POST cruise testing - PCR

I know everything is still so fluid and so much can/will change as time goes on. However, has anyone heard if RC said they would offer travellers who need a negative PCR test to return home one on day 6 instead of the antigen test? As of now we need it before returning and if it could be done on the ship that would be a lot easier!

That being said maybe by DEC an antigen test is sufficient or no test...even better!

The US State Department web site (linked below) says this about testing and entry to the US for US citizens after foreign travel:

"You will need a viral test (NAAT or antigen test) to determine if you are currently infected with COVID-19." 

A NAAT - Nucleic Acid Amplification test - includes the PCR - also referred to as a molecular test. These are different from antigen tests (considered more accurate) but a negative antigen test which also tests for the presence of the SARS2 virus is fine for reentry to the US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/covid-19_testing_required_US_Entry.html

I'm booked on Celebrity Apex out of Athens on July 9th that returns there on July 17th. We'll be returning from Athens to Miami on the 17th as well. Regarding return to home testing, the Celebrity web site says this:

"An additional test will be administered onboard, free of charge, if required for homeport, or home country re-entry."

I'm reasonably certain that Celebrity's return to home, required reentry testing will be accomplished with antigen tests as a priority but may use rapid molecular testing (rapid PCR). I'm not certain about this. Antigen tests are less expensive and easier to process and handle. As far as I know the fleets of cruise ships sailing from US ports have been equipped with fully US certified laboratory's for processing molecular tests. I'm less sure about ships cruising from foreign ports who would be subject to the PH guidance of that country. Anyway, the antigen tests will be fine for US entry.

The CDC recommends that after foreign travel you get a viral test 3-5d after returning to the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

I actually feel that this is reasonable as vaccinated people are more likely, if they catch COVID while traveling, to be asymptomatic. The goal of PH authorities as control of SARS2 is gained in the US is to limit the potential for new COVID outbreaks. If you've been vaccinated and then get infected with a variant while traveling you may be asymptomatic but still shed virus and spread it to others who are not vaccinated. If you test positive, standard protocols pertain.

32 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I think the short answer is that if you need a PCR test to return to your home country, RC will not be providing that. At least for North AMerican cruises.

Yeah thats what I figured. Wondering how fast I can get one at the airport to fly out that day!

A number of major airports now have RT-PCR tests with 1 to 3 hour turn arounds. However, they are:

1) expensive, so expect $130 to $350 

2) very limited availability, so make an appointment as far in advance as you can

i track this very carefully, as Nicaragua (where I live right now) has insane entry testing requirements. I’m happy the share what I know for the folks that have different needs than straight US entry stuff! 

1 hour ago, Marlena said:

According to their site it seems pretty quick!

Screenshot_20210622-084315_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wow that is a surprise to me... much faster than when I ran PCR in the lab.  ?  Good news for anyone needing a rapid test.  Just make sure the test is approved for your destination. I keep reading stories of people flying to Hawaii with an 'unapproved' test and having to fly back to the mainland to get a test (which seems stupid to me but that is a whole other topic).

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC DOES have the ability to do PCR tests on board.  Surely you're not the only Canadian booked on a cruise for whom the antigen test wouldn't suffice.

So maybe as cruising increases they will offer it to international travellers! Now I have hope! Lol

When I made my post providing links to the CDC and US State Department, I did not realize you were from Canada - entirely different ball game. My apologies.  One travel related thing Canadians, unlike Americans, have to worry about is that Canada has been slow providing vaccines to it's citizens. Obviously, this complicates travel in the short term and probably for at least another 90-120d before that situation improves and I am reading that it is. Outside of that, you might be in much better shape although I expect testing is going to continue to be a requirement for unvaccinated travelers entering most countries and may continue even for vaccinated travers entering other countries well into 2022.

