Teen icebreakers

I would like my granddaughter to cruise with us.    I think she would do really well with the teen club but hasn't been on a cruise before.  She would be 12 or 13.  She might be a little shy at first.  Do the counselors start out the week with any icebreakers or organized activities?  We would be either on Anthem or an Oasis class ship.  When I read the cruise compasses it looks less structured than younger kid programs but initially I would hope for some group activities. 

9 hours ago, wordell1 said:

Yes, It is very important to attend the first meeting on the first night of the cruise.  There are some organized activities as well but a lot of groups form up the first night.  Keep in mind that all the kids are in the same boat.

This is really important.  The meeting sometimes can be at 8 interfering with the late dining seating but this is where and when they will make friends so prioritize it. 

I feel like I grew up in Adventure Ocean. When I was a kid, that was where I went every cruise and I was super shy! I did not like to open up but I was able to make friends. It's been awhile,  but I remember the first night is when you meet every one and there are ice breakers. I wasn't one to go out of my way to meet new people and AO helped me meet friends, that I am still in contact with, all over the world.

My older granddaughter was 14 and quite shy when she cruised for the first time. We had to convince her to give it a try and go the first night.  She met up with a few girls and a couple of boys that evening and spent the rest of the cruise doing things together with them. That was ten years ago and she has maintained the friendships with the girls. p.s. She especially loved the scavenger hunt!

11 hours ago, Kurtp13 said:

I saw this with my own kids on cruises, join early to make friends when everyone is the new guy.   But I wasn't sure what was done with teens.   Their programming seems to be a lot less structured.

There are organized activities but the teens are able to come and go as they please so they are not obligated to do all of them.  Sometimes they just make their own fun.