Canadian Government to Lift 14 Day Quarantine Requirement

Media reports are out that the Canadian government will announce today that it will lift the 14-day quarantine requirement AND the three day quarantining in an authorized hotel requirement for fully vaccinated Canadian travelers.

Expecting the changes will go into effect in early July.

• Gears changed the title to Canadian Government to Lift 14 Day Quarantine Requirement
9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Actual video footage from @Lovetocruise2002 earlier today

forrest GIF

I'm actually kicking myself for not going with my usual YOLO Book it mentality and grabbing something for July.  I had a feeling about borders opening two weeks ago.  I hesitated and now July has all but disappeared.  So mad at myself.

ONLY for Canadians.   Not tourists.   Regardless of vaccination status non-Canadians will still have to quarantine with unvaccinated Canadians.

Still need a Covid test when you land and must self isolate while awaiting test results (they say three days, but usually sooner).

Trying to temper my excitement (as my 11 year old isn't old enough to be vaccinated yet, so it's all irrelevant)... but holy this is an exciting first step back to travel!!!!!!!

Woot!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

ONLY for Canadians.   Not tourists.   Regardless of vaccination status non-Canadians will still have to quarantine with unvaccinated Canadians.

Yes, but I think a few days, you will see that evolve.  Notice it also said nothing about crossing the land border?  It's got to be both ways.  I already have a few holds while I sit and wait for more details.

Maybe - but the gov't is going to have to get through a mountain of red tape to figure out what they will and won't accept as proof of vaccine from non-Canadians (never mind proof of vaccine from Canadians vaccinated elsewhere)... and not just Americans, but travelers from the EU, Africa, etc.    Can you imagine the bureaucracy?  

I'm hopeful, and would be happy about it, but I'd be shocked if it was prior to August or September... although I know tourism sector is pushing HARD.   Fingers are crossed for them!

I think they will look at it more openly once more Canadians have been double vaccinated.

18 minutes ago, DJsMrs said:

Maybe - but the gov't is going to have to get through a mountain of red tape to figure out what they will and won't accept as proof of vaccine from non-Canadians (never mind proof of vaccine from Canadians vaccinated elsewhere)... and not just Americans, but travelers from the EU, Africa, etc.    Can you imagine the bureaucracy?  

I'm hopeful, and would be happy about it, but I'd be shocked if it was prior to August or September... although I know tourism sector is pushing HARD.   Fingers are crossed for them!

I think they will look at it more openly once more Canadians have been double vaccinated.

Speaking selfishly here for second, I could care less about air travel in/out of Canada.  As long as they open the land border for fully vaxxed, I am going the first cruise I can get myself on.  I never fly in/out of Canada anyway, and even now, the land border has less restrictions than by air.  I am hopeful that in the next few days, when the dust settles, as long as they lift the quarantine for land crossings, that is the only thing standing in the way between me and the gangway lol

This is great news!  We've had so many bottlenecks....ships not running, vaccines (adults and our kids with younger one turning 12 this month), border opening, son's passport expired, etc etc....and most have been resolved (or will be by our next scheduled cruise).  Now all we need is for our actual cruise to run.  We have even booked a backup cruise (seems to be the norm for us post-covid to have multiple bookings....never did this before) so hoping we will get on one of those in December.

22 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Speaking selfishly here for second, I could care less about air travel in/out of Canada.  As long as they open the land border for fully vaxxed, I am going the first cruise I can get myself on.  I never fly in/out of Canada anyway, and even now, the land border has less restrictions than by air.  I am hopeful that in the next few days, when the dust settles, as long as they lift the quarantine for land crossings, that is the only thing standing in the way between me and the gangway lol

I'm crossing everything for you (fingers, legs, toes, eyes - all of it!)   I'm getting anxious to travel and our cruise isn't until December.   Gawd willing all of this is sorted out by then!!!   Youtube cruise videos just aren't cutting it.

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It’s not too early for a live blog!

There was some Canadian dude who used to post regularly on this site with lots of cruising tips and updates about the Canadian health rules related to COVID, but I haven't seen him post anything for a good while. I hope he hasn't given up on cruising.