Out of my own interest, I found this information from the Government of Canada web site. It's current:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist

On 6/22/2021 at 5:16 PM, JeffB said:

When I made my post providing links to the CDC and US State Department, I did not realize you were from Canada - entirely different ball game. My apologies.  One travel related thing Canadians, unlike Americans, have to worry about is that Canada has been slow providing vaccines to it's citizens. Obviously, this complicates travel in the short term and probably for at least another 90-120d before that situation improves and I am reading that it is. Outside of that, you might be in much better shape although I expect testing is going to continue to be a requirement for unvaccinated travelers entering most countries and may continue even for vaccinated travers entering other countries well into 2022.

Out of my own interest, I found this information from the Government of Canada web site. It's current:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist

Thanks! Yeah as of right now we couldn't go just because my daughter is unvaccinated. We as medical professionals have been doubly vaccinated since early March. She would have to quarantine for 2 weeks still. 

My hope is by then ( dec) they accept antigen testing for return. 

Canadian, full Vaxx, travelling to Galveston for the Aug 22-29 cruise.  Need a PCR with 72 hours of returning to Canada. Everywhere I look for places to get tested in Galveston/Houston have turn around times of 24-72 hours which is to be expected.  I'm trying to determine if RCCL will offer this test (even for a fee) while on the ship otherwise I'll need to stay state side for another three days after the cruise.  Any insight would be appreciated.  

Thankfully I no longer need to quarantine when returning to Canada.  

Edited by Tanner
spelling

2 hours ago, Tanner said:

Canadian, full Vaxx, travelling to Galveston for the Aug 22-29 cruise.  Need a PCR with 72 hours of returning to Canada. Everywhere I look for places to get tested in Galveston/Houston have turn around times of 24-72 hours which is to be expected.  I'm trying to determine if RCCL will offer this test (even for a fee) while on the ship otherwise I'll need to stay state side for another three days after the cruise.  Any insight would be appreciated.  

Same!!! Hoping with cruising increasing they will offer it for international cruisers.

If I'm not mistaken, RCL will provide COVID testing on your cruise - type of test depending on where your are reentering  - at their cost in time for you to get results before you disembark, Just to make sure of this I looked at FAQs at the RCL web site as well as googling that question and came up with, yep RCL will do your reentry testing for you and it's free. Both sources say RCL will provide "testing to reenter your home country" - US or Canada. Great, what kind of test am I going to get and will it meet reentry requirements for Canada?

The Canadian government web site says "not and antigen test." for reentry. It does not say you have to have a "PCR" (Polymerase Chain Reaction for short also known as RT-PCR or Reverse Transcriptase PCR) Saying "not an antigen test" implies you need a "molecular test" - I know terms are confusing. This is the broad category of diagnostic testing for COVID that looks for viral particles, not SARS2 antigens) by several different means. Here's a nice visual:

https://www.fda.gov/media/140161/download

A ship doing reentry testing for passengers has to have a certified lab on board to do molecular tests.  There are too many variables that could produce an unexpected reentry denial outcome for me if I were a Canadian traveler. If you have a TA, my advice is to request them ask RCL what kind of reentry testing for Canadians you will receive for your specific cruise and have her send you RCL's response an an email or contact RCL and ask for the same.  

To be frank, asking for molecular (PCR) tests is overkill. Boarder agents should be doing screening not diagnosing. The RT-PCR test is the "Gold Standard" for diagnosing COVID. Hospitals use it. Antigen tests are the best for screening. The probable reason boarder agents in most countries want RT-PCR tests is that they are very accurate - upwards of 99% sensitive and specific for SARS2 if collection and processing are done correctly (another subject). Antigen tests are 98% sensitive and about 80-90% specific for SARS2. They are also easier to collect and process reducing errors. That is entirely adequate for screening purposes.

On 6/22/2021 at 4:17 PM, Marlena said:

Ok so what i really need is Canada to accept antigen tests...or require no tests by Dec! ?

Let's hope so. Wish the cruise lines would do the tests, and just charge us. Some of the AI resorts I've looked at include tests in their cost, which is nice.

