Passengers on MSC Test Positive ... BUT Protocols Are Working!!

The protocols works!! Let's keep cruising!!

----------------------------

Passengers on MSC Seaside cruise ship test positive for COVID-19, disembark in Sicily

Morgan Hines
USA TODAY

The island is a featured stop on MSC Cruises’ Caribbean itineraries sailing from Florida including MSC Meraviglia, MSC Seaside, MSC Divina and MSC Armonia.

Two passengers on board MSC Cruises' MSC Seaside ship tested positive for COVID-19, disembarking Tuesday during a scheduled port call Siracusa a city in Sicily, Italy.

Both passengers were asymptomatic and tested positive during a routine test that is scheduled midway through the itinerary during all MSC cruises, Paige Rosenthal, MSC spokesperson, told USA TODAY Wednesday.

"Immediately after testing positive, the two passengers and their traveling parties were isolated," Rosenthal said. "Similarly, their close contacts were quickly identified and isolated."

Those passengers traveling with the two guests who tested positive all tested negative, as did other close contacts.

All MSC passengers are required to take a test before leaving home 48- to 96 hours prior to the cruise's departure time and one more before embarkation. "This was their third test," Rosenthal said.

After getting off the ship, the two passengers and accompanying parties were taken home by "protected MSC Cruises transport" in coordination with local health authorities.

MSC Seaside has since left Siracusa and is continuing on the itinerary as scheduled.

The passengers who tested positive and those in their party were not allowed to disembark in Malta where the ship docked ahead of the Siracusa port call, given it was a technical stop and passengers were never meant to get off the ship, CNN reported.

Rosenthal said that the two positive COVID-19 tests are "another demonstration" that the cruise line's health and safety protocol is working. MSC has been cruising in the Mediterranean since the summer.

29 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I wonder if they were vaccinated or not. ?

As far as I know MSC does not require vaccines,  Europe vaccine roll out has had a few delays. 

The article states the passengers and accompanying parties were taken off the ship and transported home.  My question is when they say accompanying parties are they only talking about those in their party or were the close contacts who were also tested remove from the ship as well? 

Cruising is all about relaxing, meeting people, talking to people, I've met some really great people over the years on cruise ships and since we know they already have the technology to identify who you've been in close contact with can Royal and or did MSC disembark passengers who were also in close contact but not necessarily with the couples traveling party?   What constitutes close contact and how long would one have to be in close contact for the cruise to say this person tested positive now you have to come with us as well?

Also are their different standards for close contact for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals?

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Were they given a second test to rule out false positives?

The odds of false positives when testing that many people at once is quite high.

I have heard much said about false positives but have never seen any numbers. Off the top of your head do know any ballpark figures?

8 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

I have heard much said about false positives but have never seen any numbers. Off the top of your head do know any ballpark figures?

Apparently when they're use to test asymptomatic people, it's quite high

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/11/17/fda-covid-19-rapid-antigen-tests-can-give-false-positive-results/

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Apparently when they're use to test asymptomatic people, it's quite high

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/11/17/fda-covid-19-rapid-antigen-tests-can-give-false-positive-results/

This sounds fishy, not the report here but really if they are not very reliable why use them at all? 30% is extremely high.

Edited by cruisinghawg

46 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

According to the CDC yes, but as we've seen land rules don't necessarily apply to cruise ship rules

My concern is for unvaccinated passengers if they either test positive while onboard or they are deem to have been in close contact and Royal decides to disembark them at the first available port it could potentially be very expensive for those individuals to get home especially if they don't have insurance.  And if they are actually positive with COVID and its not a false positive they can't return to the US until they test negative which would then involve quarantining in a country they never intended to stay in. 

I believe people should be given the choice whether they want to cruise without being vaccinated but this MSC story should be treated as an eye opener as to what can happen if you do and you test positive. 

12 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

My concern is for unvaccinated passengers if they either test positive while onboard or they are deem to have been in close contact and Royal decides to disembark them at the first available port it could potentially be very expensive for those individuals to get home especially if they don't have insurance.  And if they are actually positive with COVID and its not a false positive they can't return to the US until they test negative which would then involve quarantining in a country they never intended to stay in. 

