Dissatisfied by Jamie's Italian

Nate Y

My wife and I dined at Jamie's Italian on Mariner of the Seas in February 2019.  We couldn't believe what a step down it was from the main dining hall.  Details of the meal are fuzzy as its been two years but I remember being served hard olives, glorified lunchmeat, flat wine, and other disappointing, forgettable food. We probably should have complained to someone, it felt like a huge waste of money and we couldn't help wishing we were dining with the friends we made previously from our group back in the excellent main hall.  Has anyone else eaten at a Jamie's and had a strong opinion on it?

I sailed on Mariner in Jan 2019 and thought Jamie's was the worst. I chalked it up to having recently spent 10 days eating my way through Italy in Oct 2018, like how could it compare? I also ate at Chop's and found that was a miss too. I enjoyed my food in the MDR the last two night much better and regretted to have spent the extra money. We had Jamie's for lunch and Chops for dinner the same day. But also I am particular person, I will try most things once but I like my food seasoned a particular way.

Dining is personal. 

Cruise ship food will never exceed destination food in any region, at least not on mass market cruise ships.  If you are seeking a dining experience that rivals better regional food on land you will need to think about small ship luxury cruising.  

I've dined in Jamie's a number of times on different ships and prefer it over Giovanni's.  I find the menu has more variety that suits a return visit unlike the old Giovanni's where there are only one or two entrees that appeal to my tastes.  

1 hour ago, ConstantCruiser said:

Dining is personal. 

Cruise ship food will never exceed destination food in any region, at least not on mass market cruise ships.  If you are seeking a dining experience that rivals better regional food on land you will need to think about small ship luxury cruising. 

My issue is that I was paying a premium for food that was vastly inferior to the main dining hall and even the windjammer buffet, both already included

26 minutes ago, Nate Y said:

My issue is that I was paying a premium for food that was vastly inferior to the main dining hall and even the windjammer buffet, both already included

I had a different experience and the food was better than the MDR. 

I hope you brought the situation to the attention of management on board.

I ate at Jamie's on Anthem in 2019, I'd rate it mostly better than the MDR. About the same as Romano's Macaroni Grill on most items, but only Olive Garden level on some others.

My problem was the inconsistent quality of the offerings. The truffle tagliatelle entree and the arancini appetizer were both to die for. But their "garlic bread" appetizer was literally puffy pan biscuits with a little garlic oil and parmesan drizzled on; it tasted like something I could buy at a supermarket and warm up in my oven at home.

I would personally take Jamie’s over the MDR or Windjammer any day of the week. At least it’s a civilized dining experience where you can enjoy a meal w/o the chaos of the MDR or the buffet. The price is reasonable compared to dining on land so even 1/2 rate Italian food from Jamie’s is worth the extra cost IMHO. 

I loved Jamie's on the newer ships.   I would go there more than once on a cruise.   But I did try it once on one  ship and was just so-so.  And the menus were completely different.  So I assume the restaurants are not the same on each ship.  Including the menu and service.

I think it is hit and miss with the MDR.  Many meals are great and some are not.  I usually look at MDR menus on first day and decide what days I want to have dinner there and do other options on the other days.  The Windjammer can have better food and more variety than the MDR sometimes.  It just does not have the atmosphere  or same service.  

I do really enjoy the variety of restaurants on the larger ships.  And try them all.

We ate at Jamies on our Harmony cruise May 2019, last cruise since Covid ?

We had an excellent experience, our server was beyond excellent. 

She asked us if she could pick what to serve us, why not?  She then asked us some questions about our preferences.

Holy Cow, it was our best meal. She just brought out things and we ate family style.

The food was great but a think what tipped it over to excellent was the server.