How much luck with Royal Up?

We just bid the minimum of $40 pp to go from a neighborhood balcony gty to an ocean view balcony on our January 30 Oasis cruise.  JS started at $300 pp.  we didn’t do that 

I kinda like the neighborhood balcony, but my wife likes the “excitement” of doing a Royal Up. $80 total is cheap enough if our bid happens to be accepted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Anthem and received an email on the way home that my bid for next week has been successful. I had bid on every category available and hoped something worked. So now I’m solo in a two bedroom grand suite that has capacity for eight. Oh, well…I’ll give my luggage it’s own bedroom and bathroom.

I went from a JS to the 2bd GS. I received the notification that my bid was accepted exactly one week from the sail date.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, BrianB said:

Today, while on the Anthem on the last day of a 9 night cruise, I received notification that my RoyalUp bid for an owner's suite has been accepted for the Anthem cruise on January 20. So twelve days prior to the cruise. This is the longest time pre-cruise that I was notified.

That's great news, Brian !!  I have never seen an OS on a Q class ship.  Please provide us with some stateroom info !!  Thanks !

1 hour ago, BrianB said:

Today, while on the Anthem on the last day of a 9 night cruise, I received notification that my RoyalUp bid for an owner's suite has been accepted for the Anthem cruise on January 20. So twelve days prior to the cruise. This is the longest time pre-cruise that I was notified.

I just put in a bid for the OS on Anthem for a Feb sailing. Send me your mojo 😁

14 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

General question to those recently finding out they got their RU bids...did you place weak bids or higher on the scale?

We have only had the opportunity twice to use RoyalUp.  We bid on what we can afford, and what makes the best value.  

Our bid that was accepted in October was just below mid-range.  The bid that we may have just got  for next week,  was lower, but no where close to the starting bid amount.  

So, I put in bids for my Mariner 24th sailing. All are expired and one is pending. I am told this is a good sign, plus I can't access the eDocs for this sailing, which leads me to believe I won. From an interior to a spacious panoramic ocean view.

I mention this to a person whom I compare vacations with, and they said a FB friend asked how RoyalUp works. This person asked someone who works for the third-party agency. They said it is first come, first served. Doesn't matter if the bid is high or minimum. It is when the bid is placed. This actually makes a bit of sense because I have read of people scoring expensive suites with a minimum bid and people who placed a high bid losing out. 

17 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

So, I put in bids for my Mariner 24th sailing. All are expired and one is pending. I am told this is a good sign, plus I can't access the eDocs for this sailing, which leads me to believe I won. From an interior to a spacious panoramic ocean view.

I mention this to a person whom I compare vacations with, and they said a FB friend asked how RoyalUp works. This person asked someone who works for the third-party agency. They said it is first come, first served. Doesn't matter if the bid is high or minimum. It is when the bid is placed. This actually makes a bit of sense because I have read of people scoring expensive suites with a minimum bid and people who placed a high bid losing out. 

It does have to do with the bid amount, and as well where you are already currently booked at (room Rate).  If you got a balcony and bid up to a suite, you have a better chance than if you have an interior trying to bid up to a suite.  If someone has a higher bid than you and is in a higher category already it will go to the higher category with the higher or equal bid amount.  It has nothing to do with on when the bid is placed...   

Plus they fill the top rooms 1st, then work there way down to what is left, when upgrading and filling rooms.

Also if you have a bid pending and all others have expired, it is a good sign.  But, it is still not guaranteed until they charge your card...

8 hours ago, Big Red said:

It does have to do with the bid amount, and as well where you are already currently booked at (room Rate).  If you got a balcony and bid up to a suite, you have a better chance than if you have an interior trying to bid up to a suite.  If someone has a higher bid than you and is in a higher category already it will go to the higher category with the higher or equal bid amount.  It has nothing to do with on when the bid is placed...   

Plus they fill the top rooms 1st, then work there way down to what is left, when upgrading and filling rooms.

Also if you have a bid pending and all others have expired, it is a good sign.  But, it is still not guaranteed until they charge your card...

I don't think they are holding rooms, if they aren't sold, they would rather take the first bid. They can't guarantee that waiting on GS to bid on a CLS at a high bid will happen. If a JS has a minimum bid in, they will probably get it. I agree they stack the rooms: moving and interior to a balcony, that balcony to a JS, the JS to a GS, the GS to star class or an OS. But that still includes a when factor, your post doesn't negate the "when" factor. I am not saying I agree with my FB buddy completely, but it makes sense because some people have won their bids by minimum. Also, it can still be when based off of your anecdotal examples. You can't bid from an interior to a suite. They have the cabin categories rising based on your initial room. An interior can only go as high as a balcony. A balcony can only go as high as a GS, while a jr. suite can go as high as possible. You example only rings true if no one has ever won a bid on the minimum, which so many people have. We have people in this thread who said they placed high bids and didn't win, while someone placed the minimum and did.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:11 AM, NonniLinda said:

What are the factors used by Royal in awarding upgrades? Or Is it random? 

I called today because I'm about 2 weeks out and was told it's "invite only"... but was also given an email to email them to ask for an invite.

There's def rooms avail to upgrade to... but I was quoted +$1,000. Wondering if it's bc I'm on Explorer?

22 minutes ago, CrusoeFam said:

Question - sorry if it’s been answered in another thread…. If you win a bid for a Sky Class suite, do you also get all the benefits of sky class?  Priority boarding and coastal dinner and all that stuff?  I’m new to this. Lol

Thanks in advance!!

Yes you do, but you do not get double points if moving from a balcony to a full suite.  If you have a Junior Suite you get double points already and would maintain those in Sky Class.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:39 PM, Big Red said:

For my cruise next week I just checked the site and it says everything is expired, except one bid(usually a good thing in my previous experience with this).  Looks like this may be the 1st time we will be sailing Star Class!  🤞

We officially just got the upgrade and charged this morning! 🤘🤘🤘 We got upgraded to Star Class Grand Panoramic Suite, on Allure of the Seas.  Just today we got contacted from the suite concierge to let us know our Genie would be reaching out shorty!  So stoked as this is our 1st experience in Star Class, and will most likely create blog on here before we sail out, to follow our experience in Star Class (1st timers), and to show/tell about the covid lock down procedures have changed since our last cruise in Oct 2021.

Sharing our bidding on this was we where offered every room in Star Class room 2-bedroom Aqua Theater, to the Royal Star Loft suite(we where booked in Sky Class Loft Suite).  

We bid the following per person;

Aqua Theater 2-bedroom max bid at $1,260 (min bid was around $360)

Star Loft Suite mid-range bid $1,555 (min bid $540)

*Grand Panoramic Suite just below mid range $2,200 (min bid $1,230)

Owners Panoramic Suite just below mid range $2225 (min bid $1,800)

Royal Star Loft Suite min bid $2,530(this one could go as high as around $5,500 max bid)

Surprised they took our "just below mid range bid' on the Grand Panoramic vs our "max bid amount" on the 2-bedroom(as both where available online), maybe it was the higher price point and they wanted to fill the Star Class Rooms...🤷‍♂️

Happy either way, if cruising on Allure this coming Sunday say hi!  We are in room #1758!  And I answer to Red(my hair color, and name of my business)

2 hours ago, PY_Mpls said:

Odyssey of the Sea for the 23rd and 2 of 3 of my bids have switched to expired, Junior Suite still showing pending!  Hopefully that is a good sign!  

We are on the sailing and I have bids on a crown loft and royal loft that say expired and a grand loft that says pending... our fingers are crossed we've got it. We are currently in an owners suite which is still great, but this would send us over the moon with excitement.