AT&T cruise plan

Has anyone used the AT&T cruise plan https://www.att.com/international/cruise-packages/

I booked voom surf and stream with my drink package and it came out to about $100, same as the ATT plus ATT has a $50 talk and text no data plus both ATT plans are priced per month. Don't need much usage but traveling with two other couples and would like to be able to text amongst the six of us for logistics but I do like to check my home security system now and again. The Att cruise plan includes the ports we visit and costs about what voom does. Not sure of it covers coco cay but voom does. Has anyone done both and can compare the experience.

I looked into this and determined that the Voom package was the better choice. 200mbs of data will go quickly unless you make a concerted effort to avoid it. Sign up for the international plan for ports. It works really well and it's $10 a day that you actually use it.

You can use an app like whatsapp to text if your normal text program doesn't support web based texting.

Long story short, unless you have a very specific need avoid the cruise package and just enable WiFi calling on your phone and you can call/text with the VOOM plan.  Most AT&T plans already cover Mexico without needing an international add on and if you really want cell coverage instead of VOOM you can just use Day Pass for $10/day while you're in the Bahamas.

Under no circumstances that sane people encounter should you leave cell service turned on while you're on a ship though.  Even with the cruise package just regular app updates, email, etc will blow through that data allotment, it's more designed for non smartphones.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The AT&T plan for cruise ships is a waste of money. Don't do it!

Agreed. I looked into the AT&T plan last year, and after doing the math as well as asking lots of questions on the AT&T chat app, I concluded we would hit our data caps way too quickly to even make it worthwhile. 

While the Voom packages are slightly more expensive than the AT&T plan, the benefits far outweigh the costs.

Oh, heck no.

Buy the wifi package (you'll probably want it anyway), put your phone in airplane mode with wifi on, and use wifi calling.  AT&T has wifi calling.  There's a short activation process when you first turn it on.  I'd probably do that from home before your cruise.  I've used it many times onboard and up at our cabin out in the redwoods which has no cell service available.  Works just fine.