13 yo and vaccinations

So we will probably just have our daughter (who will be 13) get vaccinated, but the father of my daughter’s friend (who will be cruising as well) asked me “what if she refuses the shots?”

Told him I don’t know. This is the page on RC’s website:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=galveston

We are on the 8/15 Independence sailing, so basically have a week and a half to get started on the Pfizer regimen, in order to be finished 14 days before sail date. Woulda been nice if RC emailed us about this, rather than me finding out by heading over there on a whim. They’ve been very good at communicating that I “owe money” on drink packages paid and purchased from when we were supposed to originally have been on Liberty ?

1 hour ago, HtownHolly said:

So we will probably just have our daughter (who will be 13) get vaccinated, but the father of my daughter’s friend (who will be cruising as well) asked me “what if she refuses the shots?”

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=galveston

We are on the 8/15 Independence sailing, so basically have a week and a half to get started on the Pfizer regimen, in order to be finished 14 days before sail date. Woulda been nice if RC emailed us about this, rather than me finding out by heading over there on a whim. They’ve been very good at communicating that I “owe money” on drink packages paid and purchased from when we were supposed to originally have been on Liberty ?

They will have to wear a mask the entire cruise while inside and may be restricted from entering certain areas.  They will be forced to take a Covid test at their own expense.  If they get Covid, your entire party will most likely need to leave the ship at the next port after quarantining in your cabin until you get there.

There’s always the current option to cancel up until 48 hours before the cruise …….. then take it at a later date when vaccines may not be required.  They’re already not required for cruises leaving from Florida.

This is a difficult time for everyone involved.  Cruising during the initial restart (basically most of 2021) will require a bunch of adaptability.  It won't be for everyone.

Without getting into the protocols, if they are right or not, who is to blame, etc. - we are where we are.

Where you are it seems is a vaccinated family with a friend on the booking who at the moment is not.  That isn't much different than being a vaccinated parent of a child under age 12 who isn't eligible for any vaccine at the moment.

With that being said your choice is CWC and postpone into the future or have a discussion with the other family and come to a consensus with them that doesn't ruin any relationships. 

We all want this to be over but it isn't, yet.  Until our governments declare otherwise we all have to accept to play by their rules.

Since Galveston is requiring 12 and up to get vaccinated, then the friend won't be allowed to board.  I'm not sure how the refund situation will work if she pulls out completely as you are after final payment.  I'm not sure you can partially refund one member of the traveling party and get anything other than port taxes and fees back.  This is definitely a call and talk to your TA or call Royal situation if everyone else is going to sail.

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Since Galveston is requiring 12 and up to get vaccinated, then the friend won't be allowed to board.  I'm not sure how the refund situation will work if she pulls out completely as you are after final payment.  I'm not sure you can partially refund one member of the traveling party and get anything other than port taxes and fees back.  This is definitely a call and talk to your TA or call Royal situation if everyone else is going to sail.

isn’t it currently refundable up until 48 hours before the cruise?  I’m guessing the 2 families must have separate cabins and reservations  ….. unless the mom and dad of the 2 girls are dating and sharing a cabin.

8 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

isn’t it currently refundable up until 48 hours before the cruise?  I’m guessing the 2 families must have separate cabins and reservations  ….. unless the mom and dad of the 2 girls are dating and sharing a cabin.

I read it as though they're taking the friend as part of their party.

And it is cancelable for a FCC under CWC up to 48 hours, but again everyone has to cancel. The full refund @WAAAYTOOO is referring to was what they were offering for the Freedom passengers, which I think was only offered because it gives the unvaccinated an out of they weren't comfortable with the restrictions.  I don't believe they are offering refunds otherwise because of the vaccination requirements. 

Indy specific protocols here:

No mention of a refund option like Freedom.  

I think CWC is the entire reservation or not at all.  I've not heard of them allowing one person to CWC but leaving the booking intact for everyone else.

The important thing is not ruining friendships but the fate of the cruise appears to rest on the decision made by that friend. 

If they decide to vaccinate now the cruise can go for everyone. 

If they choose not to vaccinate and you sail without the friend their cruise fare isn't refundable or cancellable except for their taxes and port fees. Who paid for their portion of the cruise?  Will this approach ruin the friendship or insult the other family?

