Is Royal Caribbean better today than when you first cruised with them?

Matt

I'm going to get deep here...  ;)

In your opinion, is Royal Caribbean overall a better experience for you/your family today than it was when you first started cruising.  I'm talking about overall, so value, onboard experience, direction company is going, etc.

There's always that notion of "everything was better years ago" but I'm not so certain that is the case with RCL.

We have enjoyed our short cruising life with RCI. Only 3 cruises in 3 years.  I have never cruised with another cruise line but my wife has, with P&O.

The RCI cruise ship, itinerary, crew and staff have been fantastic and in my opinion could not get any better.    

But from an Australian point of view the administration here in Australia needs improvement we don't have the same rules when it comes to making bookings.   There are no discounts for servicemen/women or police fire etc. for example

So far this has not been a problem but it does make you hunt around to try and get the best price available.  

We have enjoyed our short cruising life with RCI. Only 3 cruises in 3 years.  I have never cruised with another cruise line but my wife has, with P&O.

The RCI cruise ship, itinerary, crew and staff have been fantastic and in my opinion could not get any better.    

But from an Australian point of view the administration here in Australia needs improvement we don't have the same rules when it comes to making bookings.   There are no discounts for servicemen/women or police fire etc. for example

So far this has not been a problem but it does make you hunt around to try and get the best price available.  

I've read quite a bit about issues with booking rules outside of the USA versus in USA.  From what I can tell it's more government laws than RCL policy but I can see your point.

That being said, RCL's presence in Australia has never been stronger, so I'd imagine things overall are getting better for you.

I started cruising in 2005 when I took my first cruise on Explorer of the Seas. I have sailed with Royal Caribbean 5 times now and have not sailed with any other line simply because I've been satisfied with what Royal Caribbean has provided. Since then, in my opinion, cruising has gotten better, a lot better. The newest ships are the envy of the cruise industry. The onboard entertainment is Broadway quality. The menu, although not as grand as it used to be, still satisfies the masses and the updated menu is a great improvement. Each new ship offers new and exciting things that some may say are gimmicky, but people use these facilities and book these ships because they have them onboard. Options are the way today and Royal Caribbean provides a lot if not the most in the industry.

The only thing that I would say has gone in the "wrong" direction (strong word--unnecessarily) is the food in the MDR. They've put less focus on that menu to really push the Specialty Restaurants. I'm not sure about other cruises, but I feel that RCI adds some amazing and innovative stuff on their ships, MOST for a fee. Starbucks at Sea? $$. Johnny Rockets! $$. Pets at Sea! $$. They have lots of "firsts" but charge for so many. Remember when the food on cruises used to be the MAIN selling point? And it didn't include a sitting fee? And a corking fee? And a fee for that after-dinner specialty coffee?

There's no question there's an added focus on increasing onboard spending.  I've always felt re: quality of food in MDR that MDR hasn't lost resources at expense of specialty restaurants as much as the MDR has simply left to languish.  I still feel food in MDR ranges from "good" to "really good" but could use more attention in terms of consistently working to bring new choices there.

I agree with bgriffler and Matt that the MDR food has gone in the wrong direction or at least languished in favor of the specialty restaurants.

The other thing that annoys me is the often limited food options available in the late evening.   As I recall the room service menu was limited in the past as well but they used to really go all out with a midnight buffet.  Now I'm stuck eating pizza or a hard roll with 2 slices of meat on it.  I really wish they would leave one serving line open in the windjammer until 12:30am.

I really wish they would leave one serving line open in the windjammer until 12:30am.

I've always felt the Winjammer's hours were a bit too limited.  They don't need it operating at full capacity all the time necessarily, but having a couple stations open wouldn't be a big deal.

Frankly, I suspect the reason it's not left open is because guests will likely make too much of a mess and therefore, they'd need to staff it adequately, which in turn costs more.

• 3 weeks later...

Better, in my humble opinion.  More ships, with more things to do on board.  Yeah, the up-sell to the specialty restaurants rub me the wrong way, but I've not eaten in one yet.  

I first started cruising in 1999.  I do think in the middle/late last decade the MDR food quality dipped, but they listened to the customers and made it better.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I were in our early twenties and managed to scrape up enough money to take our first cruise in 1986 on Song Of Norway. This ship was the smallest of ships with less activities and amenities than any other RCCL ship we have sailed on but we were more thrilled to have taken that cruise at that time in our early lives and that feeling has not been matched yet!   Ah, young Love.

