Post COVID Shutdown GTY Room Assignments - Limited capacity sailings

Hello! With sailings starting to resume, just wondering with your 2021 reservations which type of GTY room did you book and where you ended up? As many ships are sailing with limited capacity, I wanted to see if anyone scored a minor upgrade, or a more desirable room location. Also for those participating in RoyalUp for 2021 cruises, did you find it easier to successfully win a bid? 

I am sailing Allure on Sept 5 and still impatiently wondering what my GTY assignment will be ?

3 hours ago, adclay33 said:

I am sailing Allure on Sept 5 and still impatiently wondering what my GTY assignment will be ?

I will be on that Sept 5 Allure sailing as well.  Can't help you with your GTY survey as we've booked specific rooms in all upcoming sailings, but just wanted to welcome you to the message boards!

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, adclay33 said:

Not sure if it helps anyone, but as a point of reference, 31 days out for Allure and still no room assignment. However, we did bid on multiple rooms via RoyalUp. 

With all the rule changes and testing, the likelihood of actually snagging a RoyalUP room because of a last minute cancel is way higher than usual.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SarahJ said:

We are set to sail on 8/28 on Adventure and still show GTY. I haven’t heard anything about our Royal Up bids either but would just like to know before we get to the pier! 

8/21 AOS sailings started getting their Royal up bids accepted today — so imagine the sailing on the 28th will in a week.  It did seem as if gty did not get any acceptances today, but they didn’t assign all the available cabins, so there is still a possibility.  I’m not hearing of any gty assignments yet either

I'm in the same boat, not the Allure, but the same situation ? I have a GTY for a balcony room on the Symphony for Oct 16. I also went ahead a bid the minimum on a Royal Up for the extra large balcony room. I'm 59 days out and don't suspect I will know until maybe a week out or so?? Hoping with reduced capacity that we will score a nice room. Either way, we are just looking forward to being aboard a cruise ship again!

On 6/23/2021 at 2:07 PM, adclay33 said:

Hello! With sailings starting to resume, just wondering with your 2021 reservations which type of GTY room did you book and where you ended up? As many ships are sailing with limited capacity, I wanted to see if anyone scored a minor upgrade, or a more desirable room location. Also for those participating in RoyalUp for 2021 cruises, did you find it easier to successfully win a bid? 

In the past I've done multiple GTY rooms for both balconies and even suites and from my experience there is no set time for when Royal assigns GTY rooms.  I've had GTY rooms assigned in the past as early as 2 months out or as late as 2 weeks before a cruise.  I think once they process the RoyalUP request then they will process the GTY rooms.   With ships sailing at reduced capacity I think your chances of scoring a great GTY room are good and if you don't like the room or the floor they assign you just pick up the phone and call Royal they will change it to another room within the same category. 

On 6/23/2021 at 1:07 PM, adclay33 said:

Heading out on 8/22 and mine still shows GTY. Also, I bid super low on some of the Royal Up upgrades and all of them were unsuccessful. Hoping to see something soon!

15 minutes ago, crabkitty said:

Heading out on 8/22 and mine still shows GTY. Also, I bid super low on some of the Royal Up upgrades and all of them were unsuccessful. Hoping to see something soon!

It makes no sense how Royal does things at times ? You cruise before we do yet I just received my cabin assignment and I also bid the minimum on the next size room and it shows pending. Hope we get lucky.

We sailed out of Nassau on 8/7 and we also minimum bid for a Jr Suite for grins. Two days before we left we received the email that we won the bid. Larger room and a lot more storage space although we packed very lightly for the flight and did not use half the space. Was a great preview for our October cruise where we actually have a Jr Suite booked. Now I'll have to contend with trying to upgrade on all our future cruises.

11 hours ago, crabkitty said:

So, I lied. We were upgraded to a Junior Suite today, for our 8/22 sailing. We bid the lowest possible amount on the Junior Suite, and got the upgrade! Will be the first time that either of us have been in something other than an interior room.

Awesome! Yesterday morning our GTY interior stateroom was assigned (only 3 days out from sailing), In what I would consider a “not ideal” location— right next to the card room directly under the arcade ?.... seriously!?!?!? Fast forward 2 hours when our royal up bid was accepted for $20– one happy camper here! 

5 hours ago, Ch3l51 said:

Awesome! Yesterday morning our GTY interior stateroom was assigned (only 3 days out from sailing), In what I would consider a “not ideal” location— right next to the card room directly under the arcade ?.... seriously!?!?!? Fast forward 2 hours when our royal up bid was accepted for $20– one happy camper here! 

Oh good! So glad you got the Royal Up!! $20 is worth it, no matter what you got!

Sailing Allure 10/24/2021, first post ever after reading many.  Thanks for the great discussions.  Booked a GTY balcony XB category back in May, 61 days out and no assignment activity as of yet.  Interesting how much it can vary, but it has me thinking of reasons.  I think booking price has an impact on priority of assignment and Royal Up offers.  I booked awhile ago and would love a Royal Up opportunity, but would like a room assignment first.  Does anyone else think that by paying more up front leads to quicker room assignment and increased offers to Royal Up?

2 hours ago, adclay33 said:

To my surprise, got our cabin assignment today, interior, deck 12, so no upgrade from my GTY (interior guarantee, which of course is fine!), and assigned 12 days from sailing on Allure. Now to wait and see what happens with our RoyalUp bids!

I’m also on the 9/5 AOS, I have a GTY for OV Balcony, so far, crickets.

@KentNope, I don't think it matters as RoyalUp is a third party vendor. I also don't think when you book(early, close-in etc) or where (interior, balcony, suite etc) you book has anything to do with when they assign rooms.

I do think capacity and inventory determines when rooms are assigned. Maybe even C&A status might have something to do with it. RCG algorithms seem to be all over the place. My guess is they try to sell all the higher cabin categories first, then if bookings are slim and/or close to capacity they start assigning rooms. I would hope they would offer some of the better cabins to those who practice loyalty and then randomly assign the rest.

1 hour ago, EvilDuncan said:

Does anyone know if your status affects your chances of getting an upgrade? We are Diamond Plus and I was curious if it would help at all.

I've heard/been told that status does not matter, it's availability. Then again, nobody really knows how Royal does things at times! ?

36 minutes ago, Kamehameah said:

Harmony OTS of 2 September... still no cabin.

And when I try the Royal Up... I get this message: " Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days
Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered"

I’d guess there are no Royal Up opportunities available. 

We are sailing September 3rd and still have no cabin assignment.   A lot can happen between now and then, so we’re not concerned. 

Our Balcony Guarantee assignment for our 9/3 Adventure sailing showed up today...Balcony cabin #6568

Grand Suite bid is expired, Junior Suite bid is still pending.   We did our Royal Up bids on July 7th.

It's possible we could get a Junior Suite upgrade, but if not, we are content with the cabin we've been assigned.