If you choose to CWC the cruise you all get FCC in your own names (including the friend who will get FCC in their name).   

15 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

@HtownHolly , You are on Indy’s first revenue sailing, how fun!

Assuming the friend is 12 or over?  Everyone 12 and  up are required to be vaccinated for that cruise.  If the friend chooses not to be vaccinated, she will be unable to cruise on that date.   What advice exactly is the friend’s Dad asking, other than can she board the cruise unvaccinated?  

Edited by Zurc
Typo

13 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m pretty sure that anyone who is unvaccinated and does not want to comply with the protocols can receive a full refund as opposed to FCC, if they choose that option.

This is true basically on a month-to-month basis. If you have a cruise booked for July 2022 as I do, they will not refund based on their new policy of making the unvaccinated cruise customers 2nd class. I was given the "policy is fluid" explanation and told to "wait and see" that it may change and was assured that at this time there are no full refunds available for any cruises other than freedom of the seas July 2021. 10 days after the call that might have expanded to include other near term cruises. I think you should call to check if the same refund is now available for unvaccinated passengers sailing out of Florida. 

Good luck. 

I'm on hold with RC now. The situation is this:

3 cabins booked
My husband & daughter (age 13) in one cabin
Other dad and his son (age 10) in one cabin
Me and other dad's daughter (age 13) in one cabin

We will get our daughter vaccinated. It's the other daughter booked in the room with me (and the 10yo) that are not vaccinated. (while typing this out, they answered) If you're 12+ and not vaccinated, you cannot board. Under 12 will be given a rapid test at the terminal prior to embarkation (at no cost). They did tell me that this is subject to change, and they might update in 30 days -- which is kind of pointless for the 8/15 sailing, but might impact other Indy cruises in like September.

The RC person also confirmed about offering OBC for any increase in onboard purchase due to rebooking from Liberty to Indy (or a refund, if all the OBC isn't used). So that's good.

1 hour ago, CruiseRoyalDad said:

This is true basically on a month-to-month basis. If you have a cruise booked for July 2022 as I do, they will not refund based on their new policy of making the unvaccinated cruise customers 2nd class. I was given the "policy is fluid" explanation and told to "wait and see" that it may change and was assured that at this time there are no full refunds available for any cruises other than freedom of the seas July 2021. 10 days after the call that might have expanded to include other near term cruises. I think you should call to check if the same refund is now available for unvaccinated passengers sailing out of Florida. 

Good luck. 

I can see July 2022 getting the policy is fluid response, but it shouldn't be limited to July 2021 in my opinion.  If they want to set these protocols then they should be open to allowing guests booked within 3 months or so decide that they aren't good with the protocols.  A "month by month" wait and see is a bit ridiculous.  Since they are effectively trying to reduce unvaccinated passengers, give them their money back.  They have had around 2 cruises worth of my money tied up since this time last year.

I'm on hold with RC now. The situation is this:

3 cabins booked
My husband & daughter (age 13) in one cabin
Other dad and his son (age 10) in one cabin
Me and other dad's daughter (age 13) in one cabin

The only I can see to do if the other family isn't going to get their daughter vaccinated is to see if they can't get your family in a 3-person room if your family still wishes to sail without them.  Then you can at least get the FCC for the other 2 rooms to use later.

We are scheduled to Cruise Symphony in August.  We will not be vaccinated and are pursuing a refund.  To date, Royal has said the refund option was only for those unvaccinated and not ok with the new protocols sailing on Freedom.  I am guessing the refund option will eventually apply to other sailings but for now it does not seem to.

So our TA told us that basically there is no way to change rooms now. Mixed in with this whole thing is that one of the rooms we had originally was a promenade view - apparently they aren’t having ANY interior rooms, including PV. So that one got reassigned to an Ocean View and it’s about the worst available (deck 9, all the way forward, port side corner). I had asked to see about changing to another room (even to pay for an upgrade to a balcony). Nope.

So there’s probably zero chance of us winding up in a 3-person room with just my family. Ugh.

2 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

So our TA told us that basically there is no way to change rooms now. Mixed in with this whole thing is that one of the rooms we had originally was a promenade view - apparently they aren’t having ANY interior rooms, including PV. So that one got reassigned to an Ocean View and it’s about the worst available (deck 9, all the way forward, port side corner). I had asked to see about changing to another room (even to pay for an upgrade to a balcony). Nope.