This is really a hard question to answer given the differences in ships across the fleet. However, from a ship standpoint, the amenities have definitely have improved as has room size and layout. When I first cruised with Royal, my cabin was 94 square feet with bunks very similar to a crew cabin today.

While many have complained about the quality of the food and I do agree that the MDR food has declined in some cases,mother quality of food at the Windjammer has improved, especially for dinner. In fact, the MDR use to be the only option for dinner. Also, the food on the Brilliance last week was some of the best MDR food I've ever had and one of the headliner acts, Graffiti Classics, was the best and most unique onboard entertainment I've ever experienced.

Onboard facilities and activities for children have also improved, which is why I've cruised more since having a child than before.

We started cruising a few years back and quickly settled on Royal as the right line for us, but over the last couple of cruises have opened up to the idea of trying other lines again. Specifically NCL Escape and Carnival Vista both new builds next year.

Based on that I would have to say that on some level Royal is "disappointing" me if I have gone from only checking their website when we wanted to cruise to considering other alternatives.

I cant really put my finger on a solid area or two that it has clearly slipped but the experience does not feel as special as it did. The service feels a little less special, the food not quite as good, the prices a little higher, the nickel and diming a little more intrusive. Could you just be a function of "familiarity breeds contempt" (think I got that saying right) or it could be slight changes adding up to a lesser experience.

The big bang new ships aren't doing a whole lot for me as they are priced so high I wont be trying one anytime soon (as compared to the NCL/Carnival new builds both of which priced below comparable RCI cruises when booked).

Speaking just for us, yes.  There have been some things taken away, but some things I did not care about losing, like midnight buffet, gifts in rooms and such.  But since our first cruise in 2004 until now it is all good.  We are Diamond Plus and will be Pinnacle next year, so what we have lost we will or have gained over the years, like free Wi-Fi, 3 1/2 hours of happy hour each evening, special eating places and lounges and the little things that we have earned and enjoy.  We have done many cruises, but most out of Galveston to avoid the air and extra cost.  We have done 6 transatlantic crossings.  We will have done the Navigator 18 times come next month.  As soon as we make Pinnacle we will start going on more far away places because we will be allowed to get into more venues on the ships and take advantage of more things without being told we are not allowed in.  I think getting to know the crew real well has helped a lot.  The more experienced one gets with cruising the more people, passenger and/or crew, you now and that makes it fun in that you have more people you sail with a lot and can share stories and events while on board.  .

I agree with bgriffler and Matt that the MDR food has gone in the wrong direction or at least languished in favor of the specialty restaurants.

The other thing that annoys me is the often limited food options available in the late evening.   As I recall the room service menu was limited in the past as well but they used to really go all out with a midnight buffet.  Now I'm stuck eating pizza or a hard roll with 2 slices of meat on it.  I really wish they would leave one serving line open in the windjammer until 12:30am.I agree 

I have to agree with this statement.  Also, the increase in costs on items that already have a huge markup (pop, booze, photos etc.).  I have found the value has really dropped off on these items and I miss the candy on my pillow :(

I would normally had agreed; however, on the Brilliance a couple of weeks ago, the food was among the best I've had on any ship since I began sailing with Royal in 1994.  I would have appreciated better food quality at breakfast and lunch, but it was still very good overall.  My biggest complaint was the availability of quality late-night food options as the premade salads and sandwiches at the Park Cafe just did not cut it.  And one day midafternoon the Park Cafe was the only food option available, which led to many complaints by guests.  We adjusted to this when we had late dinners by ordering an entree for my son to go in the MDR so that he had a quality meal to eat after the kids club.

Remember the the MDR use to be the only option for meals at night.  So the option of the Windjammer with many of the same entrees as the MDR is an improvement especially when one does not want to go to the MDR or is running late getting back from an excursion.

My first cruise was late 90's on Empress of the Seas. Last year on Navigator was the next one, so there's a good 15 years between the 2. I'm still amazed at today's massive ships.

It is crazy to think about how big ships have gotten in past 15-20 years alone.

That's great news! We will be on Brilliance out of Boston next month and look forward to a great MDR experience.

Enjoy the cruise. We really like Rama in the main dining room and his assistant, Richard, was fabulous and keeping your beverages full, replenishing your bread plate, etc.

Loved sailing into and out of Boston when we did New England/Canada a couple of years ago.