I believe people should be given the choice whether they want to cruise without being vaccinated but this MSC story should be treated as an eye opener as to what can happen if you do and you test positive. 

Per: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center

You’re taken care of
Book a Royal Caribbean International cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge.
COVID-19 Assistance*

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

*Last modified April 30, 2021. Subject to change. “Travelling Party” means your family members living with you in the same household and travelling companions assigned to your stateroom on the cruise. Conditioned upon compliance with the RCG COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of the cruise. Additional terms and conditions apply. See our COVID-19 Refund and Cancellations Policy and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details.

12 minutes ago, CGTLH said:

Per: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center

You’re taken care of
Book a Royal Caribbean International cruise that’s sailing on or before October 31, 2021 and you’ll have the following reassurance at no extra charge.
COVID-19 Assistance*

• 100% cruise fare refund for you, and your Travelling Party, if any of you tests positive for COVID-19 within 14 days prior to the cruise or at the boarding terminal.
  • Pro-rated cruise fare refund for anyone who has their cruise cut short due to testing positive for COVID-19 or being suspected of having COVID-19 during the cruise.
  • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, Royal Caribbean will cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and travel home for you and your Travelling Party.

*Last modified April 30, 2021. Subject to change. “Travelling Party” means your family members living with you in the same household and travelling companions assigned to your stateroom on the cruise. Conditioned upon compliance with the RCG COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of the cruise. Additional terms and conditions apply. See our COVID-19 Refund and Cancellations Policy and your Cruise Ticket Contract for details.

Then what did Richard Fain mean when he said unvaccinated passengers would have to cover any and all cost associated with their decision to cruise unvaccinated?  He made that statement earlier this week and never really explained what additional cost he was talking about.

8 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Then what did Richard Fain mean when he said unvaccinated passengers would have to cover any and all cost associated with their decision to cruise unvaccinated?  He made that statement earlier this week and never really explained what additional cost he was talking about.

Right now it sounds like a pre-boarding/at check-in test. Maybe some how it will also factor an insurance cost, similar to what is included with the Bahamas Health Visa.

26 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

Something I'm not seeing mentioned here: the entire ship wasn't allowed to disembark at a port stop, and the ship made a technical stop instead... Because of two asymptomatic passengers.

18 minutes ago, LizzyBee23 said:

Something I'm not seeing mentioned here: the entire ship wasn't allowed to disembark at a port stop, and the ship made a technical stop instead... Because of two asymptomatic passengers.

I read it as the ship was using that port as a technical stop already. Similar to what Vision out of Bermuda was going to do in Freeport.

Quote: The passengers who tested positive and those in their party were not allowed to disembark in Malta where the ship docked ahead of the Siracusa port call, given it was a technical stop and passengers were never meant to get off the ship, CNN reported.

Here is a section from the cruise contract that covers if a person tests positive for COVID once onboard and is disembarked.

f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and

even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of Passenger’s traveling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others.Under these circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future cruise credit or the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.RoyalCaribbean.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.If Carrier received payment via credit card and a refund is owed, the refund will be made to that credit card.

file:///C:/Users/u216009/AppData/Local/Temp/cruise-ticket-contract.pdf

I'm not trying to be confrontational I'm just trying to understand because the cruise contract clearly states something completely different than what the Healthy Sail Panel states.  I don't know when the cruise contract was last updated but clearly these two documents are not in agreement.

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

I read it as the ship was using that port as a technical stop already. Similar to what Vision out of Bermuda was going to do in Freeport.

Quote: The passengers who tested positive and those in their party were not allowed to disembark in Malta where the ship docked ahead of the Siracusa port call, given it was a technical stop and passengers were never meant to get off the ship, CNN reported.

*No one* was allowed to disembark in Malta because of a call by the port authority. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I quite wish people understood that the concept of herd immunity isn't a magical button that stops COVID in its tracks. The more immunity, natural or vaccine, the less COVID will spread. But it will always be around, just like various plagues still circulate, albeit at VERY low levels. We just need to be able to make level-headed risk determinations of where that proper risk threshold lies. One of the big questions recently is who is most fit to make that risk analysis, whether it's the government, the cruise lines, or the individual. Hence...arguments (the number one supporter of the internet!) ? )!