Hotel Recommendations - Ft. Lauderdale

Hello!

My Sept '21 was switched from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and I've never been. Looking for hotel recommendations meeting all or most the following criteria:

• $120 / night after taxes MAX
  • 2 beds
  • In-room fridge and microwave
  • Complimentary breakfast (hot is preferred, continental is acceptable)
  • Max 5 minute walking distance to grocery/7-11 or walgreens/cvs stores
  • Max 5 minute walking distance to restaurants/fast food
  • Shuttle to/from Airport OR Port OR both

I normally book Airbnb's but with the pandemic and all I'd rather stay somewhere contained and where they are held liable if it's not properly cleaned.

Looking forward to your picks!

You're going to exceed the knowledge level of most Fort Lauderale residents. Narrow your search using a web service like HotWire. You can put all the criteria you want to filter by and then see what's available. If you come back with your picks, someone here that is a resident will be able to give you a first had recommendation. 

I'd like to go against the grain here and recommend the possibility of a rental car and a hotel further afield. Hear me out here, because it's what we do every time - land at the airport, rent a car, and then the entire metro area is your oyster...go where you want, eat where you want, hotels are often cheaper with more options. Then, return the car the next morning to the cruise port (a few companies have locations at the port itself) and take their free shuttle to the dock. 

Just an idea that I like to share because it works so well for us.

2 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Hello!

My Sept '21 was switched from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and I've never been. Looking for hotel recommendations meeting all or most the following criteria:

• $120 / night after taxes MAX
  • 2 beds
  • In-room fridge and microwave
  • Complimentary breakfast (hot is preferred, continental is acceptable)
  • Max 5 minute walking distance to grocery/7-11 or walgreens/cvs stores
  • Max 5 minute walking distance to restaurants/fast food
  • Shuttle to/from Airport OR Port OR both

I normally book Airbnb's but with the pandemic and all I'd rather stay somewhere contained and where they are held liable if it's not properly cleaned.

Looking forward to your picks!

I am local to downtown Fort Lauderdale and your requests are going to be met most any place on 17th street. The only issue you certainly will have is price because you will have a difficult time finding anything at all at that price point in Fort Lauderdale. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale 17th Street is a solid choice

1 hour ago, FJ28 said:

I stayed at Hyatt Place. Great shuttle service to and from the port and airport. 2 minute walk to a Publix.

1851 S.E. 10Th Ave(Harbor Shops Dr West)

Thanks - I'll check these out!

38 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

I'd like to go against the grain here and recommend the possibility of a rental car and a hotel further afield. Hear me out here, because it's what we do every time - land at the airport, rent a car, and then the entire metro area is your oyster...go where you want, eat where you want, hotels are often cheaper with more options. Then, return the car the next morning to the cruise port (a few companies have locations at the port itself) and take their free shuttle to the dock. 

Just an idea that I like to share because it works so well for us.

I'm certainly not against it (and would love your recommendations if you have any for further hotels or what not).

My main concern is flight + hotel + car rental/ uber can get pricey and starts to feel like we're spending as much as the cruise fare (per person) just to be there one night.

We don't have a choice but to fly (coming in from Chicago) so I try to save on the lodgings, ground transportation and food where I can without ending up in a cardboard box ?

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

You're going to exceed the knowledge level of most Fort Lauderale residents. Narrow your search using a web service like HotWire. You can put all the criteria you want to filter by and then see what's available. If you come back with your picks, someone here that is a resident will be able to give you a first had recommendation. 

I've done some looking on expedia (our go to) but I figured other cruisers might have opinions, too. Covering all my bases and what not

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Hijacking this because why not...

Same question for Tampa?

When we sailed out of Tampa, we stayed at the "Hampton Inn Tampa-Veterans Expwy (Airport North)" the might before. Very clean, comfortable, & affordable. (January 2017)

Biggest selling point for me was that they provided shuttle service from the airport to the hotel AND complementary shuttle service to the cruise port. Just had to make arrangements with the desk clerk on arrival.

1 hour ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I'm certainly not against it (and would love your recommendations if you have any for further hotels or what not).

