Passport Requirements

It's up to the countries you are visiting.  

Most Caribbean nations are part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and they aren't going to have an issue with a cruise ship passenger with a US passport that is valid for the entirety of your visit in that country.   Closed loop cruises from the US don't even require a passport for US citizens - gov't ID and birth certificate will suffice although that isn't a wise way to cruise.

Common carriers like airlines and cruise lines can face penalties if they transport a passenger who doesn't comply with a countries entrance requirements.  That doesn't mean they always get fined but many carriers choose to implement a policy that easy to train front line employees.  To keep it simple they can implement a 6 month validity requirement even though that may not be the case for every traveler.  It's too complex to train front line employees on the huge matrix of "if this citizenship visiting that country then X" so they use a common worst case like 6 months of validity after the expected travel ends.

Assuming you plan to renew your passport at some point soon you should consider just getting it done now.  I paid the extra $40 expedite fee last month and got mine in 5 weeks.  You have time for that with a small buffer so...

1 hour ago, spursfreak21 said:

The cruise I’m looking at booking only visits 1 port of call - Mexico. Leaving from Galveston. On the state department website it says even with expedited it can take 12 weeks…that’s cutting it close. 

Mexico's only requirement is that the passport be valid at the time you enter the country.   You will be fine with a February 2022 expiration.   If you are worried about what Royal says in their FAQ about needing the passport to be valid for at least six months after your cruise, also bring your birth certificate and driver's license as a backup.

Here’s a tip that I think is helpful.  On your calendar (Outlook, iPhone, google, even print out a paper one) put a reminder for one year out for things that expire like passports, drivers licenses, warranties, etc. then you have that buffer to figure out what you need to do.  Abe you don’t need to renew on the year out, but you can start planning based on what your plans are.

you can print out paper calendars from many websites for future years and then put it with your important documents.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:16 AM, MikeK said:

Also anyone planning on using birth certificate and drivers license make sure if a married name on birth certificate doesn't match your drivers license then get a certified copy of your marriage certificate.

Think you need the actual certificate not a photo copy. Same for the birth certificate. 

16 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Where do you get a certified copy?

In Florida you order certified copies of a marriage certificate from the county clerk's office and you can get birth certificates from our Department of Health.  I think it's different in every state probably where to get them.

1 hour ago, 12thman said:

Where do you get a certified copy?

in my case, I've lived in Maine since I was 4.   I was born in Milwaukee.  

I was 49 when I called the city hall to find out how to get a certified copy.  The clerk I spoke to told me how to go about getting it.