It's been a minute - Diamond VOOM?

KLA

Hi all!! It's been a while ?

Finally cruise planning again and trying to remember the rule about VOOM and Diamond coupons - for a 5 night cruise for 2 devices, is it cheaper to buy via cruise planner beforehand or onboard?

Hope everyone has been well! 

14 hours ago, KLA said:

Hi all!! It's been a while ?

Finally cruise planning again and trying to remember the rule about VOOM and Diamond coupons - for a 5 night cruise for 2 devices, is it cheaper to buy via cruise planner beforehand or onboard?

Hope everyone has been well! 

The answer is... it depends on the price in the cruise planner and on whether or not you can hold off until day two on board to purchase by making use of shoreside connectivity on day one. @twangster posted some brilliant price comparison charts for this that show you exactly where the sweet point is for one device (it likely wouldn't be much different for two devices). Maybe he can chip in with the link? Alternatively, I saved them so could probably upload them as PDF files, although I don't have access to them right now.

It depends on cruise length.

The crazy Voom pricing this year that some cruises seem to "enjoy" in the cruise planner is also a factor so YMMV.

With a cruise planner price of $18.99 for a diamond you are better to buy it on board for anything less than 8 nights.

With a cruise planner price of $14.99 for a diamond you are better to buy it on board for anything less than 4 nights.

With a cruise planner price of $11.99 for a diamond you are better to buy it in the cruise planner.

The age old trick of waiting to buy Voom until the morning of day two on board still works, assuming you don't need Voom on day one since the ship is in port most of day one.  With so much going on and the ship departing at 4pm or later do you really need Voom on day one?  This approach changes the statements above by a few days in each scenario. 

I have noticed the pricing is crazy for my Harmony cruise at the end of September. It has never gone below $15.99 per day for a 7-night cruise in the whole year I've been tracking it. We have two free diamond days so I think we'll be holding off until day two, then using those and only thereafter purchasing on board. ?