Prepaid gratuities

ruffmup

My wife and I are going on our first cruise where we are paying for it. While I've been on many I was just a kid. I decided to do the pre-paid gratuities when I booked our cruise and I notice that in our drink packages it also included a gratuity fee. I will be tipping extra for really good service during the trip. However, I would assume most of the time I will not tip since we already paid for it.

I did this up front thinking I wouldn't have to worry about how much to tip or having to keep up with it throughout the trip.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

Thank you.

The pre-paid gratuities are for the daily recommended gratuities that go to your MDR wait staff and your stateroom attendant. 

As you mentioned, you can certainly tip more (by adding on at guest services, or simply giving cash).  I always keep some cash on hand for additional gratuity, but also to tip for room service, porters, etc.

Now, the drink packages include gratuity because without a drinking package, let's say you buy a $10 drink.  An 18% gratuity is automatically added on (again, you can add if you'd like), so your total would be $11.80.  If you have a beverage package and you go get that drink that would have been $10, how is your bartender tipped?  While I can't speak to the logistics (how it's tracked in their POS systems, etc), the short answer is that the 18% you pay in gratuity on your drink package makes it to the bar staff that helped you.

The pre-paid gratuities are for the daily recommended gratuities that go to your MDR wait staff and your stateroom attendant. 

As you mentioned, you can certainly tip more (by adding on at guest services, or simply giving cash).  I always keep some cash on hand for additional gratuity, but also to tip for room service, porters, etc.

Now, the drink packages include gratuity because without a drinking package, let's say you buy a $10 drink.  An 18% gratuity is automatically added on (again, you can add if you'd like), so your total would be $11.80.  If you have a beverage package and you go get that drink that would have been $10, how is your bartender tipped?  While I can't speak to the logistics (how it's tracked in their POS systems, etc), the short answer is that the 18% you pay in gratuity on your drink package makes it to the bar staff that helped you.

Hey thanks for the info. Yes I assume something like room service (I've asked them to go out of the way for me.) I would tip. Same goes with the porters. Would you suggest getting a porter when we embark? I've heard the disembark we should defiantly use them.

As far as recommending a porter, it all comes down to how much stuff you're bringing along and if you want to carry it.  There are no baggage fees or restrictions (within reason) like on airlines. 

Keep in mind that if you give anything to the porter (for which I'd recommend a $2/bag tip), you won't likely see it for a few hours when they appear at your stateroom door, and there may be things you need before then.  This means you should keep in some sort of carry on (or just in your pockets), medication, identification, cruise docs, etc. Want to hit the pool as soon as you board?  Bring a bathing suit in a carry on.  You may even want to bring clothes for dinner if you plan on dining very early.  This has never been an issue for me, but we usually dine quite late compared to most Americans.  

Lastly, know that your stateroom might not be available as soon as you board.  Commonly, staterooms are ready at around 1300 or so - which means if you board at 1030, you may have that carry on with you for a bit.  This is fun for me, as I usually bring a lot of camera equipment and other electronics that I don't like to check - so I'm hauling it all through lunch.

Whether you need a port or not while boarding is really dependent on how you arrive and where you drop off your luggage.  If they actually help you with your bags or whether you deliver them to a desk makes a big difference in how much I tip.  For disembarking the ship, however, a porter is priceless.  Not only will they help ensure that you get through the lines faster, they can be very helpful if one of your bags goes missing.  We had this happen in San Juan land it was ultimately the porter the located our missing bag as it had been mixed in with another number.

It is also customary to tip for room service if you utilize that service, so have some $1 bills handy.

I didn't understand the value of pre-paying gratuities and the RCI rep said it was my decision but strongly encouraged it. I had to book a 5th person to get the room I wanted but that person is not actually traveling with us so I don't want to pay tips for someone who isn't coming (I just wanted the space). As a new cruiser but my no means new traveler I am comfortable with tipping, extra fees etc and wasn't worried about a bill at the end of the trip either so is there any advantage to pre-paying? I don't get a discount so I'd rather keep my 500 bucks in the bank. Unless I am not understanding something, which is why I"m asking this question---

The only advantage of adding the gratuities to your reservation is that there's less being charged to your onboard account.  Thus, a smaller bill when you return home.  Also, if you're using the "my time" or flexible dining, they may require you to prepay the gratuities, but I thought they were doing away with that requirement.

I didn't understand the value of pre-paying gratuities and the RCI rep said it was my decision but strongly encouraged it. I had to book a 5th person to get the room I wanted but that person is not actually traveling with us so I don't want to pay tips for someone who isn't coming (I just wanted the space). As a new cruiser but my no means new traveler I am comfortable with tipping, extra fees etc and wasn't worried about a bill at the end of the trip either so is there any advantage to pre-paying? I don't get a discount so I'd rather keep my 500 bucks in the bank. Unless I am not understanding something, which is why I"m asking this question---

There are two possible advantages to pre-paying your gratuities...

1: Splitting up the total cost of your cruise, and not having the gratuities hit your SeaPass account, which means more money that you owe at the end of your cruise.

2: If RC increases the gratuity rate between when you pre-pay and your cruise, you will be "grandfathered" in under the old rate.

I always prepay grats, beverage packages and shore excursions because I don't want to end up with a huge bill at the end of a cruise.

I just returned from an 8 day cruise and tried to keep a record of all my tips, I know I left some off, but I started when I hit the airport and ended when I hit the airport at home again. This included porters, specialty restaurant waiters, taxis, van drivers in various ports, etc. The total I came up with was $75 and as I said I know I missed some. You really don't realize how much you spend on tipping until you keep a record of it. Some of these tips I feel the people don't really deserve but I don't want any kind of scene. When I arrived at the Port of Miami, before the porter even took my big piece of luggage, he told me he worked for tips, at which time I told him that he worked for a salary and tips were optional. It happened again when I returned from the cruise at the Port of Miami. The porter stated he worked for tips.

I think a lot of people find tipping to be a little uncomfortable which is reason itself to pre pay and I appreciate the idea of the tips amount being raised, an interesting notion. I appreciate all the insight and thoughts on this. We will likely most rely on our cabin steward (if that's what they are called) and room service people--I really hope that we will be in the restaurant often because I like the social aspect of it BUT my children don't always cooperate so......and I plan to tip people serving us directly early and well .... and then at the end if it's better (as it always is) I will tip again (in addition to whatever is on my sea pass account)...I don't mind because I like people to help me a lot and realize you get what you pay for.