AOS Bahamas - Disembark on Embarkation day

0_0

I'm looking at my options for exploring Nassau since I'm coming in the morning of the cruise. I love exploring new ships, but I'd hate to waste a whole day in Nassau if it's available.

Hopefully someone who was on this or the next AOS sailing can answer.

My questions:

- Can you disembark after checking-in and entering the ship in Nassau on embarkation day to explore the island?
     If Yes,
     - What time do you need to be back on board?

Regardless,
     - Luggage is, dropped off/taken to the ship, at check-in (British Colonial hotel)?
     - Are you required to immediately board after check-in?

24 minutes ago, 0_0 said:

I'm looking at my options for exploring Nassau since I'm coming in the morning of the cruise. I love exploring new ships, but I'd hate to waste a whole day in Nassau if it's available.

My questions:

- Can you disembark after checking-in and entering the ship in Nassau on embarkation day to explore the island?
     If Yes,

Regardless,
     - Luggage is, dropped off/taken to the ship, at check-in (British Colonial hotel)?

I can't answer the 1st question as we did not try.

I don't see why you couldn't drop off your bags and then check in later. Our bags were taken from the taxi by a RC porter. We then proceeded into the hotel to check in. If we had left in the same cab instead, or walked from the hotel to the downtown area, I don't think anyone would have noticed. Just set you check in appointment for later in the day.

On our last cruise my daughter left something rather important in the hotel room.  She was able to get off, go back and get it and get back on.  

Also when we sailed out of San Juan, with a late departure time, you were able to get off and explore.  In fact we had many B2Bers that got off between sailings.

Of course who knows in these COVIS times. ?

More questions that might come up:

- With how bags are being handled in a non-traditional way, how would someone carry on wine?
- Can we still bring 2 bottles onboard?
- Do we have to handle anything at Bahamas customs by bringing 2 bottles of wine in checked baggage?

16 minutes ago, 0_0 said:

- With how bags are being handled in a non-traditional way, how would someone carry on wine?
- Do we have to handle anything at Bahamas customs by bringing 2 bottles of wine in checked baggage?

Our bags were definitely scanned as usual. My wife's bag had a sticker indicating that they had opened it to check her power strip (which was a multi USB adapter so it was ok).

I never saw anything that said you couldn't bring 2 bottles on as normal.

Bahamas customs didn't require us to open our bags, although they were set up to do do. They did not ask about alcohol at all, only about our plans and how much currency we were carrying.

3 hours ago, 0_0 said:

My questions:

If Yes,

Regardless,

Currently on the 6-12 sailing - no you cannot disembark after you board. And yes, once you complete the check in process, you’re required to go to the ship. 

If you’re flying in the morning of, you should be able to drop your bags with Royal at the airport.

What I would do in this scenario, is select a later check in time, you can drop your bags at the airport, then explore, then you can check in at your designated time.

The only downside is if you have specialty dining. The times were quickly filled as they’re limiting capacity in the restaurants, so if you have the UDP or 3 night DP, get on board early to make those reservations.

2 hours ago, 0_0 said:

I carried on 2 bottles of champagne- no issues from anyone. You will have your carry on X-rayed as you board the ship. 
I was asked nothing by customs, but a friend said she was asked if she had alcohol.. so ymmv

Thank you @Josh C!

I think I have a plan.
1. Pack the wine we want to bring in Jet Bags in our checked baggage for the flight.

2. Open luggage after clearing customs to remove the wine and place it in a small backpack that I can easily carry around the island with all our documents.

3. Send rest of the suitcases to the ship.

4. Explore Nassau until later in the day and check in for dinner on the ship.

I’m wondering about dropping our bags with Royal at the airport. Is it really worth it? We have a taxi set up that will take us straight to check-in where they’ll take the bags immediately from what I’ve heard, so it seems like the advantage is minimal and I fear something going awry. I also wonder if your bags might get to you sooner on the ship from the hotel. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Yet another option... forget transporting it on the plane and just buy it before we board. There appears to be a liquor store a few hundred feet from the pier. Prices for Non-US wine is usually similar so I think I might just pick up a few bottles there before heading to boarding.

2 hours ago, Biff215 said:

I’m wondering about dropping our bags with Royal at the airport. Is it really worth it? We have a taxi set up that will take us straight to check-in where they’ll take the bags immediately from what I’ve heard, so it seems like the advantage is minimal and I fear something going awry. I also wonder if your bags might get to you sooner on the ship from the hotel. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

I doubt it makes a difference either way. The taxi will pull up to the hotel and the porters are right there to take your bag.

At 50% capacity your bags will come quickly.