Vaccine and Insurance

I understand that now Royal Caribbean has implemented that if a person is not vaccinated they MUST have travel insurance if leaving out of Florida.  My question is that RCL has had a Royal ship with vaccinated crew aboard that all tested positive, I believe there were 8 or 9 of them.  And the Celebrity ship had two vaccinated passengers that tested positive.  My conclusion here is if someone is testing positive and are vaccinated, shouldn't they also be required to carry insurance, since they would need to be removed from the ship?  So for all concerned maybe it would be a good idea to require ALL passengers to carry insurance, since they have experienced vaccinated people testing positive. Or is RCL going to absorb the cost of disembarking the vaccinated positive people? Which if this is the case the cost of the cruise will go up for all passengers.

26 minutes ago, Justneedtocruise said:

Or is RCL going to absorb the cost of disembarking the vaccinated positive people?

This.

From the Healthy Sail Center Page at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center:

Vaccinated guests and children not yet eligible to be vaccinated who book a Royal Caribbean International cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 will have the following COVID-19 Assistance at no extra charge.

If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Traveling Party.

For what it’s worth, Royal, other cruise lines, and most travel agents have always recommended you have travel insurance even before covid.  We have always used travel insurance and consider it a requirement that is added to the budget for the trip. While we use Royals Travel Protection Program option,  we have begun the process of looking at an annual policy so that it would cover other trips.

sure, it’s not been “required”, but if your get sick while at sea the price tag could easily ruin your finances.

It is my understanding that vaccinated individuals weren't fully vaccinate...i.e they hadn't made it to the 2 week after period of being fully vaccinated. The original policy was that vaccinated people would be covered by RCG policy. But with allowing all people to cruise, I think things have changed.

But I think having some sort of travel insurance is important as well.

29 minutes ago, Pooch said:

And weren’t the 2 passengers on Celebrity unvaccinated teenagers?

Celebrity Millennium was 2 vaccinated adults.  Adventure was 2 unvaccinated, but eligible, teenagers but this was prior to the travel insurance requirement and their cruise was prior to the restriction that all eligible ages had to be vaccinated.

The truth is, the insurance requirement for unvaxxed pax is more of a negative incentivizer to dissuade unvaxxed pax from cruising than it is a real need to insure them.  It may be working to weed out some unvaxxed pax (the truth is, I don't think there are really that many of us !!!!) but for us, the harder they try and push us out, the harder we are pushing back.  They may get me in the end, but I won't go down without a fight.

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The truth is, the insurance requirement for unvaxxed pax is more of a negative incentivizer to dissuade unvaxxed pax from cruising than it is a real need to insure them.  It may be working to weed out some unvaxxed pax (the truth is, I don't think there are really that many of us !!!!) but for us, the harder they try and push us out, the harder we are pushing back.  They may get me in the end, but I won't go down without a fight.

And you have kept a remarkably good attitude about it all!  I appreciate your positive attitude and insight!

13 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

For what it’s worth, Royal, other cruise lines, and most travel agents have always recommended you have travel insurance even before covid.  We have always used travel insurance and consider it a requirement that is added to the budget for the trip. While we use Royals Travel Protection Program option,  we have begun the process of looking at an annual policy so that it would cover other trips.

sure, it’s not been “required”, but if your get sick while at sea the price tag could easily ruin your finances.

Agree, we've always had travel insurance, but we've only needed to use it for luggage problems.

I have 2 eligible but unvaccinated teenage boys. Husband (physician) and I are fully vaccinated.  There have been 3 cases of myocarditis around his hospital. We are still weighing the risk / benefit of the vaccine as our whole state (population 1.4 million) is averaging only 22 cases per day.  We have a 3 day cruise booked (grand suite) out of Florida in February.  I can justify about 10% extra ($300) total, above that I’ll cancel. I already have a fully refundable concierge room booked at Universal Studios ready to go as an alternative. 

