never ever pay that for 2 nights anywhere...no matter where its located or how nice it is.

Miami is expensive as is FLL for lodging, but if you do some research, you can find affordable options.

If money is no object...then close your eyes and click on the first hotel that comes up and you'll be able to make it work no matter what.

Try to stay out of Miami. Yes, Miami is sexy and the clubs/bars/dining is fantastic but beyond that it's a tourist trap (especially South Beach). I am a South FL local and can tell you the traffic is horrific in Miami and crime is on the rise in South Beach. My suggestion would be like others on this thread, check out Key West (the drive down is fantastic and Key West is an amazing place) or the theme parks in Orlando. Another option is to get a hotel in Fort Lauderdale which happens to have an abundance of nightlife, beautiful beaches and hotels and cheaper! Fort Lauderdale is a 30 minute drive from Port of Miami. Do yourself a favor and stay out of Miami (I forgot to mention ZIKA).

Lots of hotels to choose from in all kinds of different areas around the Miami area with different theme's and interests they cater to.

I am not sure if cost or budget in as issue or not with so many ppl travelling with you.

I took a look at the hotel that Jerel booked....$1100 CAD for 2 nights when I am in Miami in January......that's insane. That's more than my cruise and flight.......I would never ever pay that for 2 nights anywhere...no matter where its located or how nice it is.

Miami is expensive as is FLL for lodging, but if you do some research, you can find affordable options.

If money is no object...then close your eyes and click on the first hotel that comes up and you'll be able to make it work no matter what.

After mentioning the hotel I looked it up again and was shocked to see the price. We paid 490 CAD for two nights. We also booked it back in may or June through hotels.com, looks like booking long in advance helped us.

If I would of known prices jumped that much I would of said something. Your right, that is insane.

We are learning hotels are best booked long in advance but not necessarily flights.

Yeah..I booked my hotel for my January cruise out of Miami back in April. Lots of options and prices weren't too bad. I defn don't leave hotels till last min in Miami or FLL or even Tampa. Orlando and Port Canaveral are much more reasonable based on my experiences.

As for flights, I hate that game. No price guarantee, can't re-book if you find a better deal and have to pre pay 100% at time of booking. I am still waiting for a "deal" on a flight to Miami or FLL in Jan.

$490 CAD for 2 nights for the hotel you got isn't bad at all!

As for flights, I hate that game. No price guarantee, can't re-book if you find a better deal and have to pre pay 100% at time of booking. I am still waiting for a "deal" on a flight to Miami or FLL in Jan.

You want pain, try booking flights for a family of 4 and realizing that the airfare is more than the cost off the cruise... that definitely hurts!

I've lived in Miami for the past 15 years (can't believe it's been that long . . .). I would agree with others above - South Beach is a tourist trap. The beach is OK, I guess, but it's primarily tourists who go there. Locals tend to go to Key Biscayne (Crandon Park or Bill Baggs State Park) for the beach.

I realize the threat of Zika, but I would say that Wynwood is a cool area for local restaurants and nightlife. Wear bug repellant.

Also, I would recommend looking at Little Havana. Great cultural opportunities there as well.

Coconut Grove is nice also. It's south of the port but has it's own special vibe. There is a Ritz Carlton there as well as a Residence Inn that is in walking distance to shopping and restaurants. Check out CocoWalk and Streets of Mayfair for shopping.

I've lived in Miami for the past 15 years (can't believe it's been that long . . .). I would agree with others above - South Beach is a tourist trap. The beach is OK, I guess, but it's primarily tourists who go there. Locals tend to go to Key Biscayne (Crandon Park or Bill Baggs State Park) for the beach.

I realize the threat of Zika, but I would say that Wynwood is a cool area for local restaurants and nightlife. Wear bug repellant.

Also, I would recommend looking at Little Havana. Great cultural opportunities there as well.

Coconut Grove is nice also. It's south of the port but has it's own special vibe. There is a Ritz Carlton there as well as a Residence Inn that is in walking distance to shopping and restaurants. Check out CocoWalk and Streets of Mayfair for shopping.

Great recommendations. Thank you!

Yeah..I booked my hotel for my January cruise out of Miami back in April. Lots of options and prices weren't too bad. I defn don't leave hotels till last min in Miami or FLL or even Tampa. Orlando and Port Canaveral are much more reasonable based on my experiences.

$490 CAD for 2 nights for the hotel you got isn't bad at all!

i have an old friend from college who lives in Moncton and the airfare out of that city to USA is insanely high! I could go to Europe for less

yeah....avg flight to FL is about $700....sometimes higher, sometimes lower.....sometimes out of Halifax you can get it cheaper...but maybe by $100 which doesn't justify the extra expense and hassle of driving there.

I have YET to book a cruise that cost's more than my airfare to get there.......it sucks!