Lobster Night

wordell1

1 hour ago, teddy said:

It's funny.....we can get them anytime we want, but both my wife and I can take them or leave them.  They're kind of a pita to eat, and it takes at least two to make a meal.

We've never felt like eating them on lobster night even though, as I understand, it's just the tails (I think).

The exact reason my husband won’t eat lobster, too much work!  I love lobster so I don’t mind at all.  We were in Maine in May and a couple  at the next table ordered lobster.  The waitress delivers it and …..

they had no clue what to do with it. Poor waitress had to take it all apart for them ?.  If you can’t follow the darn directions on the placemat, don’t order it.  

41 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

Our last cruise our waitress was cutting the meat out of the tails for us when she delivered them.  I was like....I can do it.  LOL is that normal for them to do that?

Depends on the waiter/waitress but it does seem it is either all the staff does it or none. So I'm sure if a ship does it or not comes down the maître d.

Always an awkward pause before digging in wondering if someone is going to zip by and cut the meat out.

• 2 weeks later...

Lobster night, if there is one, is one night per cruise.  For most cruises it's the 2nd formal night if there are two formal nights.  

I guess they don't want to have lobster on the 1st formal night menu and set an expectation there will be lobster on the other formal night menu.  

5 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

While watching the blog for the July 2nd Freedom cruise from Miami (3 nighter) lobster was served on the 3rd night.  Looked delicious.  Hoping there will be a lobster night on my 4 night Oasis cruise!  ?

I'm betting there's a huge stockpile of lobster in the supply chain.  We might see it on cruises we otherwise would not in the near term.   

1 hour ago, Falling_Down said:

If you're sailing out of Port Canaveral (or just missing lobster night from all the cancelled cruises like I do) there's an AYCE lobster place about 50 minutes away in Orlando. It's like pre-gaming (or post-gaming if your stomach can handle it) for the real deal on the boat ?

And what's the name of this magical place ?

My grandmother used to take my sister and I to a place called Happy Land on Siesta Key in Sarasota for lobster night.  It was an AYCE which was rare then   This was in the late 50s or early 60s.  They had this huge revolving salad bar which was unusual then also.  The first time I grabbed my salad plate to go to the salad bar my grandmother took the plate from me,  tapped me on the back of the head and said  "You are here to eat lobster"

• 4 weeks later...

So far, I can't figure out what night on my upcoming cruise will be lobster night via the app (any day after day 2 shows all the dining rooms closed).

Would the MDR tell me on boarding day? Since my mom and I don't partake (allergic and just don't like shellfish) I want to make a reservation for specialty dining that day instead and rumor has it doing that early is best.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 12:06 PM, Pooch said:

Thanks ConstantCruiser &  WAAAYTOO, I’ve had the lobster tails and they are decent.  Looks like it would make sense to just eat in the MDR that night.

Follow up question, can we request a CK entree be sent to the MDR?

I have a question. When I look at menus for MDR, they have lobster as an up charge. Are you saying there is a night that the lobster is free?

8 minutes ago, Jennifer Burke said:

I have a question. When I look at menus for MDR, they have lobster as an up charge. Are you saying there is a night that the lobster is free?

yup! It's usually toward the end of the cruise (second formal night on 7+ nighters and I think night 4 or 4 or ones less than 7). At this point, lobster tails are part of the main, complimentary menu and they are as unlimited as everything else in that section. And yes, the staff is well aware that people go CRAZY with it. I've never heard of them running out or limiting people.

2 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

yup! It's usually toward the end of the cruise (second formal night on 7+ nighters and I think night 4 or 4 or ones less than 7). At this point, lobster tails are part of the main, complimentary menu and they are as unlimited as everything else in that section. And yes, the staff is well aware that people go CRAZY with it. I've never heard of them running out or limiting people.

wow how exciting! Thanks for the info

9 hours ago, Jennifer Burke said:

wow how exciting! Thanks for the info

Be aware that the free lobsters are warm water lobsters, tails only.  The upcharge lobster would be a cold water full lobster.  I enjoy the free ones and usually order a surf and turf with a steak and 2 tails.