Very nice monkey wrench in our cruise plans, advice?

Ok as everyone on here our cruise plans have been on hold for well over a year and are now pushed back to next summer. Well missing cruises so bad and not having a cruise in a few years now we booked a second cruise for next year, June 5th. So we sail June 5th and August 14th. Anyway a few weeks after we booked the June 5th cruise we found out we are pregnant. Baby due February so the June cruise is really not gonna work now because baby won't be 6 months old. The August cruise will just make it. 

Question is we can move the money from the June cruise to anywhere further out in the future right or at least that is what I read? The other question is how do we add the baby to the August sailing? Is it a pain to do, I mean we have a TA so I guess it'll just be a headache for him? Do they charge for 6 month old baby? 

I know it's not ideal to sail with a 6 month old but the August cruise is a lift and shift about 10 times from last year. We kinda have to do that one unless I don't understand the rules? Thanks for any help or advice. 

You may be able to cancel the June cruise under CWC and get a FCC that you can actually apply to your August cruise.  I

If you want to add the baby, yes, they will charge for a 6 month old.  It likely will cause a reprice of the current 2-person rate on that cruise.

But this definitely where having a TA do the work to get you straightened out will help.

Let your TA sort it out. Your situation is somewhat unique but as @AshleyDillopoints out the CWC program allows you to cancel without penalty. If there's an upcharge for your new baby at 8 months of age, it should not be full fare. Usually, third person in cabin comes at a reduced cost.

Congrats on the "bun in the oven."

@RCIfan1912Congratulations ??? cheers to you and that bundle of joy! I would CWC cancel June and apply to August. And definitely use a TA. My @Sharla is fantastic in navigating surprises. [email protected]. MEI agents have the best reputation. I confess I traveled once without her and I felt naked, lol. They are advocating for you 24/7. 

Congratulations!

CWC is available through April 30, 2022.  At the moment CWC isn't an option for a June 2022 cruise.

Worst case is a standard cancel that carries a $100 fee per person with the rest of the deposit made available as an FCC. 

However if your TA calls they might do something for you but you'll need to know the ship and sail date for the replacement cruise. 

You can price a future cruise with an infant by supplying any name.  "Baby" with your last name will suffice, then change the name at a later date.  This will lock in the rate for the 3rd guest in your cabin. 

Not all cabins can accommodate 3 guests and a baby is considered a full guest as the baby consumes one spot in the lifeboat allocated to a cabin.  Every guest regardless of age or size has their own spot in a lifeboat due to international conventions and regulations.  Unlike an airplane there is no "lap child" rule for a cruise or lifeboat.  If your existing cabin category contains an even number such as a 4V interior or 2D balcony that's not going to work for 3 guests.  

Congratulations!

If it were me, I wouldn't be thrilled about a vacation with a newborn for several reasons. (Disclaimer, no kids here). You're in a tricky situation, I'd suggest sailing before the baby is born, if you can change those sailings, BUT she cannot be more than 23 weeks, so you'd have to go soon.

Maybe a relative would love to babysit for a week while you're gone? Another option, maybe mom would love a solo cruise or cruise with her girlfriends while dad hangs back with the baby? Doesn't help your itch to cruise however.

I wasn't big on refundable cruises but now agree with @ConstantCruiser and others who advocate refundable fare. I did for my January 2022 cruise and will for another I'm considering. Too many unknown variables these days. Whatever you end up doing, try to work in refundable if at all possible. 

Edited by sk8erguy1978
add "disclaimer"

Thank you guys, I appreciate all the nice comments. We actually booked or really I did refundable on this one, so how does that help us? My TA, MEI said we can just move it to another cruise, how does that work? Just literally take the money paid in and move it to any cruise down the line? The August cruise is paid for already, its a Lift and shift so its all paid up or I think we owe 80 bucks because of taxes/port fee differences. Thanks again guys, truly appreciate everything.

58 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yes that was our first idea, its only 5 days but all of a sudden my wife is feeling bad in her words "dumping our new baby off" for 5 days. Our in laws LOVE kids and her mother is a nurse.

Most mom's are not going to want to leave a baby that age.  I would go ahead with the cruise. It will be nice to have someone doing everything for you!

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Yes that was our first idea, its only 5 days but all of a sudden my wife is feeling bad in her words "dumping our new baby off" for 5 days. Our in laws LOVE kids and her mother is a nurse.

SHe'll get over it.  Sell it as "rekindling her time" and book her a package in the spa ?

Our Daughter was 8 when we need to fly to Italy for a wedding a vacation (2 week trip)....we left my mother in law a rolling over and sitting up baby that slept through the night.  We got back a baby that could move (roll over or sit up) and didn't sleep....because she held the baby for 2 weeks straight ?

We sailed once with our entire family including an 8 month old grandson and all had a fantastic time.  Obviously this is up to you, but just chiming in that sailing with a baby can be great.  We booked a shady beach bed on Labadee and he napped the afternoon away.  I kept him for the day while his parents went scuba diving in Cozumel, so it was truly a fanstastic get away for all of us.   In Falmouth, we just walked around the port area and ate at Margaritaville, just kind of chillaxed:)  

I join those before me in offering congratulations!