My main concern is flight + hotel + car rental/ uber can get pricey and starts to feel like we're spending as much as the cruise fare (per person) just to be there one night.

We don't have a choice but to fly (coming in from Chicago) so I try to save on the lodgings, ground transportation and food where I can without ending up in a cardboard box ?

We don't have any standard hotel as long as it's a Hilton property (I have a ton of Hilton points), so we just open up the Hilton search engine and see what's available and rated well. 

As far as pricing - I totally get ya. I would just urge you to do the math. It may work out, it may not. It may be worth it to you, it may not (and "worth" means time and ease in addition to money, only you can decide which one is most important for you). Last time we did it in 2018, hotels outside of the airport/port area (they're essentially next door to each other) were like $50 cheaper, whereas a rental car with gas was about the same. So price wise, it was a wash. And while it added a bit of time to pick up the car and drive, it opened up our abilities to explore new places on the afternoon we flew in, eat at different (cheaper or not) places, buy some drinks at the liquor store to drink in the room that evening, grab some stuff from the store, go out to breakfast the next morning, and just have a sense of freedom. 

1 hour ago, Zacharius said:

We don't have any standard hotel as long as it's a Hilton property (I have a ton of Hilton points), so we just open up the Hilton search engine and see what's available and rated well. 

As far as pricing - I totally get ya. I would just urge you to do the math. It may work out, it may not. It may be worth it to you, it may not (and "worth" means time and ease in addition to money, only you can decide which one is most important for you). Last time we did it in 2018, hotels outside of the airport/port area (they're essentially next door to each other) were like $50 cheaper, whereas a rental car with gas was about the same. So price wise, it was a wash. And while it added a bit of time to pick up the car and drive, it opened up our abilities to explore new places on the afternoon we flew in, eat at different (cheaper or not) places, buy some drinks at the liquor store to drink in the room that evening, grab some stuff from the store, go out to breakfast the next morning, and just have a sense of freedom. 

In season down here it doesn’t matter how far you go from FFL or the port, it’s going to be pricy. With that being said, Dania Pointe offers pretty much everything needed for pre-cruise (dining exc) and is slightly cheaper then 17th street options. 

7 hours ago, FJ28 said:

I stayed at Hyatt Place. Great shuttle service to and from the port and airport. 2 minute walk to a Publix.

1851 S.E. 10Th Ave(Harbor Shops Dr West)

This is my go to. I usually book through a website called valuetrips which provides a good discounted rate. I do believe there is a charge to go to the port so it may be cheaper to take an uber.

They have had hot breakfast buffet in the past but I don't know how that will work in September. Wifi should be included as well. 

I like this area in general because there are several hotels to choose from, lots of food options, a couple of wine shops, the aforementioned Publix, plus a Dollar Tree, Ross and TJ Maxx in case you forgot something (or the airline forgot it on your behalf). 

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Pretty much anything on 17th Street is decent.  On that street, we've done, Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, and Renaissance.  They all have easy access to the port and many restaurants and stores to grab last minute goods within walking distance.

No La Bamba shoutout from @Lovetocruise2002 ?? We need to get that Canadian border opened! 

On 6/10/2021 at 7:49 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Pretty much anything on 17th Street is decent.  On that street, we've done, Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express, and Renaissance.  They all have easy access to the port and many restaurants and stores to grab last minute goods within walking distance.

Hey Sabrina! Would you also stay on 17th street if your cruise ported out of Miami? Soooo much cheaper to fly SW into FLL. I have the Marriot Grand Marquis concierge floor in MIA reserved for Christmas Day (night), but I think the club won't be serving anything due to being Christmas Day. For that matter, I don't think anything would be open on 17th street, either.

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hey Sabrina! Would you also stay on 17th street if your cruise ported out of Miami? Soooo much cheaper to fly SW into FLL. I have the Marriot Grand Marquis concierge floor in MIA reserved for Christmas Day (night), but I think the club won't be serving anything due to being Christmas Day. For that matter, I don't think anything would be open on 17th street, either.

