Royal Caribbean will require unvaccinated guests to get Covid covering travel insurance for Florida cruises:

24 minutes ago, JeffB said:

There was not a safety signal identified at time of last VaST report (May 17th): reports of myocarditis after COVID-19 vaccination did not differ from expected baseline rates – Multiple causes of myocarditis, including: viral infections (cold viruses, COVID-19), bacterial infections (Lyme disease), etc.

Yes, based on May 17 data.

Based on current data though:

12 minutes ago, JeffB said:

Thank you for your response @Jkaczano

New Hampshire has been recognized as a leading state in managing the SARS2 pandemic. The low seroprevalence does mitigate toward the rationality of your viewpoint on vaccinating your children. I've always held that COVID and it's impact is regional and generalizations that consider the entire US can, themselves, be misleading.

Having said that, the level of regional transmission in your state is still considered high (see the link below). So, to me, that would seem to mitigate toward vaccinating them. This statement, also at the link, seems to indicate a low occurrence rate of myocarditis such that, as the chart I posted above shows, the risks of Myocarditis from the mRNA vaccines are exceedingly low while the risk of COVID infections inthe cohort we are talking about is still fairly high:

There was not a safety signal identified at time of last VaST report (May 17th): reports of myocarditis after COVID-19 vaccination did not differ from expected baseline rates – Multiple causes of myocarditis, including: viral infections (cold viruses, COVID-19), bacterial infections (Lyme disease), etc.

https://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/cdcs/covid19/documents/hcp-call-presentation-052721.pdf

I respect your position though vis-vis your children not getting vaccinated. Just keep an open mind and be convincible.

@JeffB  I think we’re all a product of what we see and experience.  I’m sure your opinion is based on your experience and what you’re seeing.   NH is a small state and 3 cases at a small regional hospital are concerning.   I have 2 healthy teenage males whose close contacts have all been vaccinated, are homeschooled, in a state that’s been managing the pandemic relatively well.  Based on what we’ve seen, I think that the CDC is under reporting, but I have the benefit of time to see how it all shakes out and make a decision.  You’re right about keeping an open mind and looking at all data. We continue to look at risk/benefit weekly and if cases start rising again, we have discussed the possibility of 1 dose.   I hope that as new data comes out, that you too keep an open mind and appreciate that some of us  are making what we feel are the best choices at the time. 

Your points are taken, @smokeybandit I read the article. I was unaware of Prasad whose made a name for himself pummeling the CDC. Nevertheless his 5 failures section of the article is a worthwhile read in forming perspective and listening to both sides.

There is no question that how the CDC presents its data and how others do is subject to legitimate debate. Despite this, I think the predominant messaging from the scientific and medical community is that the risks of COVID among unvaccinated children is higher than the risk of myocarditis in that cohort. that is a nation wide perspective and I think regionality is missed as @Jkaczanonotes. There are those that disagree with the CDC's recommendations. Prasad is one of them. I practiced medicine as a PA for 22 years. One thing I learned: Doctors don't agree on much.

One can parse the data and Vinay Prasad does a lot of this in an effort to disparage the CDC's position on vaccinating kids ..... it's like piling on. They've made errors. It's easy. Walenski, whenever she opens her mouth, usually inserts her foot. As I've held all along the CDC is terrible at messaging. I read a short Twitter exchange between Vinjay and Rochelle. He's merciless.

OTH, the CDC collects the data and does a pretty good job of doing that and interpreting it. Others might disagree and that is understandable in science and among researchers that are looking at this emerging PH threat. Like I said, nothing in science is certain until it is absolutely proven so and that rarely happens.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:22 AM, Loops said:

Please recognize that the Florida Law doesn’t go into effect until this month.  So while Celebrity has taken an approach of coercing passengers into showing proof that they have been vaccinated by declaring them unvaccinated without showing such doesn’t mean they will be able to do that going forward.  It’s really going to come down to how seriously Florida will enforce the new law.  We’ll have to wait and see.

Don’t get me wrong… I’m vaccinated and I really have no problem showing proof of such for any reasonable purpose to which I include cruising but I don’t make or enforce the laws.  Ron DeSantis has a deeply held concern about the “show me your papers” mentality that I respect.  We will know soon enough whether the cruise industry sailing from Florida can treat you differently if you state that you are vaccinated but provide no documented proof.

What’s really concerning is what I have read of the RCCL insurance requirement is that they have made no documented allowance for people who had COVID and now possess the antibodies.  Why should they have to get vaccinated to avoid the insurance requirement?  A recent Washington University Medical School study has concluded that those having the antibodies as a result of contracting COVID are protected as well as those who took the vaccine and it is likely for their lifetime.  RCCL needs to revise their position to address those people.

Just a follow up, as the Florida "vaccine law" is now official and enforceable.  

We are seeing many reports that Freedom of the Seas is asking for vaccine proof in exchange for a less restricted on board experience.

10 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

Just a follow up, as the Florida "vaccine law" is now official and enforceable.  

We are seeing many reports that Freedom of the Seas is asking for vaccine proof in exchange for a less restricted on board experience.

I am also getting reports that you get a wristband for being vaccinated.  I'm not sure how I feel about them going that route when they could have noted it more discretely, but I suppose it is easier to tell who belongs in the all-vaccinated venues that way without having to check ID at the door.

16 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I am also getting reports that you get a wristband for being vaccinated.  I'm not sure how I feel about them going that route when they could have noted it more discretely, but I suppose it is easier to tell who belongs in the all-vaccinated venues that way without having to check ID at the door.

Unfortunately discretion doesn't lend itself to this situation.  The staff needs to be able to identify the vaccinated individuals easily and without undue interruption of normal activities.

I am not a big fan of anything on my wrists (no watch or bracelets) but I guess it is a small price to pay for the time being.