Appropriate attire in MDR

From my experiences, the MDR dress code isn't very strictly enforced. I've gone to the dining room in shorts and a t-shirt on the first evening, which while not encouraged, doesn't cause any problems either. The hard fast rule tends to be that you can't go in without being entirely clothed (e.g. no swimsuits, undershirts, etc.)

Feel free to wear whatever you think is most appropriate for the setting. Just recognize not all guests will be of the same mindset and some may be a bit more dressed up while others a bit more dressed down.

Nice jeans are perfectly fine.  My wife will also wear a blouse sometimes with jeans, you should have absolutely no problem.

I agree the dress code rules are so infrequently enforced anyway but if you were to ask me, shorts, flip flops (beach flip flops, not the kind some women can pull off with the right outfit), or tank tops are really the hard and fast no-gos for MDR.

If the dress code is casual then its ok to wear shorts and t-shirt

For all other codes (including formal) you can get away wearing jeans and a polo.

I am not a fan of Formal nights, its just not me however I will general do formal properly at least once on a cruise but then just do pants/dark jeans and a shirt for the rest.

If the dress code is casual then its ok to wear shorts and t-shirt

Technically, that's against the suggestions and if you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt, they might not let you into the main dining room.

I'm taking this guidance from this page where it says:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

Technically, that's against the suggestions and if you are wearing shorts and a t-shirt, they might not let you into the main dining room.

I'm taking this guidance from this page where it says:

I took what I said from my 3 recent cruises with RCI.. The dress code is only a guide.. I was surprised they were letting people wear shorts but staff say its ok on "Casual nights" .. tank tops and thongs (flip-flops for Americans) are never permitted.

From the linked page:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

• Casual: Polo shirts and trousers for men, sundresses or trousers for women
  • Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or trouser suits for women
  • Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

it does say "Suggested" not "Enforced"

This subject is up there with religion & politics; but one I think needs attention - primarily by RCI. Recognize the trend is rapidily becoming more & more casual & don't have a problem with that--if more & more casual is the standard. Every time RCI allows diners entrance to Chops or MDR in shorts & tank tops, or other similar attire on formal night they just redefined the dress standard. I use that more extreme example to demonstrate if diners will do that, the difference between the casual standard & what people will push it to doesn't stand a chance. If RCI defines the standard and then chooses to not set that expectation they should change the standard. Some will take the view point that it's my vacation so I'll wear whatever I choose so long as it doesn't offend others -- how would they know or do they care? I don't think it is too much to ask that dining attire match the RCI standard & definition, rather than a discussion about what you can get away with before they will invite you to enjoy you meal from room service. Yes, I was offended when I choose Chops for formal night for our anniversary & they seated a table of four next to us who looked like they had just come from the beach. Thats probably way more than enough time on that soap box.

Yes, I was offended when I choose Chops for formal night for our anniversary & they seated a table of four next to us who looked like they had just come from the beach. Thats probably way more than enough time on that soap box.

That's interesting that they would permit that in Chops. We saw them turn away many people from the speciality restaurants, even on casual nights, for inappropriate attire. The people returned more suitably dressed. I think as long as people are neat and tidy and not in beach attire, they should be permitted to the dining room any night, even formal nights. I honestly think dressing formal, as nice as it is "sometimes" it is still a relic of the past mostly clung onto by the older generations who's casual day wear used to be long pants and button up shirts. As with the new "Dynamic Dining" I think small tweaks/loosening of some of the rules are what will bring new cruisers on-board.

I pretty consistently wear nice shorts and a polo to the MDR, have never had anything close to a problem.

Formal nights - Slacks and a nice shirt

Chops Grille, etc. - Slacks and a nice shirt.

I know the policy is more dressy but have never had a problem with it and it is much more convenient and comfortable for me on vacation.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I had posted on the blog article comments but realized these forums are viewed more often. I have a suit for formal and slacks with button up collared shirts for every other night. My question is for my wife who will not wear cocktail dresses or one piece dresses as she says they are too form fitting. Are NICE 'Sunday's finest' fine( like something you'd wear to a wedding or funeral ) fine? I know opinions are split so I'm curious what yalls thoughts are. I'm a bit surprised that men get 2 options but women do not. We avoided the issue on our honeymoon 5 yrs ago as it was only a 4 night... however with 7 nights this time we would like to go to one formal so we can at least experience it finally.

Hi, I had posted on the blog article comments but realized these forums are viewed more often. I have a suit for formal and slacks with button up collared shirts for every other night. My question is for my wife who will not wear cocktail dresses or one piece dresses as she says they are too form fitting. Are NICE 'Sunday's finest' fine( like something you'd wear to a wedding or funeral ) fine? I know opinions are split so I'm curious what yalls thoughts are. I'm a bit surprised that men get 2 options but women do not. We avoided the issue on our honeymoon 5 yrs ago as it was only a 4 night... however with 7 nights this time we would like to go to one formal so we can at least experience it finally.

Your wife will be fine wearing a pant suit or women's dress slacks and a blouse. Not every woman onboard wears a floor length dress or cocktail dress. That is just a suggestion. 

I think your wife will be just fine with that plan.  Tell her not to worry