New E-Muster drill

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So you still need to check in with someone to get a sticker put on your card after you watch?

At this point, I think thats how they are verifying everyone arrived at the Muster Station.  Visiting the station is part of the requirement I believe.  The smart ships (Quantum class etc) may have an ability to do that electronically.  Im not sure about that.  But this definitely beats going in a big group.  Watch the videos, get started on the drink package, head over to the muster station real fast, and done.  

17 minutes ago, Plumlee2028 said:

At this point, I think thats how they are verifying everyone arrived at the Muster Station.  Visiting the station is part of the requirement I believe.  The smart ships (Quantum class etc) may have an ability to do that electronically.  Im not sure about that.  But this definitely beats going in a big group.  Watch the videos, get started on the drink package, head over to the muster station real fast, and done.  

Yes, we have to know where our muster station is by actually going there. If that’s the biggest inconvenience of muster drill.. I can live with it, especially since I can keep my drink ?

Do you think they'll close the bars, etc. for a ; like about 15  min. before and after the actual time to start the muster drill? ie drill was to start at 4, so from 3:45 to 4:15 they wouldn't serve?, but you could still sit there if you had been to check in at the muster station.

11 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

Do you think they'll close the bars, etc. for a ; like about 15  min. before and after the actual time to start the muster drill? ie drill was to start at 4, so from 3:45 to 4:15 they wouldn't serve?, but you could still sit there if you had been to check in at the muster station.

I don’t.. we’ll know for sure Saturday but my understanding is that you can check in at any point in the designated time frame and they’ll scan your card, put a sticker on it and you’re done.. I’ve heard.. the timeframe is a couple of hours but might be longer due to the extended boarding process. If that’s the case, I don’t see why the bars would close.

15 minutes ago, barjpoe said:

On Celebrity Millennium at least, @monorailmedic noted that all bars were open during the e-muster time window. I imagine it’ll be the same on all ships with e-muster implemented.

10 minutes ago, Josh C said:

I don’t.. we’ll know for sure Saturday but my understanding is that you can check in at any point in the designated time frame and they’ll scan your card, put a sticker on it and you’re done.. I’ve heard.. the timeframe is a couple of hours but might be longer due to the extended boarding process. If that’s the case, I don’t see why the bars would close.

I think they will have to to close the bars for some period of time (maybe towards the end of the window) to force people to actually go to the station. Humans tend to put things to the last minute and without a nudge some probably won't go.

Of course, we did have an issue once where we went to the station with everyone else, scanned our cards, and then still received a letter in our room saying we missed it.  We just had to check in at guest services and they were fine.

14 minutes ago, Reigert2008 said:

I think they will have to to close the bars for some period of time (maybe towards the end of the window) to force people to actually go to the station. Humans tend to put things to the last minute and without a nudge some probably won't go.

Logical idea could be disabling the SeaPass of people that haven't checked in after a certain time. Other thought would be not allowing a card without a sticker beyond a certain time be used.

So what happens for the jerks who chose not to to do what they're supposed to in a timely manner, or straight up refuse to do it at all? Will they delay departure while they track them down? I like the efficiency of this- I truly do hate standing on the deck all crowded together during muster - but I can see where it can go crazy wrong because there are always "those" people.

9 minutes ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

So what happens for the jerks who chose not to to do what they're supposed to in a timely manner, or straight up refuse to do it at all? Will they delay departure while they track them down?

Same thing as the old days. They'd be tracked down and forced to do it later. Departure isnt delayed

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Same thing as the old days. They'd be tracked down and forced to do it later. Departure isnt delayed

If not tracked down till after departure, derelict guests may get to actually experience a ride in a lifeboat, while being taken back to embarkation port. 

1 hour ago, Momof4crazytocruise said:

So what happens for the jerks who chose not to to do what they're supposed to in a timely manner, or straight up refuse to do it at all? Will they delay departure while they track them down? I like the efficiency of this- I truly do hate standing on the deck all crowded together during muster - but I can see where it can go crazy wrong because there are always "those" people.

They will page them over and over and over again until it is taken care of.  They can also disable their SeaPass cards which will force them to go to Guest Services since you can't buy anything or get in the room without it working.

I'm on Millennium and can attest that this was a very easy process.

1. Go to the app and select "safety" within about 24 hours of boarding.
  2. Watch a video and follow a couple other steps, including listen to the emergency horn recording (5 minutes total)
  3. Walk to your muster station, which in my case was the theater. 
  4. Check in with the crew member there and get a sticker on your card.
  5. Enjoy your day.

Since we had 6 hours between the start of boarding and the end of the muster drill, there were no crowds and nothing was closed down.

It's very different, and doesn't feel "right" to an experienced cruiser, but that's all there is to it. Very unobtrusive.

4 hours ago, steverk said:

I can't speak to the edge class. Millennium doesn't have WOW bands 

Edge doesn't either, but they have the IT system to integrate such a capability.    In lieu of a bracelet, a door key swipe or RFID card reader cloud be installed at muster stations to record passenger visit to the station.  I don't think they'll do much more enhancement on older class ships (cheaper to have a crew member give you a smiley sticker when you visit the station).  The WOW type bands are used by other lines than RCL.  (Disney pioneered the concept for their parks)   Useful to monitor location of guests and of course today - contact tracing.  I saw a demo that was used to monitor passenger flow through popular areas on a deck so that improvements could be made to reduce congestion.   

33 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

In lieu of a bracelet, a door key swipe or RFID card reader cloud be installed at muster stations to record passenger visit to the station.

Only problem with this solution is the verification stage. Without adding some sort of means to use facial recognition you'd have nothing preventing someone from scanning a batch of cards. Having a crew member physically scan the card also adds the step of verifying the person.

For the most part I think all Royal ships have started using handheld scanners at the muster stations, scanning either a barcode or RFID tag. Can't recall the last time I've done a muster where they checked you off a paper list.

My guess for the sticker is one of my original thoughts, after a certain time when the card is used a crew member might kindly remind you to check-in at your muster station.