Rebooked into an "upgrade" we don't like

OK so I'm on the 8/15 sailing out of Galveston, which was initially on Liberty, and now switched to Indy. FINALLY got our cabin assignments on Indy today. We had two cabins, and one change I'm 100% fine with (same category, just a couple doors down from the original one), but the other one... not really. It's the one my teen daughter is booked in (and will share with her friend). They were in 8275 - which is a promenade view room halfway between midship and the forward elevators. Got moved into 9415 which is an Ocean View at the very forward port corner of the ship. With the bridge overhanging it. She's not at all happy with this, and I don't blame her. The room is kinda weird shaped, and has far less counter/desk space compared to the interior promenade view (not to mention the nifty little sitting area in the window of the promenade view rooms which has no equivalent in this new room).

I have asked my TA if they can be switched back to the interior PV room. What are the odds of that happening? I mean, I get that it's an upgrade in category, but it's as far from the kids activities as possible (they will have to walk the entire length of the ship each time), and it's not the view they wanted, so it's not really an "improvement" to them.

We were on Liberty in September and were also switched to Independence.  Our room was also switched to a less ideal room for our family of 6.  We eventually sent a message to Michael Bailey on Facebook, and he responded by having someone contact us.  They were able to get us into rooms that worked better for us.  I would keep trying to go higher up if you can't get help getting the room switched.  Hopefully they can make it happen for you easily without having to go higher up in the command chain.  Good luck!

We too were bummed out by the itinerary change, as we went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan last time and were looking forward to going to the other places.  However, at this point I just want to get on a ship ? 

2 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Oh and the itinerary changed. Was Cozumel - Grand Cayman - Jamaica. Now Cozumel - Costa Maya - Roatan. I was really looking forward to 7 Mile in Grand Cayman ?

Barjpoe's right -Grand Cayman published they're closed until after Feb '22.   Maybe ready for spring Caribbean season - hopeful

21 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Barjpoe's right -Grand Cayman published they're closed until after Feb '22.   Maybe ready for spring Caribbean season - hopeful

As of now, my November 20, 2021 cruise on Odyssey still shows it’s going to Grand Cayman ….. I haven’t received anything from RCL saying otherwise either.

17D1F0EA-1780-42BE-83D2-7323AF7A34F4.jpeg

57 minutes ago, redraider629 said:

We were on Liberty in September and were also switched to Independence.  Our room was also switched to a less ideal room for our family of 6.  We eventually sent a message to Michael Bailey on Facebook, and he responded by having someone contact us.  They were able to get us into rooms that worked better for us.  I would keep trying to go higher up if you can't get help getting the room switched.  Hopefully they can make it happen for you easily without having to go higher up in the command chain.  Good luck!

We too were bummed out by the itinerary change, as we went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan last time and were looking forward to going to the other places.  However, at this point I just want to get on a ship ? 

Good to know! I called RC and they can't do anything about it (plus the 8/15 saling doesn't even come up for them) since I went through a TA so I'll just have to wait and see what the TA can suggest. Did you book directly with RC?

14 hours ago, HtownHolly said:

Good to know! I called RC and they can't do anything about it (plus the 8/15 saling doesn't even come up for them) since I went through a TA so I'll just have to wait and see what the TA can suggest. Did you book directly with RC?

We originally booked our sailing on our last cruise at Nextcruise, but they moved it to our travel agent after it was booked.  So I guess it technically was booked directly with RC, but we have been using a travel agent for this cruise.

If you mean 9514 (there does not seem to be a 9415) by the deck plans...been in one of those. If you think the layout is weird...wait until you see the ceiling...angled. About 25% of the floor space is unusable due to the angle of the ceiling...unless you are only 36 inches tall.

Having been in one (won't do it again), my recommendation would be to punt it if you can.

When we were moved to different ship and received our room assignments (had 12 of them in 2 different categories)...I immediately called Royal groups dept (I had booked through them since we had so many people/rooms).  The agent rebooked all our rooms while I was on the phone and looking at a deck plan online and choosing my own.  As noted I did not use a TA for anything (I just love doing all the legwork myself).  I have friends who used a TA and they cannot do anything for themselves...have to call TA even to get a lower price via sale!  Sometimes being your own TA is good...sometimes it's not.  But in the case of needing to move a room (or several!!) it seemed much easier doing it myself through Royal.

Just my own opinion...no disrespect to any TA's reading this blog or otherwise!  Your hard work is definitely recognized!

On 6/22/2021 at 9:36 AM, Gears said:

If you mean 9514 (there does not seem to be a 9415) by the deck plans...been in one of those. If you think the layout is weird...wait until you see the ceiling...angled. About 25% of the floor space is unusable due to the angle of the ceiling...unless you are only 36 inches tall.

Having been in one (won't do it again), my recommendation would be to punt it if you can.

Yup, that's the one I meant. And I saw pix of the sloped ceiling. No thanks!