xSAILEDx Serenade of the Seas - May 29, 2022 Roll Call

• SpeedNoodles changed the title to Serenade of the Seas - May 29, 2022 Roll Call
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Planning is becoming overwhelming for me.  Flights directly into Vancouver are very expensive.  Getting from SeaTac to Vancouver isn't all that easy.  Renting a car both ways from SeaTac will cost about $540.  An article that I read said that the Amtrak train between Seattle and Vancouver doesn't start operating until June 3, 2022.  I guess there's a bus going, but not sure how I feel about a bus for 3-4 hours.  And then the stress of having to do a PCR test to get into Canada or back into the US (if flying).

6 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Planning is becoming overwhelming for me.

6 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

And then the stress of having to do a PCR test to get into Canada or back into the US (if flying).

This pretty much sums up why I'm avoiding cruising outside of the Caribbean/Mexico at this point.

Doing a B2B of the itinerary solves one-way flight problems but then it's turned into a 2 week vacation and either Vancouver or Anchorage are really "cheap" places to fly. Plus Canada hasn't actually had a cruise happen yet from one of their ports.  

If you don't have much flexibility with time off, I'd have a backup vacation plan in your pocket you can default to just in case.

We're almost considering switching to Quantum out of Seattle, but I'll lose the great price on the Jr suite (and the double/double points that came with it).  We really want to sail on Serenade (we really don't like Quantum class all that much and we were just on Odyssey), but I'm just not sure how to deal with all of this uncertainty.    The Serenade sailing is Van-Van, so there's no issue with one-way flights, but damn!

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Planning is becoming overwhelming for me.  Flights directly into Vancouver are very expensive.  Getting from SeaTac to Vancouver isn't all that easy.  Renting a car both ways from SeaTac will cost about $540.  An article that I read said that the Amtrak train between Seattle and Vancouver doesn't start operating until June 3, 2022.  I guess there's a bus going, but not sure how I feel about a bus for 3-4 hours.  And then the stress of having to do a PCR test to get into Canada or back into the US (if flying).

How much more does flight to Seattle + rental car + gas + parking cost than just flying into Vancouver?

18 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

About $600 less than flying into Vancouver.

@SpeedNoodlesafter looking at flights and all the concerns with covid testing in Canada for flying vs driving across the border I elected to fly to Seattle and drive the 2.5 hours to downtown Vancouver which saved me about $500 after getting the car (assume fuel costs would have covered taxi rides). Airfare was about $1000 less from Detroit so will depend on your travel location. 

1 hour ago, scottb76 said:

@SpeedNoodlesafter looking at flights and all the concerns with covid testing in Canada for flying vs driving across the border I elected to fly to Seattle and drive the 2.5 hours to downtown Vancouver which saved me about $500 after getting the car (assume fuel costs would have covered taxi rides). Airfare was about $1000 less from Detroit so will depend on your travel location. 

We decided that between paying for testing, having to test before returning to the US (with the risk of not being able to get back home to our pet sitter if we don't test negative), and the hassle of renting a car, it wasn't worth the stress.  We switched it for Quantum.  Plus my father-in-law and brother-in-law may want to join us and they don't ever travel so the logistics of trying to help them navigate a Canadian cruise was more than I could bear.

Someday .... someday .... I'll cruise with Matt, lol.

• 2 months later...

We're still going!

We fly to Seattle two days early, and the plan right now (subject to change) is car service to Vancouver. Really wish the train would resume service, but I think the fact the White Pass train is cancelled to Canada is more telling than anything not to expect it.

14 hours ago, Matt said:

We're still going!

We fly to Seattle two days early, and the plan right now (subject to change) is car service to Vancouver. Really wish the train would resume service, but I think the fact the White Pass train is cancelled to Canada is more telling than anything not to expect it.

The train would have been better than renting a car. Surprise a car service will cross an international border. Who are you using as maybe this is a alternative to rental and paying big bucks for a car to sit at the docks. 

1 hour ago, scottb76 said:

Who are you using as maybe this is a alternative to rental and paying big bucks for a car to sit at the docks. 

Pacific Northwest Limo

Still gonna keep my options open for something cheaper that comes out

1 hour ago, YOLO said:

Are you on the President's cruise with us?  Not A Mistake !!!

No, we switched to Quantum because we didn't want to deal with the whole Canadian entry stuff - we were struggling with trying to find a way to get from Seattle to Vancouver, weren't finding anything, and it was stressing us out.

30 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

No, we switched to Quantum because we didn't want to deal with the whole Canadian entry stuff - we were struggling with trying to find a way to get from Seattle to Vancouver, weren't finding anything, and it was stressing us out.

We had direct flights from BOS to SEA, but not now.  JetBlue keeps changing us and currently we have 1 stop, which is not as good for my wife.  Some of us booked through American (via the American / JetBlue Alliance) and that is even more complicated.  Total time on the phone with JB is now over 14 hours from 4 calls.  We are all stressed and worried that JB might fail us altogether...

On 4/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, Matt said:

Pacific Northwest Limo

Still gonna keep my options open for something cheaper that comes out

Looked at the prices for this and Wow this is big time rates. I am going to stay my plan with the car rental 

46 minutes ago, scottb76 said:

am going to stay my plan with the car rental 

May I ask where you're picking up the car and dropping it off?

I ran into a problem with trying to pick a car in Seattle and then drop off at Vancouver

3 hours ago, Matt said:

May I ask where you're picking up the car and dropping it off?

I ran into a problem with trying to pick a car in Seattle and then drop off at Vancouver

Flying in and out of Seattle so have it for the week. Because you are doing a back to back maybe the cost for the limo works out better but I have a mid size SUV for around $475 from budget and then it is about $240 at the pier parking lot. Because you cross the border yes it could be against some rental company policies to do a one way rental. 

21 hours ago, scottb76 said:

Flying in and out of Seattle so have it for the week. Because you are doing a back to back maybe the cost for the limo works out better but I have a mid size SUV for around $475 from budget and then it is about $240 at the pier parking lot. Because you cross the border yes it could be against some rental company policies to do a one way rental. 

Ah yes. Fortunately or unfortunately, we are doing a b2b, so the cost for 2 weeks + parking is more expensive than the car service.

I'm hoping that changes!

All of a sudden I can rent a car from Budget.

Managed to get two one-way rentals for just 24 hours (pick in Seattle, drop off in Vancouver) and take advantage of a up to 40% off sale: https://slickdeals.net/f/15756607-select-users-budget-rent-select-vehicle-save-up-to-40-off-taxes-fees-apply?src=frontpage

Saved a ton of money.

• AshleyDillo changed the title to xSAILEDx Serenade of the Seas - May 29, 2022 Roll Call