2 hours ago, Tanner said:

If you need to stay in Houston, go to 100% Taquito at Southwest Freeway and Buffalo Speedway. Ummm, I've got nothing outside of that.

I've got the AZ/Moderna combo, so I'm hoping that won't be an impediment to a) getting into the US and b) cruising.

18 hours ago, JeffB said:

If I'm not mistaken, RCL will provide COVID testing on your cruise - type of test depending on where your are reentering  - at their cost in time for you to get results before you disembark, Just to make sure of this I looked at FAQs at the RCL web site as well as googling that question and came up with, yep RCL will do your reentry testing for you and it's free. Both sources say RCL will provide "testing to reenter your home country" - US or Canada. Great, what kind of test am I going to get and will it meet reentry requirements for Canada?

The Canadian government web site says "not and antigen test." for reentry. It does not say you have to have a "PCR" (Polymerase Chain Reaction for short also known as RT-PCR or Reverse Transcriptase PCR) Saying "not an antigen test" implies you need a "molecular test" - I know terms are confusing. This is the broad category of diagnostic testing for COVID that looks for viral particles, not SARS2 antigens) by several different means. Here's a nice visual:

https://www.fda.gov/media/140161/download

A ship doing reentry testing for passengers has to have a certified lab on board to do molecular tests.  There are too many variables that could produce an unexpected reentry denial outcome for me if I were a Canadian traveler. If you have a TA, my advice is to request them ask RCL what kind of reentry testing for Canadians you will receive for your specific cruise and have her send you RCL's response an an email or contact RCL and ask for the same.  

To be frank, asking for molecular (PCR) tests is overkill. Boarder agents should be doing screening not diagnosing. The RT-PCR test is the "Gold Standard" for diagnosing COVID. Hospitals use it. Antigen tests are the best for screening. The probable reason boarder agents in most countries want RT-PCR tests is that they are very accurate - upwards of 99% sensitive and specific for SARS2 if collection and processing are done correctly (another subject). Antigen tests are 98% sensitive and about 80-90% specific for SARS2. They are also easier to collect and process reducing errors. That is entirely adequate for screening purposes.

I've spoken with RCL social media team and they advised they only offer an antigen test on board.  Although I would certainly believe as I you have pointed out that they would have lab capabilities.  

For any other Canadians monitoring the thread I will update as soon as I hear back anything more official as antigen test will not cut it for us at present time.  

@Marlena @KWong

This is the official answer I got from RCL asking for PCR testing on board :

"Please be advised that, currently, only antigen testing will be available onboard. The situation is still changing, and you may want to inquire about your options while onboard. However, we may only advise you that we are unable to do the specific testing you require onboard and we recommend that you make other arrangements for this testing in order to meet the entry requirements for your country. Thank you for your understanding."

That was for Adventure , Maybe they will change it for other ceuises (from Europe ?)

Anyway , just returned from the US and did my test in NYC , 48 hours results test can cost from 145 $ or even 0 in some labs .

15 minutes PCR test cost around 250$ at the airport

That's why we did not took the cruise and replaced it with land tour in NYC ( highly recommend if you want to experience all the attention with zero queues ...)

Thanks for posting this info. I'm not Canadian but if I were and as I said, I would have been uncomfortable not knowing exactly what was available on the ship I was cruising on. I find it troubling that this seemingly loose end - can I really get the test I need to reenter the country I reside in before I debark - isn't officially addressed by RCL on their web site. 

On 6/24/2021 at 7:46 AM, Tanner said:

Here’s one place that does same-day PCR testing in Houston. Not sure on cost, but probably less than 3 days hotel plus food… https://elitecarehouston.com/covid-19-information/covid-19-testing-info/

9 hours ago, Traveler said:

15 minutes PCR test cost around 250$ at the airport

@Tanner IAH (George Bush Intercontinental Airport) in Houston does have the Rapid PCR testing, but it is $250 per test ($200 if they accept the NAAT Molecular) and you have to schedule it ahead of time.

https://www.xprescheck.com/

For a full family of folks it might be cheaper to just plan to hang the extra couple days in Houston after the cruise and get tested for free at Walgreens.

