Royal Caribbean will require unvaccinated guests to get Covid covering travel insurance for Florida cruises:

”Royal Caribbean International said on Tuesday it would require unvaccinated guests over 12 years of age traveling from Florida to show proof of insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, quarantine and evacuation.”

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/royal-caribbean-ask-unvaccinated-guests-florida-cruises-travel-insurance-2021-06-29/

• ChrisK2793 changed the title to Royal Caribbean will require unvaccinated guests to get travel insurance for Florida cruises
  • ChrisK2793 changed the title to Royal Caribbean will require unvaccinated guests to get Covid covering travel insurance for Florida cruises:
30 minutes ago, ConstantCruiser said:

Is there some restriction on having a thread where people can discuss news items even if they’ve already been posted as a news story on the blog here?  I’m not asking to be rude, just curious because this is the second time I’ve posted something that didn’t have a thread and someone referenced it on the blog and last time they also made a comment that it was already on the blog.

13 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Is there some restriction on having a thread where people can discuss news items even if they’ve already been posted as a news story on the blog here?  I’m not asking to be rude, just curious because this is the second time I’ve posted something that didn’t have a thread and someone referenced it on the blog and last time they also made a comment that it was already on the blog.

I say post away! It is good to have many perspectives! ?

20 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Post away...   just want anyone who visits this thread to see it from this site and get it straight from the source.

Since RCCL cannot request proof of vaccination how will they know who is unvaccinated?  They can ask, but no one is required to be truthful and what about passengers who have had COVID and possess antibodies.  Another Ill conceived requirement!  Looks like RCCL wants to get in the insurance business.

9 minutes ago, Marlena said:

So if a vaccinated passenger or an under 12 requires evacuation due to covid RC will cover it?

They will cover it upfront, however they're going to pass the cost on to the individual/family at a later time I'm sure.  They can recommend that you have travel insurance that covers medical evacuations...it falls on you, the consumer to purchase. 

38 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Many of us die hard cruisers know that there is a whole lot of click bait out there when it comes to cruising. Not saying at all that you are posting click bait, but whenever news breaks out about cruising, @Matt is on it right away and we all know from past history that he will only post if accurate and correct. It’s a solid, reliable source and that is why we share and reference it.  Just another way that we are supporting the blog community that we all love. 

27 minutes ago, Loops said:

Since RCCL cannot request proof of vaccination how will they know who is unvaccinated.  They can ask, but no one is required to be truthful and what about passengers who have had COVID and possess antibodies.  Another I’ll conceived requirement!

Everyone 12+ has to purchase an insurance policy that covers COVID.  However, if you can prove you are vaccinated they will accept that in lieu of proof of insurance. 

13 minutes ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Between the Covid tests and the health insurance, my costs have increased by roughly $1,000 to $1,500.  Time to just refund my money without a hassle RCL.  I didn't sign up for these additional costs.  

I think that’s their ultimate goal ….. to make unvaccinated people 12 and over not go on their cruises ….. at least for the time being 

8 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I think that’s their ultimate goal ….. to make unvaccinated people 12 and over not go on their cruises ….. at least for the time being 

That's fine, I don't begrudge them for that but it should not be such a hassle to get a refund.  My request has gone unanswered for 2 weeks.  I've been told the protocols for August 21st have not been announced and that's why I have not received a response.  But lets face it, based on what the chairman and CEO has said in the media, the protocols are not going to change materially for unvaccinated people between now and then

17 minutes ago, JSB_Z51 said:

I've been told the protocols for August 21st have not been announced and that's why I have not received a response.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=florida-august

I'd direct them to that page and point out the language:

If you do not wish to undergo or pay for additional testing, or adhere to these health and safety protocols, we are happy to provide you with a refund. 

Now if they haven't directed their employees how to go about issuing these refunds, that's a whole other issue.

52 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Everyone 12+ has to purchase an insurance policy that covers COVID.  However, if you can prove you are vaccinated they will accept that in lieu of proof of insurance. 