1 hour ago, Jkaczano said:

I have 2 eligible but unvaccinated teenage boys. Husband (physician) and I are fully vaccinated.  There have been 3 cases of myocarditis around his hospital. We are still weighing the risk / benefit of the vaccine as our whole state (population 1.4 million) is averaging only 22 cases per day.  We have a 3 day cruise booked (grand suite) out of Florida in February.  I can justify about 10% extra ($300) total, above that I’ll cancel. I already have a fully refundable concierge room booked at Universal Studios ready to go as an alternative. 

Shh...don't talk about the side effects for the younger population. This could get you in hot water.

A demographic, as per CDC data (for whatever that is worth), which is largely unaffected by Covid-19. 

Ive booked my first RCCL cruise for Oct. 30 out of Cape Canaveral and I hope Ill be able to cruise, but Im with you WAAYTOOO.  I don't plan on getting the vaccine, nor do I think I need it.  Latest studies show that those who've had covid don't necessarily need the vaccine and those with a natural immunity may not either. (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/new-study-determines-people-whove-had-covid-19-dont-need-to-get-vaccinated) Why are the cruise lines differentiating between those who've had the virus, thus now have the antibodies, vs those who've been vaccinated?  Let me add that as. I sit in front of my keyboard typing this, Im quarantined and in my 6th day of covid.  Now here's the kicker.  My wife, whose had the vaccine (yes, both shots 2 months ago) also tested positive two days after me.  We've found out since she tested positive that the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the virus (obviously), it just lessens the symptoms.  Why am I being treated like a second class citizen?

26 minutes ago, CCI said:

Ive booked my first RCCL cruise for Oct. 30 out of Cape Canaveral and I hope Ill be able to cruise, but Im with you WAAYTOOO.  I don't plan on getting the vaccine, nor do I think I need it.  Latest studies show that those who've had covid don't necessarily need the vaccine and those with a natural immunity may not either. (https://www.healthline.com/health-news/new-study-determines-people-whove-had-covid-19-dont-need-to-get-vaccinated) Why are the cruise lines differentiating between those who've had the virus, thus now have the antibodies, vs those who've been vaccinated?  Let me add that as. I sit in front of my keyboard typing this, Im quarantined and in my 6th day of covid.  Now here's the kicker.  My wife, whose had the vaccine (yes, both shots 2 months ago) also tested positive two days after me.  We've found out since she tested positive that the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting the virus (obviously), it just lessens the symptoms.  Why am I being treated like a second class citizen?

UGH.  I hope you are over it soon and fully recover.  So have you confirmed that your wife actually DOES have COVID or was it a false positive ?

I wish I could claim that I have been immoculated (inoculated by natural immunity) but I took an antibody test a few weeks ago and I have no antibodies....so it's prophylaxis for me.

Regarding your Oct cruise, let's hope that by then you won't be forced to get insurance.  A lot can happen between now and then.  We are still looking into the requirements for insurance but what I really need is for Royal to confirm exactly what I need and whether or not what I have is sufficient.  Of COURSE the insurance company is going to try and sell me MORE insurance...I don't really consider them to be an impartial judge of what I need.  But so far, nobody at RCCL can tell me whether or not I am covered per THEIR requirements.  Insane.

I certainly hope that the CDC and ultimately, the cruise companies, come to their senses and realize that those who have natural immunity do NOT need the injection.  I think things are trending in that direction.  Fingers crossed for you.

On 6/30/2021 at 5:12 PM, AshleyDillo said:

This.

From the Healthy Sail Center Page at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center:

Not to disagree with a moderator I would suggest calling Royal directly because below is a copy and paste directly from Royal Caribbean Healthy Sail center when you dig into specific departures. I think it all depends on where your cruise is departing from there is no one size fits all.

Will I require travel insurance for my cruise departing from Florida in 2021?

A

For cruises departing from Florida homeports from August 1 through December 31, 2021, as a condition of boarding, each unvaccinated guest 12 or older must provide proof of a valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation and no COVID-19 exclusions. 

The insurance policy must name the unvaccinated guest as the policy holder or beneficiary, and may be purchased from a travel insurance company of the guest’s choosing or through the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program, which includes the requisite coverage.