• 2 weeks later...

confirmed Canadians can get PCR test on board free of charge out of Galveston.  @Marlena @KWong

24 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Looks like Royal's protocols out of Texas will be the same as those out of FL.

INDEPENDENCE OF THE SEAS
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.creative.rccl.com%2Fe-lite%2FRCI%2F2014%2FMasters%2Femail_temp%2FHTML%2Fimages%2Fspacer.gif&t=1626373770&ymreqid=8ca5a1d0-9ff3-5b1f-1cff-d7073401fa00&sig=kels_M2Oz8Ls0oVFJhSfoQ--~D
Dear valued Travel Partners,

This is memory maxing from the Gulf Coast. Your clients can take thrills to the next level from Galveston, Texas onboard Independence of the Seas® and embark on island hopping journeys. And there are plenty of Texas-style adventures to be had even before they board — from Galveston’s amusement park thrills to spicy seafood sensations. 

Before we welcome booked guests back onboard with open arms this August, we would like to share some important details with you. Please ensure you carefully review the enclosed message to assist your booked clients. 

The information below applies only to sailings departing from Galveston, Texas on Independence of the Seas this August. We will continue to update these protocols as public health situations evolve. Your booked clients will be provided full details specific to their port of departure prior to sailing.  
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.creative.rccl.com%2Fe-lite%2FRCI%2F2014%2FMasters%2Femail_temp%2FHTML%2Fimages%2Fspacer.gif&t=1626373770&ymreqid=8ca5a1d0-9ff3-5b1f-1cff-d7073401fa00&sig=kels_M2Oz8Ls0oVFJhSfoQ--~D
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcreative.rccl.com
Pre-Cruise Requirements

Vaccination Requirement
All guests 12 years and older are required to bring proof of vaccination, such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) COVID-19 vaccination record card, with the final dose of the vaccine completed at least 14 days before sailing.

Testing
  • At the terminal: Unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 years are required to take a PCR test for COVID-19 when checking in.  Registration details for this test will be sent via email in advance. 
  • Prior to disembarking: Unvaccinated guests ages 2 to 11 years are required to take an antigen test onboard within 24 hours of the end of voyage. Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. Registration details will be provided during the cruise.
  • Both of these tests are complimentary. No testing is required for guests under age 2 years.
Going Ashore
  • At ports of call, fully vaccinated parties have the choice of booking a shore excursion or visiting freely. Parties that wish to go ashore and include any unvaccinated guests, including parents traveling with unvaccinated children, must book a shore excursion through Royal Caribbean that is provided by an independent local tour operator that has agreed to comply with recommended health protocols. Vaccinated parents wishing to go ashore freely can visit our youth facilities once onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability, and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port.
  • Shore excursions may be purchased in advance on the Cruise Planner website. Once onboard, they can be purchased at the shore excursions desk or by using the Royal Caribbean app. All guests are also subject to restrictions and requirements as defined by local authorities in the ports we visit. 
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcreative.rccl.com mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcreative.rccl.com

What to Expect Onboard
If guests have cruised with us before, they will notice some changes. Royal Caribbean, like all cruise companies sailing from U.S. ports, is guided by CDC regulations which currently govern many aspects of our operations. On the sailing, guests 12 years and older and all our crew will be vaccinated.

While we are ready to give all our guests an amazing vacation, we do want to share some details about the experience, so your clients know what to expect.Please note, a guest’s SeaPass card will be required to access lounges, shows, and dining venues, so it’s best to keep it handy at all times during the cruise. 

