MDR bread rolls - cold?

So in fantasizing about my return to cruising (75 days!) I'm thinking about my MDR favorites and I'm reminded that the bread rolls aren't heated - or at least they weren't on our 2017 & 2019 trips. (and i think according to AK adventures weren't on Adventure this year either)

Which I find an odd choice because I know they were at least lightly warmed on our trip on Freedom in 2015.

Anyone know why they seem to have stopped heating them?

And more importantly...will they be heated if I ask?

They definitely wern't heated on AOS a few weeks ago.  I didn't ask if they would heat them although it definetly doesn't hurt to ask.

I also noticed that the MDR was extremely stingy with the butter for whatever reason.  They had the individual packs and only gave us a few in the butter dish - it was consistent at every meal (different tables at my time dining).  We asked for more and they brough more but it was definitely odd.

31 minutes ago, Linda R said:

I don't recall rolls in MDR ever to be warmed.  But they usually are in the specialty restaurants.   I love warm rolls and would be interesting to see what they would do if you asked them to be warmed?  I may have to ask on next cruise!

I'm planning on asking so I'll try to remember to come back here in 2 months and let you guys know how it worked. Lol

11 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Who needs a pat of butter, aren’t the rolls for sopping up the butter on the escargot???

but I'm too scared to try the snails....?

3 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I'm planning on asking so I'll try to remember to come back here in 2 months and let you guys know how it worked. Lol

The rolls were not cold, just room temperature.  I hope they warm them again

3 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Sorry CC, but, they aren't snails. They are escargot which is a French delicacy and especially prepared on RC ships. If you like a buttery sauce with over tones of garlic, these will rock your boat (sorry for the pun). The escargot have a very mild-almost not there flavor and the tenderness of sautéed scallop. The combination of the sauce, or what's left of it after the escargot have been consumed, a nice white white (I prefer a Pint Grigio) and that bread soaking (sopping) up the sauce is a taste bonanza that will not soon be forgotten. If you think you will still be afraid to try them, I recommend copius amounts of dry martinis before you enter the dining room. ?

16 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you try and just don't care for the escargot, don't eat them. Just pick them out of the copious remaining garlic butter and take advantage of sopping up with bread or pouring over your potatoes or vegetables when the main course arrives. Whatever you do - DON'T let them clear that plate until every drop of butter is consumed!

17 hours ago, Pooch said:

What’s to be afraid of?  It’s a cruise, if you don’t like them, move them to the side and get something else.  I always try new things on a cruise cuz you aren’t stuck with a dish you don’t like.

Haha. I know that's that cruise life but man let me tell you I *struggle* to waste food like that lol.

No judgement - seriously- just a thing ingrained in me from a thing age that I can't quite shake. Lol

2 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Haha. I know that's that cruise life but man let me tell you I *struggle* to waste food like that lol.

No judgement - seriously- just a thing ingrained in me from a thing age that I can't quite shake. Lol

Oh boy do I feel this one.  The Clean Plate Club guilt is real.

1 hour ago, barjpoe said:

I miss are the Savory Bites(sp?) and the Pumpkin seeded rolls.

Oh man, those are the BOMB!! Last cruise on the Anthem, we requested the savory bites and the next night and for the remaining nights we had them. But, they didn't have the dried tomato pieces in them like we had before on previous cruises. But they were still great. Talk about jealous stares from the adjoining tables! Oh well, the novices will learn. ?

10 minutes ago, rjac said:

Oh man, those are the BOMB!! Last cruise on the Anthem, we requested the savory bites and the next night and for the remaining nights we had them. But, they didn't have the dried tomato pieces in them like we had before on previous cruises. But they were still great. Talk about jealous stares from the adjoining tables! Oh well, the novices will learn. ?

I don'[t remember the tomatoes, but yes on the stares from other tables. I did some goggling and found a post that Matt many years ago ; it included a recipe to make a zillion? It called for 25 pounds of flour among other ingredients

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

The last time I cruised, back in 2019, I was able to ask for the savory bites and they brought me some. In fact, they brought me some without asking every night for the remainder of the cruise.

And did you get interesting looks from the other tables around you?

11 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

The last time I cruised, back in 2019, I was able to ask for the savory bites and they brought me some. In fact, they brought me some without asking every night for the remainder of the cruise.

If you ask for savory bites once, the smallest recipe they can make is several dozen so you're guaranteed to get them every night.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly (fortunately?) you don't have to pull them out of their shells - they've already done that. Kinda takes away the ick factor, but also takes away the fun.?? I would order them every night if I didn't think my waitstaff would judge me behind my back (or my gut! French Onion soup and Escargo every night does not sit well for me).

• 2 months later...

Update on the rolls!

They were just above room temp on Odyssey for my sep 11 sailing this year. They got warmer as the sailing went on....but this might have been due to the fact that our server made the effort to fill our basket with the cheese rolls so I imagine we may have been getting fresher ones.

Forgot to ask for the special rolls cuz I forgot what they were called hahaha