Confidence in Cruising and Redeploying?

Our family with son's friend booked a cruise on Independence of the Seas after reading Royal's book with confidence initiative offering 125% future cruise credit if our cruise were to be cancelled. Our cruise was cancelled but were moved to Odyssey of the Seas. The dates are the same but we're going to different ports of call. Additionally, our connected room configuration with children has been moved to two separate decks. Royal stated this is classified as a redeployment and therefore not an official cancellation meaning we're not candidates for the 125% future cruise credit. Moreover, we were told if we wanted our rooms to be closer we'd have to upgrade one of the rooms to a suite for $2,000 more as balcony and interior rooms were fully booked. We're unable to cruise with the current room arrangement and have been told if we want to cancel then we can do so for a standard refund as we would be the ones cancelling. We've been hoodwinked with the old bait and switch but can fix everything on a cruise we never would have signed up for on our own if we'd give just another 2k. We've asked our issue be forwarded to the customer service supervisor's supervisor. Any advice for the not so confident in cruising? 

• C_Petrosso changed the title to Confidence in Cruising and Redeploying?

First and foremost, watch that deadline to cancel for a refund so you dont lose that option.

I would give serious thought to cancelling for a 100% refund, and then working with a good travel agent to rebook something that fits what you're looking for.  Booking directly with the cruise line can sometimes lead to situations like this where you're feeling "lost in the shuffle".

I tried to think of this if i was in your shoes and it really is a rock and a hard place.

I'm assuming your kids are too young for you to feel okay with them being that far on their own and the only other option would be to split the adults one with half the kids one on deck and the other with the rest. Certainly not at all ideal, but an option.

I think, if I was in your place, I'd try my darndest not to cancel primarily because being on this ship for the cost of the Independence is a massive steal (spoken as one who was also switched) and with prices currently being much higher than normal you might have a hard time putting that refund toward another cruise around the same time for a similar cost.

I know you guys probably wanted the connecting rooms to give everyone some independence and privacy but would it be possible to book JUST the suite? Might even out to the same cost? (not sure what kind of suite you're next too but if it's a GS 2 bedroom or higher it might give the same feeling)

4 hours ago, C_Petrosso said:

Both kids are 13 years old. One is my stepson and the other is his best friend. Having the connected rooms was a huge selling point for us. We weren't aware the ship was the newest and best in their fleet. Thank you for the insight and will allow us to see this more positively.

I would say that you absolutely are getting the better ship in Odyssey over Independence and if you can get the room situation figured out. 

Are both of the minors booked in the same room or did you put one adult in each room on the booking?  Royal's policy for minors states they have to be in a room with someone over the age of 21 unless they are in connecting staterooms.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

I know they are working on trying to get everyone on the Indy sailing switched over and Odyssey doesn't have the same number of connecting rooms/configuration, but I would escalate this if your booking actually has the 13 year olds in their own cabin and it's not at least down the hall from you.  If you did split up the adults when booking the rooms originally, then they expect you to have an adult in each room.