Face Masks and Physical Distancing  
  • When indoors, CDC guidelines require all guests 2 years and older to wear masks unless they are actively eating or drinking. The CDC makes allowances for guests to remove their masks in venues and events dedicated to fully vaccinated parties. Since so many of our guests are vaccinated, they’ll find plenty of these opportunities.
  • Masks are not required while in a guest’s own stateroom when with their traveling party or outside on the open decks, unless in a crowded setting. Updates will be shared as changes to the CDC mask guidelines occur.
  • Guests will find the boarding process and entire ship set up to allow for physical distancing, which is encouraged whenever interacting with those outside of a guest’s traveling party. 

Dining  
  • For Main Dining, we will designate areas for everyone, including parents and unvaccinated children, and areas for vaccinated parties only. My Time Dining will not be available to parties that include unvaccinated guests. 
  • Some specialty restaurants will be open to everyone, while others will be for vaccinated parties only. If a buffet is preferred, Windjammer will be open to everyone for breakfast and lunch, and the food will be served by our crew. We recommend that guests make dining reservations via Cruise Planner before the cruise or the Royal Caribbean app once onboard. Grab-and-go cafes will also be available for everyone.

Other Venues  
  • Theaters and activity venues will offer spaced seating with options for everyone and for vaccinated guests only. Show reservations can be made once onboard using the Royal Caribbean app. 
  • Youth spaces will be open to all children and teens. 
  • Spa services, except those offered in treatment rooms, are available to everyone.
  • The Fitness Center will have dedicated operating hours for everyone, as well as hours reserved for vaccinated guests only. 
  • The Casino will be open to vaccinated guests only.

What To Bring

Travel Documentation Checklist
  • A Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after the cruise, is strongly recommended. If guests do not have a Passport, they may present a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate (not a “baby feet” hospital certificate or baptismal paper). Guests age 16 years and older that choose to present a Birth Certificate will also need to provide a valid Driver’s License or picture ID card issued by the government.
  • A COVID-19 vaccination record card for each vaccinated guest with the final dose at least 14 days before sailing.

For additional protocol information, please click the link below to read the detailed FAQs.

Please note that health protocols are expected to change over time. Guidance for other ports and sailings is still in development with federal, state, and local authorities. We will update you and your booked clients as protocols change.  

On Adventure of the Seas, they could do PCR and Antigen testing onboard for the debarkation test, and when signing up for the test you could even select the one you needed. Several people I spoke with who had to have a PCR test to board after a positive Antigen test said they were able to simply get the PCR test first instead of going through that possibility again when they did their onboard debarkation test. This was from the 6/12 sailing on Adventure where they tested everyone before boarding with an Antigen test at check-in. Though similar things can happen during the B2B testing on Saturday morning onboard.

14 hours ago, Carotthat said:

So they have a fast PCR option on board or just colaborate with a lab on the pre-last port of call?

I searched the RC Homepage deeper and found - especially for our cruise from cyprus

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise#cyprus

If needed a complimentary onboard RT-PCR test can also be arranged for anyone that should require it to re-enter their country of residence. 

Yesterday I talked to a german RCL rep, they got some informations from passengers on JW (out of Limassol, CY) two weeks ago: The lab they are partnering with (ecofins) build up a complete testing facility in an open space on the ship.

BUT: there was no possibility to get an RT-PCR-Test. Only Antigen ?

I hope, this was a misunderstanding.

8 hours ago, Carotthat said:

Yesterday I talked to a german RCL rep, they got some informations from passengers on JW (out of Limassol, CY) two weeks ago: The lab they are partnering with (ecofins) build up a complete testing facility in an open space on the ship.

BUT: there was no possibility to get an RT-PCR-Test. Only Antigen ?

I hope, this was a misunderstanding.

That seems totally against what the website says! Definitely gonna have to see how this plays out.

On Celebrity Apex sailing out of Pireaus (Athens) Greece, and that I was aboard last week, if your country of return required a molecular test (PCR) you got one. US Citizens returning to the US need proof of vaccination or if unvaccinated, an Antigen test to re-enter the US. Unvaccinated children are required to take an RT-PCR test prior to re-entry for voyages 4 nights or longer.

