How much luck with Royal Up?

6 minutes ago, VAmarshbag said:

Thank you to all that offered advice! I called and they couldn't let me know about royal up obv, but today all my offers are expired but one which is still pending. Is that good news? Or still too soon to tell? 

It's better news than all of them being expired!  That being said, a pending bid could go either way.  You really won't know until they tell you one way or the other, unfortunately.

Just got our first successful Royal Up notification (got the rejection notice at dinner in the MDR last time) for our sailing Saturday on Mariner. Moved from a 10th floor interior to an 8th floor Ocean View Balcony. My bid was $155 each, but I actually don't remember what the minimum was- it was either $100 or $150. I had other bids at about the same price on Spacious Ocean View Balcony, Junior Suite, and Panoramic Suite, plus $100 on the Panoramic room.

I happened to check last night, and the suites and panoramic rooms are all sold out*, but there were about 25 balconies available between the various options. Looks like that was enough for us to get one. (*sold out doesn't always mean full, but I expect this ship is close).

8 hours ago, sandc4e said:

That's usually a very good sign given my past experience.

Success! We were upgraded from an interior cabin to a spacious ocean view balcony. I bid $250 pp, maybe I could have gone lower, but it’s still a deal! Totally pumped and glad my kids won’t have to sleep above us in my husband’s “fart cloud.” (His words, not mine.)

• 2 weeks later...

Question for everyone in here who had success with winning upgrade bids doing RoyalUp. 

If I'm about to set sail in about 2 weeks from now and I have a balcony stateroom currently and I just went online at RC to see what rooms were still available and everything was sold out except for oceanview rooms.

So, based on this information, when do you recommend I place my bids, now or closer to the sail date, maybe 5-6 days out and how weak, fair or strong of an offer should I bid on everything?

8 minutes ago, Fiebs9 said:

So, based on this information, when do you recommend I place my bids, now or closer to the sail date, maybe 5-6 days out and how weak, fair or strong of an offer should I bid on everything?

Bid on whichever categories you would be comfortable in being in ANY room within that category and at whatever price you are comfortable paying. 

You can try to strategize timing all you want, but the nature of the program allows for last minute cancellations to be resold and acceptance of any single cabin's bid may be a result of a chain of other bids all the way down or up the line.

Remember, there may be someone in an inside room with a bid out there for a balcony..if you place a bid on a JS and someone cancels, the fact that someone wants your balcony room may be what triggers the acceptance. 

With a sailing in 2 weeks, Cruise with Confidence is still in effect so people can cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and still get an FCC. Plus they can cancel with proof of a positive COVID test and get a full refund. The inventory is fluid up until the ship sails away!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Lynda Mast said:

I bid for a large balcony room. And all we got was a bigger balcony, not more inside room.  Very pissed!

It's always good to research the different room types and what you may end up with prior to bidding.  Not that it helps you now, but it's just good practice for anyone.  Frankly, I enjoy a bigger balcony space, but unless the bid was very low, I wouldn't bother.  You'll still have an amazing cruise!

13 minutes ago, Lynda Mast said:

I bid for a large balcony room. And all we got was a bigger balcony, not more inside room.  Very upset!

Unfortunately (in this case), a large balcony room means a larger balcony not a larger room. I hope you will still enjoy your room and your cruise. 

22 minutes ago, bonzo1975 said:

I apologize if this has already been answered, but if I win an upgrade to a JS (we have a balcony, currently), do I get the double C&A points, or is that only if I book myself? TIA

From what I understand, it goes whatever your original booking is.  If you win Royal up, you will still only get single point.

• 4 weeks later...

"You will be notified on the final status of your upgrade up to day of your sailing, so please check your email up until the time of departure that day. If you do not receive any communication by 2 hours after sailing, your cabin has not been upgraded."

That would be odd and weird to set sail, only to find out that you have been upgraded. I guess they are waiting for any last minute cancellations to make sure the cruise is near capacity.

Just received this email...

"We have reviewed the RoyalUp bids for your upcoming sailing onboard Oasis of the Seas®, and while we have not selected your offer yet, the team onboard the ship may choose it for upgrade based on availability at departure time.

You will be able to modify or cancel your bid(s) up to 2 hours before departure on embarkation date. If you do not receive any communication by departure time, your cabin has not been upgraded.

If you do not wish to be upgraded onboard, you may cancel your offer by clicking the below link and following through with the cancellation steps. "

Anyone else get this and get approved on-board?

8 hours ago, SmoothJ24 said:

Just received this email...

"We have reviewed the RoyalUp bids for your upcoming sailing onboard Oasis of the Seas®, and while we have not selected your offer yet, the team onboard the ship may choose it for upgrade based on availability at departure time.

You will be able to modify or cancel your bid(s) up to 2 hours before departure on embarkation date. If you do not receive any communication by departure time, your cabin has not been upgraded.

If you do not wish to be upgraded onboard, you may cancel your offer by clicking the below link and following through with the cancellation steps. "

Anyone else get this and get approved on-board?

I have received this email and actually received the upgrade at the port. 

We currently have a JS booked for a UK sailing in Sep 22, along with the normal 2 x Ult drinks package.  I am looking at bidding on a number of upgrade options, some of which come with the UDP included.  The question is simple.  If I win an upgrade that includes the drinks package can I cancel or does this happen automatically?  Second question what upgrades include the drinks package?

