New guidelines out for July sailings out of FL

We are a double medical field household with an almost 6 year old girl. We have been doubly vaccinated for months. Im not gonna lie, reading the protocols does not make me happy. Almost sounds like we may not be allowed in certain restaurants because we have our daughter with us. And im yet to understand why the mask protocol is different in Florida ships vs Bahamas... ugh. Fingers crossed so much happens for the better before dec...

23 minutes ago, Marlena said:

We are a double medical field household with an almost 6 year old girl. We have been doubly vaccinated for months. Im not gonna lie, reading the protocols does not make me happy. Almost sounds like we may not be allowed in certain restaurants because we have our daughter with us. And im yet to understand why the mask protocol is different in Florida ships vs Bahamas... ugh. Fingers crossed so much happens for the better before dec...

‘I didn’t think about what happens if vaccinated adults have children with them that aren’t (and won’t ever be) vaccinated.  We have a 9 year old.

26 minutes ago, Marlena said:

10 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

‘I didn’t think about what happens if vaccinated adults have children with them that aren’t (and won’t ever be) vaccinated.  We have a 9 year old.

It didn't look like dining venues would be closed to unvaccinated individuals but I could be being optimistic in my interpretation.   The real question would be if children unable to be vaccinated will be permitted in the "vaccinated only" seating with fully vaccinated parents or will the party need to sit in the "unvaccinated section"?

28 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't imagine they would expect vaccinated adults with vaccine-ineligible children to be forced to eat in the non-vaxxed dining room.

Curious on your take here.  If the whole reason is for health reasons then why wouldn't they?  If this is there way of forcing everyone who is eligible to get vaccinated or stay home, then I agree, but why is my 12 year old unvaccinated child any more of a risk than someone else's ineligible 11 year old unvaccinated child?  I am not saying they should or shouldn't, but if you create a vaccinated only, well....

The whole reason is to try to discourage unvaccinated adults from cruising.  

Also I found this interesting

"In the coming days, we are expecting updated guidance from the CDC on mask policies for vaccinated guests and will update you at that time."

To me that says by the time these cruises start, vaccinated people won't have to wear masks anywhere on the ship.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't imagine they would expect vaccinated adults with vaccine-ineligible children to be forced to eat in the non-vaxxed dining room.

Seriously hoping so, because then you are also creating adults only dining vs kid friendly dining. I feel if they do that there may be extreme push back if they take it away as I'm sure some will want more adult only spaces

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

That’s exactly what I’d expect. Ineligible children are, by definition, unvaccinated. They shouldn’t be allowed to eat in the fully vaccinated area. Otherwise it isn’t a vaccinated area and the distinction set out in the guidelines makes no sense. 

24 minutes ago, ConstantCruiser said:

This from Michael Bayley's FB post on the new protocols:

IMG_0194.thumb.jpg.4b2a49c19435cfade4642cdc74e942ef.jpg

It sounds like there will be exceptions.  That should help families with younger kids too.  

Time will tell.  

The exception will be (and should be) that they can sit together in the unvaccinated area. 

12 hours ago, ConstantCruiser said:

This from Michael Bayley's FB post on the new protocols:

IMG_0194.thumb.jpg.4b2a49c19435cfade4642cdc74e942ef.jpg

It sounds like there will be exceptions.  That should help families with younger kids too.  

Time will tell.  

“They‘’ll accommodate you” …… he’s saying without saying it, that to hang out with your friends, you’ll be “accommodated” by them having to sit in the unvaccinated dining sections with you and they will have to go to the unvaccinated venues with you.  If he meant anything other than that, he would have given a more clear answer than his non-answer of “we’ll accommodate you”.  

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

If they do force families with kids to be restricted because of the kids ….. I can’t see why any family with children would want to waste their money going on the cruise if the adults are vaccinated, but then are basically locked out of all vaccinated areas because of their children.  Especially since it sounds like all the good things to do will only be for the vaccinated.

My husband and I are vaccinated, but our ten year old son is not. I don’t feel like we should be put more at risk by being seated with those who have chosen to be unvaccinated. If our son is only socializIng with his vaccinated parents, he is not a risk to others. There is a difference between unvaccinated by choice and unvaccinated due to age. I have chosen to be vaccinated; I would rather not be forced to be with those who have chosen to put others at risk. 