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Florida law regarding the subject.  They cannot ask for proof of vaccination as a condition of service.  And requiring insurance for service in response to an inquiry that they cannot legally make (“if you can prove”) constitutes an illegitimate attempt to circumnavigate the law that wouldn’t last a microsecond in any court challenge.

55 minutes ago, Loops said:

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Florida law regarding the subject.  They cannot ask for proof of vaccination as a condition of service.  And requiring insurance for service in response to an inquiry that they cannot legally make (“if you can prove”) constitutes an illegitimate attempt to circumnavigate the law that wouldn’t last a microsecond in any court challenge.

The law only says they can’t REQUIRE you to show proof of vaccination to receive service ….. they’re getting around the law by saying NOBODY has to prove they’re vaccinated to take their cruise ……. BUT the law doesn’t say that they can’t say that EVERYBODY vaccinated or unvaccinated has to follow certain requirements unless they VOLUNTARILY decide on their own to show proof of vaccination …… it’s a big glaring loophole in the law, but it is there.

I am in the process of vetting this requirement right now.  I have an annual travel insurance policy that more than covers the medical evacuation requirement but the policy does not mention the word "quarantine" anywhere.  The agent with whom I spoke yesterday was not able to determine whether or not we are covered.

The thing that is the most confusing (even to the insurers) is the fact that Royal has lumped "quarantine" and "medical evacuation" into the same $$ coverage requirement.  They are 2 completely separate coverage items (according to Allianz).  "Quarantine" should be part of the "Trip Interruption" coverage and "Medical Evacuation" is, of course, part of "Emergency Transportation".  So this is completely unknown for me at this time.  A supervisor is supposed to be calling me to discuss but, of course, this hasn't happened yet.

Add to that the turd that@twangsterthrew into the punch bowl this morning by announcing that today is the deadline for cancelling July and August cruises.  LOL  Now panic has set in.  I sure hope you're wrong about this one, buddy.  I  need more time !  Poor @michelle.  She is completely consumed with family matters and I am throwing my own turd at her with this request to find out for SURE if today is my deadline to cancel or forever be f'cked with all of these additional complications.

Whether any of this is legal or not, matters not, to me, right now.  I will comply if I am able but I don't think I have time if the deadline to cancel is today.  I may have to cancel due to an expiring shot clock.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

For unrelated reasons, I talked to Allianz today about the evacuation coverage. They said they wouldn't necessarily cover a similar scenario to last week's Adventure evac because it wasn't a medical evacuation to seek better medical care. 

Thanks.  Typical different answers from different agents.  They must be trained by the same people that train the Royal CSR's.

13 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

The law only says they can’t require you to show proof of vaccination to receive service ….. they’re getting around the law by saying NOBODY has to prove they’re vaccinated to take their cruise ……. BUT the law doesn’t say that they can’t say that EVERYBODY vaccinated or unvaccinated has to follow certain requirements unless they VOLUNTARILY decide on their own to show proof of vaccination …… it’s a big glaring loophole in the law, but it is there.

I think you are mistaken… there is no glaring loophole.  You can claim to be vaccinated without any requirement to show any form of proof and they have to accept your word for it.  I don’t disagree that they can set different conditions based on vaccination status but they cannot base that on your proving your status either voluntarily or involuntarily.  Don’t get me wrong, I am vaccinated and fully support people getting vaccinated but the Florida law is very clear and there isn’t the loophole you describe.  As I said that would constitute a feeble attempt to circumnavigate the law which would not withstand the most basic scrutiny.

10 minutes ago, Loops said:

I think you are mistaken… there is no glaring loophole.  You can claim to be vaccinated without any requirement to show any form of proof and they have to accept your word for it.  

Wow that is news to me.  I thought they basically assumed everyone was unvaccinated but if you showed proof you were, you had no restrictive protocols.  Interesting take.  I guess we will see for sure in time.

46 minutes ago, Loops said:

I think you are mistaken… there is no glaring loophole.  You can claim to be vaccinated without any requirement to show any form of proof and they have to accept your word for it.  I don’t disagree that they can set different conditions based on vaccination status but they cannot base that on your proving your status either voluntarily or involuntarily.  Don’t get me wrong, I am vaccinated and fully support people getting vaccinated but the Florida law is very clear and there isn’t the loophole you describe.  As I said that would constitute a feeble attempt to circumnavigate the law which would not withstand the most basic scrutiny.