This policy applies to sailings from August 1 through December 31, 2021, and all bookings — except bookings made between March 19, 2021 and June 28, 2021.

To be considered fully vaccinated, guests must receive their final dose of the vaccine 14 days before sailing and provide documentation such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 vaccination card. Guests who do not or cannot provide proof of vaccination will be considered unvaccinated and subject to these terms.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-require-travel-insurance-for-my-cruise

As you can see in this excerpt Royal states insurance must have coverage for emergency medical evacuation which doesn't sound like Royal will cover emergency travel expenses for adults who choose to cruise unvaccinated. 

Whenever I travel internationally I always have travel insurance, I look at it the same way I look at car insurance I've been driving for the past 26 or so years I've only used my insurance 1 time  but yet over that time I've paid who knows how many thousands of dollars to AllState .  But the one time I needed them they cam through I only paid $500 dollar deductible and AllState paid $22,000 dollars because the other driver who hit me wasn't insured (the cost of labor in Chicago is ridiculous). I've never needed travel insurance until 2018 on an MSC cruise and then we were medically disembarked and all hell broke loose. We had to pay for everything up front but we we're fully reimburse by our insurance.

15 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Not to disagree with a moderator I would suggest calling Royal directly because below is a copy and paste directly from Royal Caribbean Healthy Sail center when you dig into specific departures. I think it all depends on where your cruise is departing from there is no one size fits all.

A

For cruises departing from Florida homeports from August 1 through December 31, 2021, as a condition of boarding, each unvaccinated guest 12 or older must provide proof of a valid travel insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation and no COVID-19 exclusions. 

The insurance policy must name the unvaccinated guest as the policy holder or beneficiary, and may be purchased from a travel insurance company of the guest’s choosing or through the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program, which includes the requisite coverage.

This policy applies to sailings from August 1 through December 31, 2021, and all bookings — except bookings made between March 19, 2021 and June 28, 2021.

To be considered fully vaccinated, guests must receive their final dose of the vaccine 14 days before sailing and provide documentation such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control COVID-19 vaccination card. Guests who do not or cannot provide proof of vaccination will be considered unvaccinated and subject to these terms.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-require-travel-insurance-for-my-cruise

As you can see in this excerpt Royal states insurance must have coverage for emergency medical evacuation which doesn't sound like Royal will cover emergency travel expenses for adults who choose to cruise unvaccinated. 

WOW ! Thank you, @JasonOasis.  This is completely different information than I have seen before.  There is no mention of "quarantine" at all and the 2 categories that they list are easy to verify.  I wonder if the language that included "quarantine" has been deleted.  That would be SOOOO helpful.

No false positive.. She definitely has it, but neither of us are experiencing much symptoms.  We both feel like we have a cold, and not even a bad one.  I have lost my sense of smell but still have a sense of taste.  She has lost neither.  The cruise insurance requirement irritates me, but I usually take out insurance anyway.  I just got off the phone with the Florida Dept of health for our county (Okaloosa) and took the opportunity to ask a few questions, such as, why would my wife get it after full vaccination?  How much do we really know about natural immunity vs vaccination or having had the virus.  At the end of the conversation, I surmised that we are still learning about it and so much of this is speculation.  Do a little research (Im staying away from CDC or WHO, or even liberal news outlets) and Im seeing more that would support my stance rather than convince me otherwise.

36 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

No disagreement here.  What I quoted was with respect to the question of Royal covering costs for those vaccinated who aren't required to purchase a policy.

UGH.  Sorry to hear that she has it too but very happy to hear that you both have mild cases.  It seems to me that "breakthrough" cases, like you wife's are far more common than they had thought originally.  I know, personally, many people who have received the injection and still got COVID but at least no one that I know has been seriously ill so that's a BIG plus.

