Main Dining Room Questions

Hi everyone! Does anyone know the max table sizes in the main dining room? I'm sailing on Harmony of the Seas in 2023 (I know...a long way out and too early too be worried about things like seating in the dining room lol) but right now our party is at 21 people, and we are trying to figure out how many of us can sit together, and if we add more people, how many people could potentially sit at one table? This will be my fifth cruise with Royal so I feel like I should know this one but I just can't remember the biggest tables I've seen. 

Thanks! 

Heather 

I think I once saw a round table capable of seating maybe 15? I didn't get to see actual people at it and I also realize now it may have been the Chef's table...(it was very fancily decorated)

Another time, on Liberty, I did see several square tables pushed together for about 10- 12 people. Seemed cramped and like a pain for the wait staff though...just my outsider's opinion.

Welcome to the forums.

I've personally been at a table with about (going off memory) 12 and I'm sure they would have figured out how to get a few more. I'd speak to the main dining room when you board to see what they can organize for you.

With 21 people, guessing about 10 cabins (give or take a cabin) have you considered a group rate? I believe the minimum is 8 cabins and you'll get some perks, nothing life changing, but a "freebie" nonetheless. When I did a group rate it paid for my (and wife's) drink package with enough left over to spread a little OBC to everyone. (I considered spreading it all but many said to keep it, plus not using a travel agent (BIG MISTAKE) I earned the drink package ?).

9 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I think I once saw a round table capable of seating maybe 15? I didn't get to see actual people at it and I also realize now it may have been the Chef's table...(it was very fancily decorated)

I think what you might have seen would have been called the Captain's table. I saw once on formal night he was there with guest (Pinnacles or back before they had that status, most nights sailed) along with some other staff.  I think the the highest I've seen and have sat at is 10 , but they might have upto 12.

8 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

I think what you might have seen would have been called the Captain's table. I saw once on formal night he was there with guest (Pinnacles or back before they had that status, most nights sailed) along with some other staff.  I think the the highest I've seen and have sat at is 10 , but they might have upto 12.

That would make sense! It was many a year ago and I also just have the WORST memory. Lol.

1 hour ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Welcome to the forums.

I've personally been at a table with about (going off memory) 12 and I'm sure they would have figured out how to get a few more. I'd speak to the main dining room when you board to see what they can organize for you.

With 21 people, guessing about 10 cabins (give or take a cabin) have you considered a group rate? I believe the minimum is 8 cabins and you'll get some perks, nothing life changing, but a "freebie" nonetheless. When I did a group rate it paid for my (and wife's) drink package with enough left over to spread a little OBC to everyone. (I considered spreading it all but many said to keep it, plus not using a travel agent (BIG MISTAKE) I earned the drink package ?).

Thanks! We are booking with a travel agent so definitely got some discounts in that way! Having previously cruised with and without the use of agents, we've discovered that we love our travel agent and will never go back to not using her! 

We sailed with a group of 19 family members. We were seated at 2 tables - a table of 10 and a table of 9 - right next to each other. Each table technically had different wait staff (which was amazing!) but we were encouraged to sit at either table each night so we had a chance to visit with everyone throughout the cruise.

I’ve personally been seated at a family group of 11 - could easily have seated 14. Any more than that I wouldn’t see why it’s feasible or even necessary. If you have a table of 20, 2 thing will happen:

- one end can’t talk to the other end anyway

- because of above, everyone will change seats each night anyway

Because of that I can’t feasibly see why one table would be preferable over 2 tables next to each other. Easier for the waiters, probably easier to actually position in the dining room, and if more than ~28 sign up then get a third table and continue with the above. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did a large group on Rhapsody once.  Instead of jamming us all into one table (28 of us), they gave us three tables in a corner of the dining room.  This allowed us to get up and move about our tables to talk without bothering anyone else.  We switched up who sat where each night and the servers never missed a beat.  It felt like we had our own private dining room, and we really got to enjoy each other more than if we'd been stretched down one long table.  

The one tip I have for this is agree within your group how long you will wait for folks to appear before you order.  Staff will generally wait until everyone arrives unless told otherwise.  Not a problem if your group is full of prompt people, but if you have regular stragglers you might want to say "we only wait x minutes past seating time"

• 3 weeks later...

When you choose your table size during the booking process (or your agent does) there are tables from2-10 people.   My last cruise we had 16 people so we got a table for 10 next to a table of 6 and all just rotated who sat at the smaller table so we had a chance to sit with each other during the cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 6:57 AM, heathbar0621 said:

Hi everyone! Does anyone know the max table sizes in the main dining room? I'm sailing on Harmony of the Seas in 2023 (I know...a long way out and too early too be worried about things like seating in the dining room lol) but right now our party is at 21 people, and we are trying to figure out how many of us can sit together, and if we add more people, how many people could potentially sit at one table? This will be my fifth cruise with Royal so I feel like I should know this one but I just can't remember the biggest tables I've seen. 

Thanks! 

Heather 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, Donna G said:

When you choose your table size during the booking process (or your agent does) there are tables from2-10 people.   My last cruise we had 16 people so we got a table for 10 next to a table of 6 and all just rotated who sat at the smaller table so we had a chance to sit with each other during the cruise. 

We had 12 once in our group. and table sizes only went up to 10 guests.  We got  2 tables of 6, next to each other.  Worked out very well.  And we would rotate so everyone had a chance to visit with different people.  I do not know now with Covid, if they will reduce table sizes at all.   But Covid hopefully will not be an issue in 2023, but you never know.    You will have a great cruise!