So the unvaccinated have to get a PCR test a minimum 3 days before the cruise, and then another PCR test at the terminal too, and the an antigen test before disembarking? I think Royal is trying to make unvaccinated people not go on the cruise ?  that and all the masks requirement + not being able to go to certain events etc.

Meanwhile...vaccinated guests --> Vaccinated guests do not have any testing requirements.

Thumbs up from me (except wearing masks indoors if you're vaccinated part). I still think anyone who is eligible should be vaccinated before boarding a ship, but that's just my opinion. You want a safe restart to cruising. This is the way to do it. 

45 minutes ago, Cruising With JT said:

So the unvaccinated have to get a PCR test a minimum 3 days before the cruise, and then another PCR test at the terminal too, and the an antigen test before disembarking? I think Royal is trying to make unvaccinated people not go on the cruise ?  that and all the masks requirement + not being able to go to certain events etc.

Meanwhile...vaccinated guests --> Vaccinated guests do not have any testing requirements.

Thumbs up from me (except wearing masks indoors if you're vaccinated part). I still think anyone who is eligible should be vaccinated before boarding a ship, but that's just my opinion. You want a safe restart to cruising. This is the way to do it. 

I believe Royal is attempting to mitigate their legal risks by "encouraging" vaccine eligible guests to get their shots prior to sailing.  Being a profit-seeking business in an industry with a target on their backs if a COVID case outbreak were to occur on any sailings in the near term, I can't blame them for making things more challenging for unvaxxed guests. They've suffered through almost 18 months of financial hell at this point and really have to do everything in their power to keep their ships sailing safely just to survive.

Is amazing to me to see the same people so anxious to get cruising back up and running now wanting to deny boarding to families with children. Not to mention the current vaccine concern for those 12-16. As an aside, the ever incompetent CDC pushed back “emergency hearing” on this issue until next week. CDC is a joke. They paused the J&J vaccine for less than this. 

from a business perspective, Royal doesn’t want to turn away families and there is no guarantee that they ever could have met the 95% vaccinated passengers in the Caribbean this summer.

There won’t be 100% vaccinated sailings this summer in Caribbean. The adventure didn’t have 95% vaccinated rate among passengers. 

what would you have Royal do? Ban all children this summer? Refund more people? There is zero way from stopping Covid on cruise ships. ZERO. and if you are vaccinated believe in science! Trust the vaccine. It will be ok if you sit with unvaccinated people! I would sit with them and I am vaccinated! I just flew on a plane with 200 of my closest friends for a 3 hour flight. Stop the fear. 

Not trying to start a vax / anti-vax debate.... but in all my reading I still have not found a coherent response to the question: If you are vaccinated, why do you feel 'at risk' around un-vaccinated? 

I completely understand the argument that an un-vaxxed person can spread it to another un-vaxxed person, etc... but given the guidance RCL just issued about segregating the groups for certain events and dining, that just seems a little bit overboard. (look... I made a pun!) ? 

6 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Is amazing to me to see the same people so anxious to get cruising back up and running now wanting to deny boarding to families with children. Not to mention the current vaccine concern for those 12-16. As an aside, the ever incompetent CDC pushed back “emergency hearing” on this issue until next week. CDC is a joke. They paused the J&J vaccine for less than this. 

from a business perspective, Royal doesn’t want to turn away families and there is no guarantee that they ever could have met the 95% vaccinated passengers in the Caribbean this summer.

There won’t be 100% vaccinated sailings this summer in Caribbean. The adventure didn’t have 95% vaccinated rate among passengers. 

what would you have Royal do? Ban all children this summer? Refund more people? There is zero way from stopping Covid on cruise ships. ZERO. and if you are vaccinated believe in science! Trust the vaccine. It will be ok if you sit with unvaccinated people! I would sit with them and I am vaccinated! I just flew on a plane with 200 of my closest friends for a 3 hour flight. Stop the fear. 

These new protocols really are to discourage those who are not vaccinated to not sail for now. You’ll get the die hards but your average cruiser probably will wait. 