Enjoy the cruise. We really like Rama in the main dining room and his assistant, Richard, was fabulous and keeping your beverages full, replenishing your bread plate, etc.

Loved sailing into and out of Boston when we did New England/Canada a couple of years ago.

Doc, thanks for the recommendation on dining room staff. Haven't sailed from Boston before but have visited a number of times on business, so that was one of the attractions for this cruise. I'm really looking forward to arriving several days early to enjoy the city. My first RCCL cruise was on Serenade and we loved it, so sailing on the Radiance Class again was another plus. Some fall colors and walker-friendly ports put the icing on the cake.

Doc, thanks for the recommendation on dining room staff. Haven't sailed from Boston before but have visited a number of times on business, so that was one of the attractions for this cruise. I'm really looking forward to arriving several days early to enjoy the city. My first RCCL cruise was on Serenade and we loved it, so sailing on the Radiance Class again was another plus. Some fall colors and walker-friendly ports put the icing on the cake.

I'm sure you'll have a great time.  I'll be on the Serenade next year for a Baltics cruise.  Feeling like I should sail on the Radiance just to say I've been on them all. :)

In your opinion, is Royal Caribbean overall a better experience for you/your family today than it was when you first started cruising.  I'm talking about overall, so value, onboard experience, direction company is going, etc.

Since you asked (and a lot has changed in two years) ... our last RC cruise was probably our LAST RC cruise.  The level of service that was there in the past is gone, the nickel and diming is out of control, and costs have increased to a point where it's no longer a vacation option for us.  Hell, the shock of signing a receipt for a single $14.16 drink on embarkation day was the death knell for me on our last cruise.  We're looking at Carnival, MSC, and all inclusives for our next vacation.  RC is totally off our radar for now.

Since you asked (and a lot has changed in two years) ... our last RC cruise was probably our LAST RC cruise. The level of service that was there in the past is gone, the nickel and diming is out of control, and costs have increased to a point where it's no longer a vacation option for us. Hell, the shock of signing a receipt for a single $14.16 drink on embarkation day was the death knell for me on our last cruise. We're looking at Carnival, MSC, and all inclusives for our next vacation. RC is totally off our radar for now.

Carnival may not be a good option given the concerns you've raised. My recent experience with them is that they nickel and dime even more in many ways. However, there are bargains to be had especially with some of the quality complimentary dining that's included. MSC is tempting given that kids sail free and the Davina sounds like a nice ship, but they get mixed reviews.

Royal is a good fit for my family at this time, but not early on as there was a big gap in our cruising with them. We've tried all inclusives but have always been ready to go (bored) after three days.

Please report back with your experience whatever option you choose to explore.

This is an interesting topic.  I may have  a different perspective since I am not a regular RC cruiser.  We travel a lot but mix in different kinds of venues.  We've cruised maybe 6 or 7 times over the past 30 years, and every time we've picked a different cruise line.   I've even done the Barefoot Cruise, a sailing ship with only 37 passengers (the pros and cons of that are a post in itself).  We usually choose based on the itinerary (somewhere we haven't been) and shore excursions.  But we've never done the same cruise line twice.  

This was our first cruise in over 5 years and our first RC cruise.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  Our Junior Suite/balcony was nice and roomy.  I thought the Main Dining was really good, with lots of options every night and very unique and unusual offerings. I looked forward to it.  I live in a huge city, so I had no interest in the specialty restaurants on board, as I can eat steak or Italian or burgers any day of the week.  I was afraid the Windjammer would be a typical bad buffet but was very happy with the quality and variety of breakfast and lunch - although I would have been happier with more tropical fruits because I can't get those at home.  The adult pool area was  very comfortable and calm with great views.   And I really, really loved the Promenade Cafe's open-faced sandwiches because they, too, were unique (I guess I'm in the minority there).  The three shore excursions we took were a lot of fun.  The ship design was pleasing. Overall, I thought it was one of the better cruises we have taken.

My only (mild) complaint would be that these mega ships try to be too mainstream.  When I go to a foreign country I want to experience that culture's food and music.  You could be anywhere on these big ships - but the music, shopping and entertainment is mainstream American.  I guess that's what most people want.

`

Overall we had a fantastic time, thought it was well worth the money, and enjoyed it a lot.  So, I may not be able to comment on whether or not RC has gotten better or worse over the years, but, for a big ship, I thought it was better than most of the other lines we've tried.  I'm not going to rush out and do it again right away, but my experience was good.