Lobster Night

wordell1

9 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

My waiter on the Harmony in 2017 must have realized that I was going to order A LOT of lobsters, so he probably told the kitchen to stop the fancy plating by Lobster #4...

IMG_4805.thumb.JPG.3566a35d679075b671086bfec547609c.JPG

... and just brought me a plate of lobster tails.

1102173071_IMG_48073.thumb.JPG.764da428652fa93b1086fb37811766d3.JPG

Laughed as I read it, because my very first cruise on Freedom in 2018 had our waiter come to the table the night before lobster night, purely to ask each of us how many lobster tails we expected to eat. I told him four, and just like your picture above I was given a full plate and a plate of just tails.

And then 20 minutes later, when he saw both of my plates were empty, he brought another three tails and set them in front of me. Not in the middle of the table for sharing. In front of ME.

Of course I ate them. It would be rude not to. But in the back of my head, I was seeing that scene from Bill & Ted where the server is standing behind Napoleon and chanting, "Who's a piggy? Who's a piggy?!?" ?

49 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Can I ask about the butter poached lobster in CK?  Trying to decide between MDR & CK on lobster night.  Is one better than the other?  Can you ask for more in CK?

CK will have a lobster entree on the lobster night menu but more often than not it's some kind of lobster pieces in something kind of an entree.  You can ask for a conventional tail on lobster night in CK or so I've read.  To be honest the Caribbean lobster used on lobster night has never wowed me.  It isn't a New England or Maritime lobster.  I don't enjoy the complimentary Caribbean lobster so I don't order it in CK or in the MDR.  

Everyone's food tastes are different, no offense intended for those that love lobster night.  

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Can I ask about the butter poached lobster in CK?  Trying to decide between MDR & CK on lobster night.  Is one better than the other?  Can you ask for more in CK?

So glad you mentioned this.  @ConstantCruiseris right !  The lobster meal at CK is NOT a lobster tail (I think they call it Lobster in Champagne sauce or something like that).  It is some rubbery lobster pieces in a nasty orange sauce.  It's not good at all, IMO.  SO if you want the MDR lobster tails served to you in the CK, be sure and ask for the MDR lobster tails.  If you just say, "I'll have the lobster", they are going to bring you the orange pieces and parts.  Yuk.  If you plan on eating in the CK on lobster night and decide that you want to have it, it is best to let them know ahead of time that you are going to want the MDR lobster tails so that they can have them handy.  They generally will have some lobster tails available, but they will be sure and have enough of them if you tell them in advance.

It is also true that the lobster tails served in the MDR are warm water lobsters and not NE cold water lobsters.  If you're looking for NE lobster, you will not find it in the MDR.

Following the conversation on asking for MDR Lobster Tail in CK and just curios as our only GS's have been on Freedom Class ships so no CK, and on our JS on Oasis we could not even get in for dinner most nights.  That sailing the Hostess told us we could only make dinner reservations for the current day and after the first 4 days of trying with only once having availability and that being a 8:30 or 9, can't remember now exactly, I just gave up going to see her every morning first thing.

So I guess my actual question is the ambiance that much better in CK than to just go to the MDR for Lobster.

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Thanks ConstantCruiser &  WAAAYTOO, I’ve had the lobster tails and they are decent.  Looks like it would make sense to just eat in the MDR that night.

Follow up question, can we request a CK entree be sent to the MDR?

Nope.  You can do it the other way around though.  

32 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

So I guess my actual question is the ambiance that much better in CK than to just go to the MDR for Lobster.

That's a good question and is certainly depends on individual perceptions.  For us it is really a matter of ambiance.  You just can't beat the views in the Oasis class CK.  In general, it is less hectic and certainly less crowded.  Is the service or food actually any better than the MDR ?  Many say "yes".  We generally say "not really".  We enjoy going to the CK if we are staying on Deck 17 but since we almost always have the UDP we generally only go to the CK for breakfast.  It's nice to have the option to go to CK when the menu is agreeable.

I have MTD reservations for every night for the 6 of us (2 in a JS only). I would like to reserve CK for all of us for night 1.  If the concierge can’t do that, I’ll get it for 4 and then try to add the other 2 on board.  One night I am treating my son brother & nephew to Izumi so will probably do CK that night for hubby daughter & me.  The rest will be a crap shoot.

7 hours ago, Pooch said:

I have MTD reservations for every night for the 6 of us (2 in a JS only). I would like to reserve CK for all of us for night 1.  If the concierge can’t do that, I’ll get it for 4 and then try to add the other 2 on board.  One night I am treating my son brother & nephew to Izumi so will probably do CK that night for hubby daughter & me.  The rest will be a crap shoot.

Not sure the Suite concierge will be able to make any reservations for you since your only in a JS and do not have suite perks like the concierge.  but I will defer to those that may know more than me

12 minutes ago, Pooch said:

My brother & nephew are in a JS. We are in an Owners Suite so, yes, I do have access to the concierge.

then you should have no problem, I could see the concierge making those arrangement for you as long as your a little flexible.

/enjoy -  I will say I'm al little jealous that you having  access to cold water lobster on the regular, but not enough to move there.

Again enjoy your cruise, that we have in common

On 6/18/2021 at 7:12 AM, JLMoran said:

Laughed as I read it, because my very first cruise on Freedom in 2018 had our waiter come to the table the night before lobster night, purely to ask each of us how many lobster tails we expected to eat. I told him four, and just like your picture above I was given a full plate and a plate of just tails.

And then 20 minutes later, when he saw both of my plates were empty, he brought another three tails and set them in front of me. Not in the middle of the table for sharing. In front of ME.

Of course I ate them. It would be rude not to. But in the back of my head, I was seeing that scene from Bill & Ted where the server is standing behind Napoleon and chanting, "Who's a piggy? Who's a piggy?!?" ?

Sailing on Freedom in November they better be stocked up on lobster lol

22 hours ago, Scoular said:

I’ve heard that there isn’t a lobster night in European cruises. Is that true? I have a 9 night anthem cruise to Norway, Denmark, Netherlands and France in September. Will there be a lobster tail night?

Lobster tails are only available on Caribbean cruises.  Sorry - no lobster night on European cruises.

It seems like one of my European cruises had a lobster night.  I remember because lobster night didnt seem like there were that many people eating that night.  I asked our waiter and he said Europeans don't eat lobster like we do.  So he said I could have all I wanted.  I think they had to wheel me out of the dining room that night.

32 minutes ago, MikeK said:

It seems like one of my European cruises had a lobster night.  I remember because lobster night didnt seem like there were that many people eating that night.  I asked our waiter and he said Europeans don't eat lobster like we do.  So he said I could have all I wanted.  I think they had to wheel me out of the dining room that night.

I really hope they have it in September!?I'd be with you getting wheeled out!

It's funny.....we can get them anytime we want, but both my wife and I can take them or leave them.  They're kind of a pita to eat, and it takes at least two to make a meal.

We've never felt like eating them on lobster night even though, as I understand, it's just the tails (I think).

1 hour ago, teddy said:

It's funny.....we can get them anytime we want, but both my wife and I can take them or leave them.  They're kind of a pita to eat, and it takes at least two to make a meal.

We've never felt like eating them on lobster night even though, as I understand, it's just the tails (I think).

Our last cruise our waitress was cutting the meat out of the tails for us when she delivered them.  I was like....I can do it.  LOL is that normal for them to do that?