23 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

A

Whenever I travel internationally I always have travel insurance, I look at it the same way I look at car insurance I've been driving for the past 26 or so years I've only used my insurance 1 time  but yet over that time I've paid who knows how many thousands of dollars to AllState .  But the one time I needed them they cam through I only paid $500 dollar deductible and AllState paid $22,000 dollars because the other driver who hit me wasn't insured (the cost of labor in Chicago is ridiculous). I've never needed travel insurance until 2018 on an MSC cruise and then we were medically disembarked and all hell broke loose. We had to pay for everything up front but we we're fully reimburse by our insurance.

Why is it when I look it up it says sailing until end oct???

Screenshot_20210703-131213_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 hours ago, Marlena said:

Why is it when I look it up it says sailing until end oct???

That's referring to the provided coverage for vaccinated guests and ineligible for vaccination guests (under 12s right now).  No clue why the date for that is different than the end date on the requirement for those who are no not vaccinated to need insurance. 

34 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

That is when the CSO runs out.

Hmmmmm ...... not sure. Certainly the CSO expires 10/31/2021 but it's not the CSO that is directing this policy. It's RCL. To my knowledge there isn't any language or protocols in the CSO that direct guests to have travel insurance. I just did a quick review of the CDC's Technical Instructions and didn't see anything doing this.

The best information from RCL is going to be we will continually monitor, yada, yada and update protocols as necessary. It's not much to go on but if you're sailing before October 31st and are traveling with unvaccinated pax, per RCL, you'll need travel insurance. It is a PITA. I think we are all finding that as we plan for and then embark on a cruise ship in this era, there are a lot of hoops to jump through and inconveniences like masking on board. I posted this in the Celebrity thread but will repost it here. It's a chart that lays out pre-boarding hoops, terminal and shipboard health requirements (including the wide array of vaccination, mask or no masks required protocols) in an easy to locate and learn what you need to know and do. (link below).

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Celebrity-Healthy-At-Sea-Protocols-v2.pdf

To sooth nerves of those having pending cruise plans, I'm sailing on Apex from Paireus (Athens) on July 9th. I am receiving regular updates that include everything an arriving, then boarding guest needs to have done in advance or will be subject to at the cruise terminal. I'm obsessive about not encountering surprises so, i''ve been checking and rechecking stuff daily (we fly out of Miami on Thursday July 8th, fortunately a couple of days after Elsa passes through!!!)

Everything Celebrity sends me via email is a repeat of what I already know on my own but it gets reinforced and  reaffirmed as official and is nicely presented in clear language and illustrations. The whole thing is too big to capture and paste but I did paste the first page to demonstrate how Celebrity (and I assume RCL) will present what you need to know and/or do before you go and during all phases of your travel/cruise. Following this header, each of the tabs in the header are fleshed out in detail. 

image.png.25f1054151a050d7f246d8f6e8f993bf.png

I am assuming, and perhaps I shouldn't, that once the CSO expires RCL will change its policy to strongly recommends. I realize that RCL is doing this so as to save money by not paying for transport and possibly quarantine of infected passengers. But the significance of the date is the CSO will expire. I guess the CDC could extend and change it.

Question does travel insurance pay for Covid infection while on a trip? 

• 2 weeks later...

We also are booked on an Oct 24th cruise out of Florida, been tested for the antibodies of which came back positive.  And according to Cleveland Clinic the antibodies are better then the vaccine.   Currently Cleveland Clinic is following people that had it 11 months ago and still have the antibodies. I really think this needs to be considered.  As far as I know people going to places such as Disney, Los Vegas do not have to go through what the cruise have to.  If the requirements don't change we will be canceling.  We are seasoned cruises, 35 of them, and will truly miss going.  But I am not up for an experimental vaccine when I personally know someone who almost died from getting it.  I believe vaccines do work but this is way too new for my liking and they (the government) is pushing way too hard, something is not right.  They are also undermining the cruise lines, as they always do!

6 hours ago, Justneedtocruise said:

As far as I know people going to places such as Disney, Los Vegas do not have to go through what the cruise have to.  

People going to LAS Vegas or Disney are not stuck in a confined space with 1000s of others! They can go home and isolate, admittedly they should be tested for other illnesses just for the fact they want to go to these places in the 1st place ?