Stateroom location

I have another question...Do any of you have a location preference for an ocean view stateroom?  If I'm on the Oasis of the Seas and it's a busy floor like the boardwalk, would I hear lots of noise in my stateroom?

I'm looking to book this month and I noticed there are so many choices as far as location.  Just wondered what your opinions were on this.  Thank you!

In general, the rooms are pretty quiet. I had one bad experience with "noise bleed" while on Jewel of the Seas, but otherwise never heard a peep and I have stayed at rooms immediately near the elevators and other public spots.  Of course, what is noisy to one person may not be noisy to another.

If I can help it, I try to avoid rooms above or below a public space (restaurant, pool, etc).

After I booked on Grandeur, I was so wrapped up in making sure we were mid-ship (more for my wife's convenience) and I wanted to be sandwiched between two decks of cabins because of potential noise issues (We're on Deck 3 --- #3581) --- Yes, we went the cheap route because, as my wife says, "Who cares, we're not going to be in the cabin much, it's more for sleeping" -- can't argue that logic ........ Then the other day, I was comparing our room location to the elevator locations, and when I looked at Deck 4, I realized, I'm under the R Bar and the edge of the Centrum (nice) , there are no rooms above us --- the way the decks looked on paper fooled me until I started using other items, like elevators, as reference points..... Assuming we are late to bed folks because we want to party into the weee hours, I don't think this will be an issue because it's not like those areas are hopping at 7:00 in the morning.  We should be good, I'll certainly let you know after we get back.  But let this be a lesson, the printed deck diagrams can throw you a little bit.  Take a look at the Grandeur, deck maps, you'll see how I got fooled ...... Amateur mistake that won't get repeated again.

Unless you're a light sleeper, I wouldn't sweat it too much.  Do I check what is above and below me (as well as next to me)?  Sure.  Do I worry about it if I'm not in an ideal spot?  Nope.  I can only recall one sailing where it was an issue for me, decades ago when we were directly below a dance floor.  Now, others may have had different luck, or may be lighter sleepers.

Another influence is where you'll be spending most of your time.  If you know that multiple times a day you're going to be in a certain loung, on a certain part of one of the pool decks, etc - then plan an easy path to get to that point.  Consider possible bottle-necks, like the elevators closest to the main dining rooms, etc.

All of this in mind, I really wouldn't obsess over it.

I'm sailing on Independence on October and have opted for an inside staterrom with a guarantee - in other words wherever they put me!  I've got deck 7 - great - cabins above and below.  But... at the back - will it be rough going thorugh the Bay of Biscay?!  I don't think I can change the location if I don't like it.

I'm sailing on Independence on October and have opted for an inside staterrom with a guarantee - in other words wherever they put me!  I've got deck 7 - great - cabins above and below.  But... at the back - will it be rough going thorugh the Bay of Biscay?!  I don't think I can change the location if I don't like it.

On any guarantee cabin, you're stuck with the cabin they assign to you.  You can always upgrade if cabins are available, but you'll be paying the going rate at the time of the change.

We booked a last minute cruise on the Empress. We have never opted for a guaranteed room before or had an inside cabin (always go balcony) but the price was right so that's what we booked. Today, I saw that we have been assigned an ocean view cabin; so, it's a bit of an upgrade. My concern though is that are located right next to the elevator. I'm hoping there won't be too much noise but plan to bring my ear plugs just in case.

I've had concerned about being near the elevators thinking I'd hear people talk as they were waiting for the elevator to arrive or the ding of the elevator.  It never ended up being a problem.  If you're truly concerned, consider downloading a white noise app on your smartphone if you have one to cover up any noise that might otherwise creep into the cabin.

Our all time favorite was on the Freedom.  We had a balcony looking out the back of the boat.  The room and balcony was bigger.  These are hard to get.  For just the ocean view, on the Allure we got a room that looked out the front of the boat.  It was right under the bridge so it was quiet.  Only problem was at night we had to close the curtains if we had the lights on because it would cause a glare to the bridge.

Yes, that's true. We had the extended balcony on the hump, where the ship bows out. Every night, we had sound bleeding into the cabin until about 11 at night from the band in the Centrum. However, we weren't usually going to bed early being from the West coast and using a white noise app on our phone helped.

Sarah, if you look at an aerial view of the ships, they tend to have a small section that bows out a bit near midship. The balconies on these cabins are a bit larger than the average balcony. They're quite desirable, and called "hump rooms" in reference to how they stick out like a hump on th side of the ship. When I first heard this term, I thought they were talking about the cabins that some of the regulars on this blog were booking.

Excuse my ignorance - what is a "hump room"???

The "hump" is the section of the ship that if you are looking at the deck plans, appear to pop out and create a hump, relative to the rest of the ship.

Ranging in category from D1 through E2, these are among the largest balconies you can get and gives you an incredible amount of space for the money.

Our all time favorite was on the Freedom.  We had a balcony looking out the back of the boat.  The room and balcony was bigger.  These are hard to get.  For just the ocean view, on the Allure we got a room that looked out the front of the boat.  It was right under the bridge so it was quiet.  Only problem was at night we had to close the curtains if we had the lights on because it would cause a glare to the bridge.

I managed to get a balcony stateroom at the back of the ship a couple of years ago when we cruised from New Orleans to Barcelona. Brilliant! Maybe not recommended for anyone with walking difficulties as it was a fair walk from the lifts. You are right - they are very hard to get and I just couldn't believe my luck.