You might want to read the actual section of SB 2006 that deals with the vaccine passport ban ….. nowhere does it say they have to accept your word that you’re vaccinated.  It only says they can’t REQUIRE you to show proof of vaccination “to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business operations” ….. it also says it “does not otherwise restrict businesses from instituting screening protocols” which is a huge opening for individual interpretation ….. see below: 

Section 18. Section 381.00316, Florida Statutes, is created
  to read:
       381.00316 COVID-19 vaccine documentation.—
       (1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include
  any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or
  customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19
  vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry
  upon, or service from the business operations in this state.
  This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from
  instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or
  controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
       (2) A governmental entity as defined in s. 768.38 may not
  require persons to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19

Here’s a link to the entire text of the law ….. vaccine passports are only covered in section 18 on lines 1119 thru 1155

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/2006/BillText/er/HTML

15 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

You might want to read the actual section of SB 2006 that deals with the vaccine passport ban ….. nowhere does it say they have to accept your word that you’re vaccinated.  It only says they can’t REQUIRE you to show proof of vaccination “to gain access to, entry upon, or service from the business” ….. it also says it doesn't restrict them from “screening protocols” which is a huge opening for interpretation ….. see below: 

Section 18. Section 381.00316, Florida Statutes, is created
  to read:
       381.00316 COVID-19 vaccine documentation.—
       (1) A business entity, as defined in s. 768.38 to include
  any business operating in this state, may not require patrons or
  customers to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19
  vaccination or post-infection recovery to gain access to, entry
  upon, or service from the business operations in this state.
  This subsection does not otherwise restrict businesses from
  instituting screening protocols consistent with authoritative or
  controlling government-issued guidance to protect public health.
       (2) A governmental entity as defined in s. 768.38 may not
  require persons to provide any documentation certifying COVID-19

Here’s a link to the entire text of the law ….. vaccine passports are only covered in section 18 on lines 1119 thru 1155

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/2006/BillText/er/HTML

We can agree to disagree.  Screening protocols has to do with testing, temperature checks, etc. that apply to all passengers whether they are vaccinated or not.  If you tell me that I will receive a different level of service (e.g. requiring me to wear a mask in public; having certain insurance coverage) based solely on my “proven” vaccination status you are in violation of the law.  It is precisely those behaviors that the law is designed to address.

1 hour ago, Loops said:

We can agree to disagree.  Screening protocols has to do with testing, temperature checks, etc. that apply to all passengers whether they are vaccinated or not.  If you tell me that I will receive a different level of service (e.g. requiring me to wear a mask in public; having certain insurance coverage) based solely on my “proven” vaccination status you are in violation of the law.  It is precisely those behaviors that the law is designed to address.

‘That’s where the huge glaring loophole comes in ….. nowhere in the law does it say they can’t provide an UPGRADED form of service if you VOLUNTARILY show them you’re vaccinated …… ONLY that they can’t require it for you to enter or receive service.  Everyone receives the same entry, service, and has to follow the same requirements unless they voluntarily choose to show they’re vaccinated.

Ron DeSantis would have to instruct his State AG file a lawsuit against the cruise lines and and take it to court if he wants more read into the law than what it specifically says ….. I’ll bet my right arm that DeSantis isn’t going to say what Royal is doing violates the law as written.  He wants cruising started back in full force ASAP for the massive tax revenue and local economic benefits that go along with it.  

It’s also very rare when a court that isn’t pretty liberal rules that a law means more than a very strict reading of what the text says.

I still expect to find very few unvaccinated adults on these cruises.

I have no issue if someone doesn't want the vaccine. But I can't imagine there are many people that don't want the vaccine that are going to be perfectly happy with having to wear a mask all the time and not be able to use half the venues.

