First Class Air worth it on Delta

Husband and I are going to Alaska this August 27,2021   (thanks to Kelley our TM from MEI and her group rate!)

We are flying from Greensboro NC to Seattle Aug 25th and flying back home Sept 4th.

It was our 25th Wedding Anniversary this past May.

When my husband I were just married (three months) we got bumped to First Class from Tampa Fl to Charlotte NC.

My husband told me we would only fly first class, we have never flown first class since.

I'd like to surprise my husband since the Alaska trip is all for me, he just enjoys making me happy (I'm very lucky).

So is it worth the money to fly first class, our longest leg is 5.24 hours (ATL to SEA)

The difference in price is an additional $1200-$1400 total

One of my main concerns is the "extra" amenities are not being offered due to COVID 

Is this a YOLO movement

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, MicDay said:

Husband and I are going to Alaska this August 27,2021   (thanks to Kelley our TM from MEI and her group rate!)

We are flying from Greensboro NC to Seattle Aug 25th and flying back home Sept 4th.

When my husband I were just married (three months) we got bumped to First Class from Tampa Fl to Charlotte NC.

My husband told me we would only fly first class, we have never flown first class since.

I'd like to surprise my husband since the Alaska trip is all for me, he just enjoys making me happy (I'm very lucky).

So is it worth the money to fly first class, our longest leg is 5.24 hours (ATL to SEA)

One of my main concerns is the "extra" amenities are not being offered due to COVID 

Is this a YOLO movement

Thoughts?

This is my travel splurge, I'll stay in Inside Cabins, but fly 1st class all day long. 

First Class has a lot of benefits that are still in effect, such as additional bags without charge, priority lines for security, priority boarding, saying nothing of a lot of extra room and if you get a pre-departure beverage and meal - that's just an extra bonus. Additionally, if there's an issue, you get taken care of first (pun intended). Here's the link from Delta on their Domestic 1st class benefits. First Class | Delta Air Lines 

As for the cost, to quote @Matt YOLO Book It!! ?

I flew first class from DTW-MCO on Delta on 5/30, while on such a short flight the added amenities aren't necessarily worth it and I wouldn't purposefully book a first class ticket on a flight shorter than 3.5/4 hours, I took advantage of a free upgrade and enjoyed myself.  I can confirm they are getting somewhat back to "normal". Food service was still a premade lunchbox meal and was sufficient for my short flight. The biggest change was the beverage selection. Liquor had been added back to the available options where previously was limited to red/white wine and 2-3 different beers. 

We have been booking mostly first class flights for a couple of years now, when it's not too unreasonably priced.  Just like cruising, we find that booking as early as possible sometimes gets us in first class at a pretty reasonable cost. The extra benefits mentioned by others above are all nice, and now with the Covid craziness its nice to have the extra "distancing".  I think that if you're able to afford it then it's worth going first class, especially on such a long flight.

Depends on plane in my opinion.

When we did Alaska in 2014 the ATL-SEA leg was first clsss in a 767. It was great having a near lay flat seat to sleep on. Plus getting a hot meal and adult beverages was nice.

Leg from SEA-FAI on Alaskan Airlines 737 was nothing special. MCO-ATL on Delta in a 757 only noteworthy thing was boarding to the left, not worrying about anyone bumping you during general boarding.

7 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don't find that price jump to be worth it, even with full pre-pandemic service.  I can see a few hundred more but not that much.  

Yes that is quite a difference in price, but that seems to be how Delta rolls.

Also be sure to note the plane out of GSO. You could be on a regional jet or a 717 which could dilute the first class experience.

Now the ATL-SEA leg of the 2:31 flight out of GSO is on a 767-400, which was recently refurbished.

I think you guys are all split half/half, just like me!

Flying out of GSO was cheaper by a couple of hundred dollars then CLT.

Since I booked the Main Ticket and not the Economy Ticket,  I picked our seats.

We are either sitting in the very front two seats (no third seat) on the short flight and on long flight we are in the Emergency Exit seats (no third seat)

The third seat is why Comfort Plus is not an option, every row has one person already booked. 

We flew first class to Hawaii 5 years ago and now we are spoiled. Ever since then we fly first class. We enjoy the priority checkin, free baggage, and no third seat to deal with. The extra snacks and meals on longer trips is nice too. Not sure it is worth it money wise but we still keep doing it....?

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I don't find that price jump to be worth it, even with full pre-pandemic service.  I can see a few hundred more but not that much.  

disagree it is a 5-1/2 hour flight, there will now be drinks, the front restroom or rooms will be for first class passengers only, others will be directed to the rear, most likely served a meal.

Dont know the full price to determine if 1200-1400 is reasonable (you'll have to decide.  I just booked a 5 hour flight from ORD to SJU First Class after the first of the year for 750 more for 2.  That was 68% more than basic economy (no seat selection) but only 35% more than main cabin fare.

Have flown all three major lines UA, AA, Delta for business and although I no longer have it (retired) I had status on all 3 for about 5 years.  Delta service was and in my opinion still is the best especially in 1st class.

OP its your 25th, if it will not put you in financial bind, splurge you will not regret it.  My wife still talks years later about eating dinner atop the Eiffel Tower on her 50th birthday, expensive Heck yes, but I have absolutely no regrets, spending the most i ever have and probably ever will for a meal.

Like my 95 years old dad just said to me 2 weeks ago "you can't take it with you"

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Regarding the scaling back of FC, I thought food and drink has returned? 

In general, it’s slowly being rolled back out on major carriers. Not where it was pre-covid, but better than what it was during 2020 - early 2021. YMMV depending on each airline. 