Heck no! Lol. I almost always fly into FLL from DTW (cheaper) whether I sail from Miami or Port Everglades. If I sail from Miami, I stay at the Intercontinental Miami. I need those Bay views. ❤️

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Heck no! Lol. I almost always fly into FLL from DTW (cheaper) whether I sail from Miami or Port Everglades. If I sail from Miami, I stay at the Intercontinental Miami. I need those Bay views. ❤️

Another question! Do you happen to know if the concierge lounge would be open on Christmas evening and Dec 26th for the complimentary food and beverage offerings? I know it's a crap shoot, but wondering what your experiences are. Also, paging @twangsterand @WAAAYTOOO for their experiences with Christmas and New Years Day travel. Thank you. I appreciate you A LOT!!

20 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Another question! Do you happen to know if the concierge lounge would be open on Christmas evening and Dec 26th for the complimentary food and beverage offerings? I know it's a crap shoot, but wondering what your experiences are. Also, paging @twangsterand @WAAAYTOOO for their experiences with Christmas and New Years Day travel. Thank you. I appreciate you A LOT!!

I am guessing that you are referring to the lounge at the Marriott?  I have never stayed there but I would think that if you contacted the hotel directly, they could probably give you the best answer.  @WAAAYTOOOoften stays at Marriott properties, maybe she can shed more light.

5 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

I would think regardless that a hotel operates fully functional 365 days per year (exception being COVID restrictions). 

The last time I stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay (Miami) (I've never stayed at the Grand Marquis that I can recall) the lounge was open but it was very disappointing.  Let's just say that the service and food options are far superior in any given Diamond Lounge than they were at that hotel lounge.  I would certainly NOT expect it to be open on a Christmas night.  Even if you call you could well get an incorrect answer.  I have really just given up on Marriott properties with Concierge Lounges.  It is my personal opinion that they are trying to phase out that amenity completely.  They don't seem to be putting any money or effort into Concierge level service. Our last stay at the Biscayne Bay location was the final straw.  While I will remain with Marriott until I lose my Titanium tier status (which I assume will be the end of this year), once I no longer have status, I will kick them to the curb.  Now, if we are staying in a hotel, I will just choose a Courtyard or Fairfield Inn or some such lower brand to use up points without any expectations of special service.  Frankly, I have found that the Marriott brand hotels (not the Courtyards, etc., but the BIG Marriotts) are generally old, run down and subpar.  Since COVID I am just generally frustrated with hotels in general. IMO they seem to be using COVID as an excuse to provide poor service.  While they no longer provide any room servicing (you have to go to the main desk to get fresh towels and/or toilet paper), they have certainly not reduced their prices !  I think they laid off their service employees and believe that they can just continue to eliminate the room (and food) servicing and that no one will realize it or complain. They are still using COVID as an excuse and we have moved on since that was necessary.  Really pathetic, IMO.

Sorry...that turned into more of a rant than I intended.  Have a great time on your Christmas/NY cruise !!

Wayyytooo fyi,  looks like your next cruise is on the odyessy july 17  and we are also. We drive from our home to ft.laud and always use goldcoast parking but today i called and they said they will be closed till next year so now we are considering marriott or something else to keep our car. Will post if we find something.

17 minutes ago, silentfaith said:

Wayyytooo fyi,  looks like your next cruise is on the odyessy july 17  and we are also. We drive from our home to ft.laud and always use goldcoast parking but today i called and they said they will be closed till next year so now we are considering marriott or something else to keep our car. Will post if we find something.

YIPPEE !!!  Have you gotten your new room assignment yet ?  We have not.  The website still shows us on 7-17 (and 7-25 since we are doing a B2B) Indy.  UGH.

Not sure what we're going to do yet for transportation.  We may just Uber down and back so that we don't have to deal with parking (14 days).  Since they have not yet released any protocols (including "special" protocols for the unvaxxed) we are not 100% sure that we are going.  Since they are offering a cash refund we may end up cancelling.  Still waiting to see how things go.

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Since COVID I am just generally frustrated with hotels in general. IMO they seem to be using COVID as an excuse to provide poor service.  While they no longer provide any room servicing (you have to go to the main desk to get fresh towels and/or toilet paper), they have certainly not reduced their prices !  I think they laid off their service employees and believe that they can just continue to eliminate the room (and food) servicing and that no one will realize it or complain. 

Amen