35 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

‘That’s where the huge glaring loophole comes in ….. nowhere in the law does it say they can’t provide an UPGRADED form of service if you VOLUNTARILY show them you’re vaccinated …… ONLY that they can’t require it for you to enter or receive service.  

Ron DeSantis would have to instruct his State AG file a lawsuit against the cruise lines and and take it to court if he wants more read into the law than what it specifically says ….. I’ll bet my right arm that DeSantis isn’t going to say what Royal is doing violates the law as written.  He wants cruising started back in full force ASAP for the massive tax revenue and local economic benefits that go along with it.  

Let’s just accept that you have a different interpretation.  I am a Ron DeSantis supporter but what he says about Royal’s practice doesn’t address anything but public opinion… what matters is the courts interpretation of the law.  And it doesn’t necessarily require an action by the state AG, as any negatively affected passenger or passenger group may very well have standing.  But in the spirit of  mutual respect, let’s end the back and forth.

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I still expect to find very few unvaccinated adults on these cruises.

I have no issue if someone doesn't want the vaccine. But I can't imagine there are many people that don't want the vaccine that are going to be perfectly happy with having to wear a mask all the time and not be able to use half the venues.

My sentiments exactly.

Like it or not, I see this as a situation where RCL is simply attempting to mitigate their legal/financial risks while navigating the ever-changing regulatory hurdles being thrown at the entire cruise industry. 

Whatever happened to the concert in Saint Petersburg, FL that offered a concert at $1,000 with a $980 discount to those who were willing to show proof of vaccination?

Did the AG go after them?  

Not trying to stir any pots, genuinely curious.  

Seems if that was considered "legal" so too might the cruise line's approach.  

35 minutes ago, ConstantCruiser said:

Whatever happened to the concert in Saint Petersburg, FL that offered a concert at $1,000 with a $980 discount to those who were willing to show proof of vaccination?

Did the AG go after them?  

Not trying to stir any pots, genuinely curious.  

Seems if that was considered "legal" so too might the cruise line's approach.  

The show actually SOLD OUT ….. No, they did not go after them.  DeSantis’ office did issue the following statement about it to the Washington Post when asked about it:

The governor’s office says the unorthodox PRICING violates Florida’s rules: “Charging higher ticket prices for individuals who do not furnish proof of vaccination unfairly discriminates against people who have enumerated rights under Florida law,” said Christina Pushaw, press secretary for the governor’s office, in an email to The Washington Post.

Other than that statement, nothing else was done by the state of Florida to stop it.  Attached is a link to the full article that talks about the governors response:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/05/29/florida-concert-price-vaccinated/%3foutputType=amp

Royal is charging the same BASE fare to everybody regardless of vaccination status.  

6 hours ago, mworkman said:

I would be curious to how a business can make you purchase insurance, since there isn't a law mandated saying so?

Should the business be on the hook for tens of thousands of dollars because someone didn't want the vaccine?  You have to be insured to rent a car... 

6 hours ago, Loops said:

Since RCCL cannot request proof of vaccination how will they know who is unvaccinated?  They can ask, but no one is required to be truthful and what about passengers who have had COVID and possess antibodies.  Another Ill conceived requirement!  Looks like RCCL wants to get in the insurance business.

I believe the way it sits if you don't voluntarily show proof when "asked" you will be deemed unvaccinated and have to go through a mountain of poo... 

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I haven't noticed this to be the case

I have... I use my insurance which does cover  rentals. My Father in law (foreign) has to get from rental company... We did this on regular basis til he passed last year... 

2 hours ago, deep1 said:

I'm enterprise and every single time they ask and even when I say yes they try to upsell me. Most states require insured drivers... Some companies just pack insurance into a contract without saying anything...

Do they ask you show them your proof of insurance card?   Do they assume that you’re a liar if you don’t present them with a proof of insurance card?  Do they tell you that you are considered uninsured and that they are going to subject you to a bunch of poo or do they take your word for it?  It certainly wouldn’t be smart business to start a business transaction saying that they distrust you.  They could ask you to sign a document stating that you’re insured… that would probably be OK and afford them the protection they are seeking.