So there’s probably zero chance of us winding up in a 3-person room with just my family. Ugh.

@HtownHolly, I did a mock booking of your cruise date earlier, and it did show balconies available to be booked for 3 adults.   If your TA said you can’t change because final payment has been made, you could cancel with CWC and ask for your funds to be applied to new booking for 3 in a balcony.

I am not a TA, just know that there are balconies for 3 available to book right now.    Perhaps a TA on this site can give advice.

Or - Your TA may also say that since Royal changed your rooms and moved the daughter in a different deck, you want TA to have Royal Resolution  now to consolidate 2 cabins into 1 balcony.   I assume the room moved had you booked in as the adult?  You’d have to cancel the other child from your room first.  

There is a way to do it,  sounds like you may have to convince your TA.  

55 minutes ago, Zurc said:

@HtownHolly, I did a mock booking of your cruise date earlier, and it did show balconies available to be booked for 3 adults.   If your TA said you can’t change because final payment has been made, you could cancel with CWC and ask for your funds to be applied to new booking for 3 in a balcony.

I am not a TA, just know that there are balconies for 3 available to book right now.    Perhaps a TA on this site can give advice.

Or - Your TA may also say that since Royal changed your rooms and moved the daughter in a different deck, you want TA to have Royal Resolution  now to consolidate 2 cabins into 1 balcony.   I assume the room moved had you booked in as the adult?  You’d have to cancel the other child from your room first.  

There is a way to do it,  sounds like you may have to convince your TA.  

Both cabins were moved, from deck 8 (one balcony, one promenade view) to deck 9 (one balcony, one ocean view).

But how did you do a mock booking? It's not open to book. This is 8/15/2021 on Independence out of Galveston. image.thumb.png.19e984bd86198d830941231684ca8dfb.png

43 minutes ago, HtownHolly said:

Both cabins were moved, from deck 8 (one balcony, one promenade view) to deck 9 (one balcony, one ocean view).

But how did you do a mock booking? It's not open to book. This is 8/15/2021 on Independence out of Galveston. image.thumb.png.19e984bd86198d830941231684ca8dfb.png

it was earlier today - I wanted to see what rooms were left.   You are right - it no longer shows !

edit:

it’s possible I was looking at the wrong date.  So sorry!  Good luck 

16 minutes ago, Zurc said:

it was earlier today - I wanted to see what rooms were left.   You are right - it no longer shows !

edit:

it’s possible I was looking at the wrong date.  So sorry!  Good luck 

No worries ? I've been checking daily for a week. "Things may change" but for now, we are "stuck" with the cabins we have. First world problems, eh?

21 hours ago, JSB_Z51 said:

I am guessing the refund option will eventually apply to other sailings but for now it does not seem to.

I think you might just have to sit tight.  Right now the policies only apply to Freedom so only that ship qualifies for a refund.  When they release the policies for Symphony, I suspect that is when you will be offered a refund option.

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think you might just have to sit tight.  Right now the policies only apply to Freedom so only that ship qualifies for a refund.  When they release the policies for Symphony, I suspect that is when you will be offered a refund option.

Refund applies to all July and August sailings from Florida now.

30 minutes ago, ConstantCruiser said:

There may be a deadline to request a refund of today (June 30).

Isn't this referring to the refund offers for the ships affected by the start-up announcement?  They hadn't even published the Healthy Sail Center protocols at that point.

20 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Isn't this referring to the refund offers for the ships affected by the start-up announcement?  They hadn't even published the Healthy Sail Center protocols at that point.

That's why I said "may".  

The call centers are working from that chart.  That charts addresses all July and August sailings on all summer restart ships.  Will Royal send word to the call centers today to modify this?  Possibly.  We don't know.  

What is very possible is that a phone agent may use the chart and the deadline of today.

YMMV. 

15 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Well the other dad brought his daughter in to get her first dose of Pfizer, so... looks like the cruise experience will proceed! This will be their first cruise, too ? My daughter got first dose today as well.

Happy for both families, that you can share your first cruise adventure together.   Have fun!