Also.....From a business standpoint: Royal has an opportunity here to snag those Disney cruisers. Disney is shutdown. There’s no way they can start anytime soon. The unvaccinated kids would outnumber vaccinated adults. This is Royal’s chance to wow them over. 

These protocols are cumbersome for the unvaccinated and that is the point. 

12 minutes ago, vanelli56 said:

Not trying to start a vax / anti-vax debate.... but in all my reading I still have not found a coherent response to the question: If you are vaccinated, why do you feel 'at risk' around un-vaccinated? 

I completely understand the argument that an un-vaxxed person can spread it to another un-vaxxed person, etc... but given the guidance RCL just issued about segregating the groups for certain events and dining, that just seems a little bit overboard. (look... I made a pun!) ? 

Well that question is a sure way to get this thread locked.  ? 

I'll give my simple perspective... vaccines aren't as protective against the new variants/strains of COVID and the biggest threat is the Delta strain which is the cause of surges in the UK and is taking a foothold in the US.  So even vaccinated people are still "at risk" of catching COVID, abet a milder form and hopefully not bad enough to allow that person to spread the disease (research is still out on that).  On a cruise however you feel more "at risk" because if you catch COVID, you may have to cut the cruise short due to the protocols and I know I don't want that for me having waited so long to get a boat.

19 minutes ago, Jill said:

These new protocols really are to discourage those who are not vaccinated to not sail for now. You’ll get the die hards but your average cruiser probably will wait. 

Also.....From a business standpoint: Royal has an opportunity here to snag those Disney cruisers. Disney is shutdown. There’s no way they can start anytime soon. The unvaccinated kids would outnumber vaccinated adults. This is Royal’s chance to wow them over. 

These protocols are cumbersome for the unvaccinated and that is the point. 

Doubtful ….. why would vaccinated parents want to book and pay for a cruise where the ENTIRE family will be segregated to a LESSER cruise experience because their kids aren’t vaccinated???  I seriously doubt anybody who wanted to take their kids on a FUN Disney cruise will sign up for a SEGRATED “family” cruise on RCL, they might as well just take their kids to Disney Word or on a beach vacation where they can actually have a good time for their money.

54 minutes ago, Jverge said:

Well that question is a sure way to get this thread locked.  ? 

I'll give my simple perspective... vaccines aren't as protective against the new variants/strains of COVID and the biggest threat is the Delta strain which is the cause of surges in the UK and is taking a foothold in the US.  So even vaccinated people are still "at risk" of catching COVID, abet a milder form and hopefully not bad enough to allow that person to spread the disease (research is still out on that).  On a cruise however you feel more "at risk" because if you catch COVID, you may have to cut the cruise short due to the protocols and I know I don't want that for me having waited so long to get a boat.

The problem in the UK isn’t that the vaccine isn’t working against the Delta Variant, the problem is that the majority of the UK is only HALF vaccinated.  Their prime minister chose to spread their doses 4 months apart to get more people partially vaccinated faster rather than concentrating on getting people fully vaccinated ….. and it’s now blown up in his face.  You can’t compare the UK to the US because of that, it’s not apples to apples ….. it’s more like comparing apples to avocados.

1 hour ago, vanelli56 said:

For me its more so an issue for my daughter who is too young for the vaccine. I would prefer her around her vaccinated family and not always stuck in a group of all the unvaccinated people on the cruise. 

In our case we won't be sending her to AO ( usually do) and she will be travelling with 4 vaccinated adults. Feel like she should be considered in our vaccinated bubble. But thats just the perspective from a person with a young child. I know adults who travel without kids would have a different opinion. 

I also won't be happy if some locations,  restaurants specifically are off limits for us because of it. If my trip in forced to a small area of the MDR for the unvaxxed group we will most likely not be sailing.

12 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The whole reason is to try to discourage unvaccinated adults from cruising.  

Also I found this interesting

"In the coming days, we are expecting updated guidance from the CDC on mask policies for vaccinated guests and will update you at that time."

To me that says by the time these cruises start, vaccinated people won't have to wear masks anywhere on the ship.

