2nd Cruise Booked

blawmtih

My wife and I took our first cruise in June for our 15th anniversary (4 day Bahamas) and absolutely fell in love with cruising.  We just booked our 2nd cruise, this time on Oasis.  It's a 7 day cruise to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel.  Any opinions on the ship or itinerary?  By the way, I received some advice on here for the first cruise and it was all on point so thanks!

Congratulations!  It sounds like you now have the cruise bug.

I haven't been on the Oasis yet myself, but I will be on her sister in the coming months and have done the Freedom class.  From everything I've read and what I've experienced on the Freedom class, you're in for a fabulous experience.  I'd also recommend, if your budget allows, to consider trying at least one of the specialty restaurants.

I haven't been to Jamaica yet, but will be their for the first time in 2018.  Somehow I've missed it and Labadee in all of my cruise with Royal and missed Jamaica in my 25 cruises.  Many talk about Dunn's River Falls.  Personally, I'm likely going to use Resorts for a Day or just go to Margaritaville.  In Cozumel, we went to a beach club, Mr. Sanchos, and really enjoyed the experience.

My wife and I took our first cruise in June for our 15th anniversary (4 day Bahamas) and absolutely fell in love with cruising.  We just booked our 2nd cruise, this time on Oasis.  It's a 7 day cruise to Labadee, Jamaica, and Cozumel.  Any opinions on the ship or itinerary?  By the way, I received some advice on here for the first cruise and it was all on point so thanks!

This web site and message board is amazing ..... I'm with you, the knowledge you gain here is invaluable, gives you the tools to be a seasoned cruiser without actually being a seasoned cruiser.

The Oasis class is impressive.  While I'm partial to more intimate ships, our Allure sailing with the RoyalCaribbeanBlog.com group cruise in Feb was an awesome experience.  While a big goal of my Caribbean cruise vacations is to relax, I'd make sure you try and cover as much of the ship as possible - there is just so much to offer.  One nice perk of this class: more deck space = no fight for deck chairs!

With regard to ports, I'm not sure your preferences, I'll share a few personal likes.  Labadee is a beach/beach activity day, and I'd take full advantage.  While the cabanas are expensive, I was sold on our last sailing - they're really nice to have.  If you happen to have a friend going on the same sailing you could split the cost, or just splurge - you're on vacation!  Next month we're looking forward to checking on some trails and areas part of the park previously present at Labadee - we didn't notice them until leaving but thought it would be something different.

In Cozumel we just like walking around.  It's an extremely safe and friendly city, and the best meals and deals can be had just a few blocks back from the main drag along the ocean.  

Falmouth has a secured port area with shops, but in my personal opinion, it's nothing special.  Outside of the port was some of the highest pressure selling we'd experienced in any country, and most don't like to venture out at all.  Since it's your first time, I'd be inclined to hit Dunns River Falls.  It's touristy, and common, but for good reason.  Be sure to book that through RCCL as any excurisons to the falls, Meagans Bay, etc are a bit of a bus ride, so the 'insurance' of the cruise line's excursion is probably worth it.

The rest of the time, like I said, enjoy the ship.  Check out this group of articles on the site all about the Oasis of The Seas!

http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/category/category/oasis-seas

We are going on Oasis again in December.  My wife loves the big boats, we've also done the Allure. I like the Freedom class.. Its smaller but still big.  Didn't like having to reserve for shows and there will be about 6000 people with you on board.  Though I never felt "crowded" you will know there are a lot of people there.  The windjammer always seemed to be packed (so is the Park Café) so try the main dining room for breakfast and lunch too (unless you're in a suite).  Be sure to try the rising tide bar, its nothing spectacular but at least you can say you did it. I would recommend Dazzles one night, but get there early for a table.  We also did the Prohibition event, but we aren't doing it this time.  Everyone gets dressed like the 20's, you get a pin to wear and a password to get in.  Only about 40 or 50 people get in so if you want to go you might want to book early (and free drinks).

I agree with monorailmedic, Falmouth isn't the best port.  We walked outside the gates once, only once and only for about 5 minutes.  Wife said she didn't feel safe with everyone hounding us to buy so we went back into the secured area.  Done a couple excursions in Jamaica, one was a tubing thing where they drive you up a mountain and you come down river in a tube.  Again, they want you to buy everything.

