Alaska 2022

So I am looking at Alaska in August 2022 to surprise my wife for her birthday and our Anniversary.  Looking at the 7 night Glacier cruises.  The only difference I am seeing is Ovation vs Quantum and different stops along the way.  For those who have been to Alaska, which Itinerary would you recommend?  

August 22, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Endicott, Juneau on Quantum

August 26, Sitka, Skagway, Endicott and Juneau on Ovation 

I’d go research icy straight. It’s a toss up 50/50 it seems. Not much to do there. 

We’re on the Southbound Radiance in May of ‘22 and icy  straight is a port. We’ll find something to do or take a needed nap! ? We added a 3 day Denali land tour pre-cruise so if there’s a port with not much going on, I’m down for a nap! 

I've never been to Sitka, but Icy Strait was one of my favorite ports.  We visited before they even had the dock built, so even less than is there now.  We did a private whale watching excursion and that pretty much made the entire port visit worthwhile for us.  It was just 5 of us on a small boat so we were able to go out and see a lot of whales and even spotted some whales on the shore.

7 hours ago, Yo2slick said:

So I am looking at Alaska in August 2022 to surprise my wife for her birthday and our Anniversary.

I have mine booked for August 29, 2022 on Quantum.  Originally it was booked for August 30, 2021 but that cruise on Quantum was cancelled.  I did a lift and shift to the 2022 cruise.  My wife knows that this cruise is for our anniversary so it won't be a surprise.    What she doesn't know is that I used a sizable FCC from another cancelled cruise and splurged on our first ever Grand Suite.

We did an Alaskan cruise several years ago.  Alaska was great but that cruise happened in May so it was somewhat cold and was snowing in places.  I'm hoping it won't be so cold in August.  If it is, I'm thinking any Quantum class ship will be ideal.

We have never been to Sitka, or Icy Strait Point but our future cruise will do Sitka this time.  

I think you will enjoy either cruise.

14 hours ago, Jill said:

@AshleyDillo and @Baked Alaska now you have me excited about icy straight! Ashley do you remember what whale tour you did? There will be 5 of us. 

I will have to check with my mom, unless @CGTLH happens to know.  This was in 2014, so who knows if they're even still around or in business.

ISP for wildlife and a more authentic Alaska experience.

Sitka for a larger town (as Alaska goes) experience.

ISP sits in an area known for marine wildlife and bears.  The port area is operated by a native cooperative and currently only allows one ship at a time.  There is plenty to do but most of it involves outdoor activities and wildlife tours but there is a pretty cool zip line.  What's lacking are the t-shirt and chinese trinket shops peddling more of the same souvenirs found at other Alaska ports (the native co-op bans those stores).  If you were planning on doing only one whale watching excursion during the whole cruise this is one of the best ports for it.

Sitka has a significant Russia influence as it was once a significant area for Russia commerce back when the land was owned by Russia.  As Alaska goes it's a fairly large city-borough so there are more restaurants and a "downtown".  It's a beautiful area rich in history but more of an urban setting (for Alaska).  If shopping is a higher priority Sitka offers more than ISP.

Here are some trip reports:

ISP

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/12630-ovation-goes-north-way-north-to-alaska-11-nights-may-13-2019/&do=findComment&comment=124366

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/9160-radiance-of-the-seas-alaska-southbound-83118/&do=findComment&comment=83835

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/5211-alaska-recap-celebrity-millennium-june-2017/&do=findComment&comment=51846

Sitka

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/12630-ovation-goes-north-way-north-to-alaska-11-nights-may-13-2019/&do=findComment&comment=125207

Personally I love ISP but I booked a Quantum cruise that includes Sitka primarily because I've only been there once and Quantum is cheaper for the win.