I am certainly hoping that by the time of my cruise, August, all vaccinated people will be able to go without a mask all over the ship.

10 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

The quickest way to kick start an outbreak on board would probably be by putting all of the unvaccinated people together. Really is beyond comprehension.

EXACTLY ….. The whole science of herd immunity is based on having a MIXED population where at least 70 to 80% are immune to the virus either by vaccination or prior infection.  It’s boggles my mind that so many vaccinated people don’t trust their vaccine!!!!!

11 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

EXACTLY ….. The whole science of herd immunity is based on having a MIXED population where at least 70 to 80% are immune to the virus either by vaccination or prior infection.  It’s boggles my mind that so many vaccinated people don’t trust their vaccine!!!!!

Because for so long federal and state public health "experts" said to not trust the vaccine even if you got it.

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Because for so long federal and state public health "experts" said to not trust the vaccine even if you got it.

Except they’ve finally admitted that studies have proved them wrong and that they only said that out of an abundance of caution until they had real world evidence to say you should trust the vaccine.

CDC logic at its finest.  

As a vaccinated person I couldn't give a hoot if others are not, so long as what is happening on Odyssey with her crew isn't the response when the unvaccinated become infected - complete shipwide lockdown, everyone to their cabins.  I get why they did that on Odyssey, they need time after getting vaccinated for maximum protection to become effective.  If that will be the response on a revenue cruise I'm not interested.

Back here in the real world (on land) I go out and enjoy life.  When I'm sitting at a restaurant or at a bar it doesn't even cross my mind if the people near me are vaccinated or not.  I couldn't care.  On a ship I would have been the same way, except... now I am forced to wear a mask indoors on a ship just to accommodate the unvaccinated.  Now they've ruined my vacation.  

41 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

It’s boggles my mind that so many vaccinated people don’t trust their vaccine!!!!!

My only "fear" of unvaccinated on a ship with me would be them ruining my cruise.  If I have to wear mask or if they get infected and the cruise stops then it's a problem.  

The protocols are designed to make cruising unattractive to the unvaccinated.  The protocols required because of the unvaccinated are killing the cruise experience.  

Time to cruise from somewhere other than Florida. 

Thanks Gov.

35 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

The quickest way to kick start an outbreak on board would probably be by putting all of the unvaccinated people together. Really is beyond comprehension.

This is so blindingly obvious as to bring RCL's selection of and approach to a hybrid passenger manifest into question. It seems to me that RCL"s objective is to make it so onerous for the un-vaxed to cruise that they won't. That's putting coercive policy above health and safety.

I applaud the rest of the lines for saying you have to be vaccinated to board. Period, final. Clean, plain and simple.  

10 minutes ago, JeffB said:

This is so blindingly obvious as to bring RCL's selection of and approach to a hybrid passenger manifest into question. It seems to me that RCL"s objective is to make it so onerous for the un-vaxed to cruise that they won't. That's putting coercive policy above health and safety.

I applaud the rest of the lines for saying you have to be vaccinated to board. Period, final. Clean, plain and simple.  

‘That’s all well and good ….. I just don’t think vaccinated adults who want to go on cruises with their unvaccinated children should be penalized ….. there’s no reason at all to not treat unvaccinated children in a party with vaccinated adults the same as their parents. …… ie treating the children as if they were vaccinated ….. not forcing the vaccinated parents into segregation.

17 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

‘That’s all well and good ….. I just don’t think vaccinated adults who want to go on cruises with their unvaccinated children should be penalized ….. there’s no reason at all to not treat unvaccinated children in a party with vaccinated adults the same as their parents. …… ie treating the children as if they were vaccinated ….. not forcing the vaccinated parents into segregation.

The NCL approach is zero unvaccinated.   They aren't offering a payment refund either.  Their "refund" is FCC.  Got kids?  NCL says "No cruise for you".

Royal is doing their best to navigate rough seas battered by hurricane Walensky on the west and tropical storm DeSantis on the east.  They are trying to figure a way for families with kids to be accommodated while working within the silly constraints of the CDC and the absurd policies of Florida. 

Royal isn't to blame for this compromise.  Our federal and state governments are.