Travelers from developed countries in the West - the ones that can and are willing to travel -  are going to experience a myriad of different and confusing vaccination and testing requirements to enter other foreign countries or return to the US. Particular venues operating within foreign countries will have varying requirements to enter or receive service as well. Celebrity has done a good job in letting us know what is required. I couldn't find it stated exactly by the CDC or by State but, I don't think there are exceptions for "closed loop sailings" in the Caribbean out of FL for COVID related entry requirements. 

I am getting about one email every three days from Celebrity concerning an upcoming B2B Eastern and Western 7n Equinox sailing from PEV. About 2w ago I received an email - the first of 2 others since then, titled "Important Updates to Testing and Health Screening Requirements." Each one had a new set of entry and testing requirements for the ports to be called on. The most recent announced a requirement of the St. Maartin government for visitors to that country to have an antigen test 2d prior to disembarking from Equinox on the scheduled port call there. Celebrity will provide these. The one before that added the caveat that only Celebrity curated tours were allowed in Coz and Costa Maya. In Tortola, BVI, another port call, in cooperation with the BVI government started a while back, Celebrity only allows their curated tours.

I get it on both sides of this. Celebrity doesn't want the risk of a guest contracting COVID walking around in places with high prevalence rates, re-boarding after an unsupervised trip ashore and be the cause of an outbreak. Involved governments don't want infections being introduced to their countries by cruise ship passengers. What sort-of takes the hassle out of this is that most lines tell you what documents and testing you need and provide it free of charge. We were tested 2X while sailing Apex recently (on boarding and in preparation for debarkation) and it was painless.

I find it amazing that the lines are working their way through this mess and keeping up with the variations. It really  is hard for travelers to keep up and then jump through all the hoops to get to where you're going and back. I wonder if there will be a point where the lines or customers say enough, we can't keep doing this. I'm not even close yet. The cruise experience on Apex in the Greek Isles was worth every ridiculous air travel delay and every entry and exit requirement.  Alll I can say if you want to cruise bad enough, be prepared mentally for the inconveniences you might experience.  

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Is Celebrity allowing B2B now ?  I thought they had disallowed B2B's.

Welp, I booked it. Seriously though I think the CDC restriction to 7d or less went by the wayside but I couldn't find that in writing ..... like most stuff you try to find at the CDC's web site! ? 

Nevertheless, as Cyprus is (still) high incidence region for german travellers, we are obliged for non-vaccinated travellers (children) to have a PCR-Test.

Maybe the rep referred to the former guests as Cyprus was a low incidence region weeks before, so ecofins only provided the antigen testing.

btw, ecofins is the lab with most wrong-positive quotas here ?

• 4 weeks later...

Fully vaccinated Canadian cruising in late November 2021.  Heard rumours that PCR test might be available onboard for re-entry into Canada.  That would be great.  I can imagine that if there are cases on board during my cruise, the lab will be too busy to process my re-entry PCR test.  After all, resources are limited on a ship.  I've found that FastTestNow at several Florida airports can process a RT-PCR test (acceptable for re-entry into Canada) within 30 minutes, if needed, but the cost is high.  Other turn-around times for that test are next day by 11 pm, same day by 11 pm, same day within 3 hours.  That's comforting to know.  Booked 2 cruises last year: Harmony on Nov. 28 and later added Inde on Nov. 22.  I'm pretty sure Inde will happen.  Not so sure about Harmony because it'll be repositioning back from Europe, test cruise, approval, etc.  All that takes time.  I hope so.  I'll already be in Florida.  But I'm not convinced it's going to happen.  If I need to change my flight and head home early, then at least I can get a quick covid test at the airport before I leave.  I just have to throw a lot of $ at it.  

• 2 months later...

I just took a cruise a couple of weeks ago (Oct 2021) from Los Angeles , I am also Canadian. The quick PCR test that my cruise line gave me outside of the ship upon disembarking  ( in a tented area) was sufficient to reenter Canada . It took about a 30-45 mins to complete and have results in hand. It was free.