Evidently Josh's think alike because I've got the same opinion as @Josh C, really don't generally care about the cabin but FC is pretty much a must for me.  Priority lines, more comfortable seats, alcohol (well, used to be at least), free checked bags and never needing to worry about overhead space.  It's just the right way for me to start and end any trip.

Now that I'm thinking about it...I hope that the suites I have booked upcoming don't make it hard to go back to my usual cabins....

16 hours ago, dodgestang said:

The only call out I will make is that since Covid.....first class travel has been a little bland.....no drinks, no food, just a better seat and no one hassling you about bags

It's getting back to normal. I've flown first class quite a bit domestically during Covid, albeit on AA, and the service has definitely come back from the April/May days. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I just need the alcohol to come back.

But I agree with others, bumping up to first class is a terrific splurge.

I got fairly buzzed on an AA DFW-SEA flight last month ?

15 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

It's getting back to normal. I've flown first class quite a bit domestically during Covid, albeit on AA, and the service has definitely come back from the April/May days. 

I got fairly buzzed on an AA DFW-SEA flight last month ?

Flew First on AA for Thanksgiving and Chistmas travel 2020 (so 6 months ago) and it was mask on, sit down, shut up, and don't ask for anything because you aint getting it....I hope they are almost back to normal for my flights in August to the Bahamas

I personally do not think first class seats on flights within the US (domestic flights) are worth it.  I have rec'd free upgrades but do not purchase that class.    On the other hand, International flights are another story.  Where the flights are much longer and you can get full lay-flat seats.    And since I also have to travel to another US city to get my international flight, my days are 20+ hours long.   But those first class seats are pretty expensive, so I often use mileage points for those seats.

I was/am pretty bougie when it comes to flights. When I fly international it is always business class or higher, premium economy at least on certain connecting flights, if that is all they have. Certain domestic flights IMHO are definitely not worth the first class flight price i.e anything under 2 1/2 hrs. Being from Chicago my usual port is Canaveral and that flight is just barely over 2 hours. Usually a flight from ORD-MCO is 3 to 4x higher than main cabin or comfort plus, so I cannot justify the cost, when it can be used for bevs and food. $1200-1400 could be used for a lot of different thing pre- and post cruise. But I do believe in YOLO and you can't take anything with you....also you can always make more money but can't get back how you spend your time.

• 1 month later...

Sitting here on the phone waiting for Delta to answer.

Delta has changed our flight to Seattle that leaves in 32 days.

Delta has totally changed our layover from JFK to DWT

By doing this we are still in first class CLT to DWT but from DWT to SEA we are in coach and are not even sitting anywhere near each other!!

For you frequent flyers is that normal and how is that allowed if I paid for a first class ticket?

I checked Delta and our original flight is still available but FC is sold out.

I booked this a month ago and chose our seats, why/how can Delta do this?

@twangsteryou seemed to fly Delta a lot, has this happen to you?

On 6/8/2021 at 5:08 PM, MicDay said:

Is this a YOLO movement

Thoughts?

Lately the service has been pretty sparse on the upgraded seats I've had.  (I have a high frequent flyer level so get complimentary upgrades when open).   Would pay for business on an overseas flight, but not seeing the love on domestic flights.  Although Alaska is like on overseas flight from a timeline  perspective.   The upgrade still gets you superior seating (legroom etc)and the baggage perks.  But cabin service is not much better than coach (airline dependent - I fly AA and  its pretty bad , but I'm too invested in the frequent flyer program).  Just a sign of the times we're in.

I recommend American…that has

absolutely nothing to do with them paying my mortgage every month. 

in seriousness, I cant speak for Delta but i know AA brought back most routine service.  Regarding alcohol, that is being directly tied to the assaults on flight attendants…once that stops,  normal service will resume.  

@cruisellama I think you missed my update

I paid for first class seats and on my longest leg got bumped to coach, not sure how Delta can do that but they did.

I had the same thing happen to me. I gave Delta call and explained that I paid for first class seats and got bumped, I ask them to either find me the first class seats or refund me. The Delta representative had to contact her supervisor and I was told that I could have a partial refund or they would find me first class seats. I took the first class seats. 

10 hours ago, Plumlee2028 said:

I recommend American…that has

absolutely nothing to do with them paying my mortgage every month. 

in seriousness, I cant speak for Delta but i know AA brought back most routine service.  Regarding alcohol, that is being directly tied to the assaults on flight attendants…once that stops,  normal service will resume.  

Currently on AA, adult beverages only in first class only at this time.  Minimum service in other classes..  So benefits of Main Cabin extra are greatly reduced (at this time).   With the masking up, its just an unpleasant experience.  Hoping things get better by next year when I start some long flights.

I flew Delta first class between Orlando and NYC. Both flights we did not get offered a drink until after the plane took off and regular cabin service started.

There was alcohol served on our flight, just a little disappointed we were not offered something as we sat down.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I flew Delta first class between Orlando and NYC. Both flights we did not get offered a drink until after the plane took off and regular cabin service started.

There was alcohol served on our flight, just a little disappointed we were not offered something as we sat down.

that happens occasionally when in First Class with each of the big 3 airline, and like you I find it disappointing.  Some crews treat you in First Class like your flying there and some act like it is an imposition to have to provide you the extra service.  To me it just depends upon how good of a crew you get.

I never book domestic first or biz on US business trips.  The meager benefits you'll get:

- Maybe food served, on 4+ hour flights.

- First boarding group and first off at the end of the flight (less competition for overhead compartments, if you need one).

- Slightly nicer seat.

- Some free booze.

- Free checked bag.

Personal (vacation) trips I'll book biz for long flights.  If you hunt around, you may score a flight that's going to continue on to an international destination (787, etc.) where booking biz will get you something really nice like a lie-flat seat.