REFUND - HOORAY

We are a family of 4 scheduled to Sail Symphony on August 21st out of Miami.  We are unvaccinated and have little desire to cruise under the unvaccinated protocols.  My TA requested a refund on my behalf about 10+ days ago.  Crickets.  No response or even an acknowledgement.  

Yesterday I emailed about 10 different email addresses from rccl general mailboxes to specific addresses using a little ingenuity and Google.  Just received a response that my refund will be processed.  I won't pop the champagne until I see the money hit my account  but finally a step in the right direction.  

Thought I would share as I have been vocal in my opinion on these boards that RCL should do the right thing given the change in protocols and seems they finally are albeit slowly.  This was a rebook using FCC from our April 2020 that was cancelled. I am told to expect a 100% refund of my cruise fare and airfare booked through Royals Air 2 sea, roughly $8,000.  (Poentially a 1 bedroom Grand Suite might be available to book to book soon for anyone interested)  Definitely a benefit booking your airfare through them IMO.

Good luck to those in a similar situation. Best to those starting to sail. Enjoy your trips and tip extra if you can.  

32 minutes ago, 12thman said:

This is true but no protocols have been announced for August or Symphony so a refund for such a cruise is notable.  

9 minutes ago, ConstantCruiser said:

This is true but no protocols have been announced for August or Symphony so a refund for such a cruise is notable.  

As always there's a bit of miscommunication with RCL.  Their website recently updated generally saying they would refund those not happy with the new protocols.  I saw a TA post a communication where refunds were applicable up to the August 7th. Symphony sailing.  I also called and the agent that answered Said protocols were not released for my sailing yet. Ends well for me but as always confusion and poor communication within RCL.  

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. My initial refund request through my TA was June 18th with no acknowledgement. I then crafted my own email June 30th and surprisingly got confirmation and acknowledgement on July 1st.  Today, I just received my updated protocols for the August 21 sailing on Symphony.  Seems like my cancellation and refund may not have even started to be processed.  Time will tell.

25 minutes ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Another quick update, today I received a credit to my credit card of $995.04 from Royal.  Very odd and only another $7,300 to go!

How much were taxes and port fees times four?  Did you prepay gratuity, transfers or any other items above the cruise fare?

My TA cancelled our 8-21-21 SY cruise a few days ago and Royal has confirmed that we will be getting a full refund including all 4 of the FCCs (~$10K) that were used to pay off the biggest part of that cruise.  The cruise is still showing up in our “Upcoming Cruises” list so they still haven’t actually cancelled it yet but hopefully it will get processed soon-ish.

In contrast, my TA cancelled 2 cruises out of AU ( Royal had already cancelled the 3rd leg) and all 3 of those cruises disappeared from the upcoming list immediately.  There’s no discernible pattern.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

How much were taxes and port fees times four?  Did you prepay gratuity, transfers or any other items above the cruise fare?

Nothing in my fare breakdown come to this odd 995.04.  Oddly enough, we got 2 refunds of 995.04 in February that become part of the balance due in May that we're paid.Screenshot_20210711-143946_Gmail.thumb.jpg.2554e806fe4769c943b32e1a0eda0abd.jpg  ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

On the early refunds we received from Royal in the past year they were in amounts that had no rhyme or reason. I would keep a spreadsheet (for a while it was very busy with all the cancellations) on the amounts paid and received and dates of both. Through several calls along the way I was able to get a customer support person that pulled all my cancelled dates and went over them one at a time. We were able to find where each one was and escalated the missing ones to getting processed. Happily all the refunds were received and now we are finally waiting for our first cruise in a year and a half next month.