We did the zip line in Labadee, it was ok but we won't be doing it next time.  I didn't see the trails that monorailmedic mentioned but will look when we go back in December.

We really like Cozumel, you don't feel the pressure to buy stuff and we never felt un-safe. 

We did our first cruise this past April on the Oasis. I get a bit queasy in crowds shopping at Christmas time, so I wondered if I would feel ill on the Oasis. I also wondered if I'd be sea sick. (packed all kinds of meds and anti nausea wrist bands, etc) I never felt any of that! Yes, there are a LOT of people, but the boat is HUGE and it makes it rather exciting! (and less likely to get sea sick I think) Our first wake up breakfast we had a table overlooking the port of Nassau. As the week went on, and food and drink caught up with us, our zeal to wake up early waned. :-D So yes,the Windjammer was crowded but the food choices were wonderful, and we never wanted for a table.But it was way more crowded the more you sleep in! But next time we are going to try the MDR breakfast (did not know it existed till our last day of the cruise!) Someone said the ship is so large, you won't see it all. I thought that a bit exaggerated, but turns out we didn't see it all! We missed the ice show because Chef's Table folks were ridiculously friendly and the shots at the end of the meal courtesy of one of the new friends at the table, sealed the fact we would not get over to the ice show. We also never made it to Dazzles as we loved the Irish Pub casual atmosphere and the martini sipping in the velvet chairs of the smooth Jazz club. 

Oasis of the Seas is a grand lady and we felt honored to be a part of that. Sounds silly, I know, but we are attached! We'll see her next April, 2017. Do get a cheese cake pop at the Promenade Cafe, along with one of their little lobster roll sandwiches. Also be sure to get the fabulous roast beef slider at the Park Cafe. Walk along the walking/jogging trail and stop at the back of the sihip and sit in one of those wooden deck chairs and watch the water move as the boat sails along. Also, where the folks are getting their harnesses for the rock climbing, go up the stairs and around a corner, for more wooden deck chairs and railing to sit by yourself and enjoy the ocean. (make sure you have a drink in your hand) Or your kindle :-D   When we got home, we started to realize we had not done all we had sort of planned but that was fine. We had a wonderful time and will put those things at the top of our list. For sure we will see the ice show--and navigate away from generous new friends with shots in their hands. :-P

We have been on the Oasis and the Allure and thoroughly enjoyed them both.  The only times I felt the crowds were right after the shows and the elevators before dinner time.  I can't really give an honest opinion about the pool crowds or beach time in Labadee as I was born and raised in Florida and I don't lay in the sun and do cancer experiments anymore but one time we did do the Jet Ski thing in Labadee and really enjoyed it. In Jamaica years ago we did the plantation and Dunn River Falls tour and had a good time but what I would recommend to anyone that likes coffee to try the Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.  It is expensive but it is well worth it  Make sure it is the certified Jamaican Blue Mountain as there are some cheap imitations that are a rip off.  Also if there is any of the Peaberry Jamaican Blue Mountain try it also,  it is the cream of the crop for Jamaican Blue Mountain. If you like to shop it might be better to take the cruise excursion shopping trip to Ocho Rio that is 50 times better than Falmouth.  Ocho Rio used to be the old port that RC used to stop

I just wanted to jump in and tell you something you already know, and that is....Your hooked and there is no turning back now.

Good news is you came to the right spot for 'research'. In between these boards, the blogs and the podcasts there is a wealth of info at your fingertips. Periscope is a great place to discuss things with Matt and other cruisers aswell.

Best of luck.

Yes, hook line and sinker hooked, I felt so welcome on Enchantment.  I prepaid gratuities but ended up leaving our attendant another $50 because he was so great.  One morning he asked if we needed anything, all we had was flavored tea in the room so I asked if he could get me some Earl Grey tea.  We came back to the room and there was 40 packs of Earl Grey tea.  Now this was a grand suite, does that have anything to do with it?  This time since kiddies are going and it isn't our anniversary we opted for a promenade room, I hope the service is comparable.  The info on Jamaica saddens me a little.  We stopped at Nassau on the last cruise and I have never felt so pressured as I did in the straw market, surely it's not that bad.  When we did Coco we got on the first tender and came back with the crew on the last tender.  We loved it, and I've heard Labadee is even better.