6 hours ago, Earl said:

We currently have a JS booked for a UK sailing in Sep 22, along with the normal 2 x Ult drinks package.  I am looking at bidding on a number of upgrade options, some of which come with the UDP included.  The question is simple.  If I win an upgrade that includes the drinks package can I cancel or does this happen automatically?  Second question what upgrades include the drinks package?

Nothing is automatic.  The Cruise Planner isn't aware of your cabin and lets you purchase anything and everything.   

In the case of a Royal Up to Star Class where dining and drink packages are included your Genie will assist with refunding any redundant cruise planner purchases once on board.  

On 9/27/2021 at 10:41 PM, twangster said:

Depends.  Who did you book through?  Not all travel partners or travel agencies participate.  There is a well known big box retailer that offers cash cards but they don't participate so if you booked through, there won't be a  RoyalUp option.  Other big online type travel companies also do not participate in the upgrade program.  

Once you get away from the large online or warehouse type travel agencies most "regular" travel agencies do participate in RoyalUp.

We have a family cruise to Alaska next June (our 3 grown kids plus spouses).  I did the Big Box retailer in order to save them some money. Plus, I am "subsidizing" the trip (not in total, but they will get an Alaska cruise for about $750.  I will take their Cash Cards ($140 x 3) and I used my Visa which gave me 5% back. I am passing those savings on to the kids. I realize that there will be no Royal Up offer.

Then we booked another cruise this October with a TA and just got the chance for a RU.  We had already booked a Balcony room (mid ship). I have the chance to upgrade to a JS, Grand 1 Bdrm, and Grand 2 Bdrm.  I bid on the Grand 1b. Just over the minimum.  I'm happy with our balcony room as is.  Did not think that an upgrade to a JS would be that big of a difference and we just don't need a 2 bedroom cabin since it is just the 2 of us.

I see great value in moving from the Balcony to the Grand 1B.

Is moving from a Balcony to a JS worth paying another $700 or so? 

Here's a question I have about Royal Up (not sure if it's been answered here before.)

Do you think they deny bids if they're too small, even if they have available rooms? Like, are there minimums to what they'll accept (and by that I mean beyond the functional minimum that the dial on the website allows you to select.)

For example, if I bid $30 per person for an upgrade and for some reason there aren't very many bids for that cabin type for that particular sailing, do you think they'll take the $60 and give the upgrade or is there perhaps a view internally at RC that it cheapens the product if they're giving away room upgrades for so little?

15 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Do you think they deny bids if they're too small, even if they have available rooms? Like, are there minimums to what they'll accept (and by that I mean beyond the functional minimum that the dial on the website allows you to select.)

You can't bid below the minimum bid on the dial so you won't be able to enter bids smaller than that.

You also may have a different minimum than someone else for that same category.

If you have a bid in, the acceptance of the bid may be triggered by someone coming along who bids on your room category, so the combined threshold of accepting bids on both of those may be what they are willing to accept. We don't really know what the proprietary algorithm is 

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You can't bid below the minimum bid on the dial so you won't be able to enter bids smaller than that.

You also may have a different minimum than someone else for that same category.

If you have a bid in, the acceptance of the bid may be triggered by someone coming along who bids on your room category, so the combined threshold of accepting bids on both of those may be what they are willing to accept. We don't really know what the proprietary algorithm is 

Yeah I get that. I'm just wondering if they'll leave a room empty rather than grant a RoyalUp because they don't want to cheapen the experience. The minimums on the dial can be pretty low. Do they take every free room and give it to the highest bidder or do they turn down bids and leave them empty if the only bid is too low?

21 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Yeah I get that. I'm just wondering if they'll leave a room empty rather than grant a RoyalUp because they don't want to cheapen the experience. The minimums on the dial can be pretty low. Do they take every free room and give it to the highest bidder or do they turn down bids and leave them empty if the only bid is too low?

Money is money. I bet they take whatever they can get. If they were worried about too low they would not let the minimums be so low.

23 hours ago, jeffmw said:

Here's a question I have about Royal Up (not sure if it's been answered here before.)

For example, if I bid $30 per person for an upgrade and for some reason there aren't very many bids for that cabin type for that particular sailing, do you think they'll take the $60 and give the upgrade or is there perhaps a view internally at RC that it cheapens the product if they're giving away room upgrades for so little?

RCCL newbie here and just tried the RU.  So, I think my observations are correct.

There was a little "slider bar" that you pushed with your mouse (or right arrow key).  It started at Zero and then the next bid up was a set amount.  Each segment/increment of the slider bar was a set amount.  The minimum could be $100 (per person) with $10 or so increments. So, if there was a $100 minimum, you could not bid $101 or similar.  You have to slide up the segment.  The there is a little fan graphic that says how weak or strong your bid is.

See the example below - (I did not bid on these)

image.thumb.png.b6e4d1103015f214f04e42c932a11764.png

2 hours ago, CruisinMike said:

The only benefit I know of is the larger room.  You can check the room sizes on your ship and see if it's that important to you.

For 7 days, I would say it’s worth it for $700. The JS perks are nothing to brag about but the substantial size difference going from balcony to JS justifies that cost.