Anthem of the Seas Protocols announced for summer sailings from UK

As a reminder all guests sailing on Anthem of the Seas between 07th July 2021 – 29th August 2021 must be a resident of the United Kingdom (including the Channel Islands & Isle of Man).

Vaccine & Test Requirements At A Glance

Vaccine Requirement
At this time, all Royal Caribbean guests 18 years and older must have completed all doses of their COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before sailing. Guests younger than 18 don’t need to be vaccinated — but if they are, they can follow the testing guidance for fully vaccinated guests.

Please note that all crew onboard Anthem of the Seas will also be fully vaccinated.

Testing Requirement
There are different testing requirements at different stages for cruises departing from England, and they vary depending on your age and vaccine status. Here’s a breakdown.

Vaccinated Guests must bring the negative result of an rt-PCR test taken within 72 hours of sailing. We will email instructions on how to register for your complimentary test approximately 14-18 days before your cruise.

Unvaccinated Guests, 2-17 years old, must take a complimentary rapid antigen test at the terminal and receive a negative result in order to sail. We will email instructions on how to register in advance approximately 14-18 days before your cruise.

Guests Under The Age Of 2 have no testing requirements.

Travel Documents Checklist

Guests sailing from Southampton will need to have the following documents when they arrive to board the ship.

• Passport/ Driving License: Guests of every age are required to have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months after their sailing’s return date. Guests sailing before the end of August on UK domestic cruises may provide a valid UK Driving License.
  • Proof of Vaccination: Royal Caribbean requires guests age 18 and older to be fully vaccinated. On arrival at the port vaccinated guests must display their vaccination status on the NHS App or provide a valid NHS vaccination certificate or letter.

We recommend that guests register for the NHS App or vaccination certificate at least 1 week prior to travel, for more information please visit the below websites:

England

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/vaccination-status-for-travelling-abroad/

Scotland

https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid19status

Wales

https://gov.wales/demonstrating-your-covid-19-vaccination-status-when-travelling-abroad

Northern Ireland- The Department of Health is working on a solution to enable proof of vaccination. We will update this webpage once we have additional information.

Isle of Man & Channel Islands- Please bring a letter or certificate from your general practitioner (GP) as proof of vaccination.

• RT-PCR Test Result: Vaccinated guests will need to present negative result for an RT-PCR test taken no more 72 hours of sailing. Guests can display their test status on our testing providers App or guests can download the certificate and bring a paper version to the port.
  • Health Questionnaire: All guests must complete the pre cruise Health Questionnaire on the Royal Caribbean App. It will become available in the app the day before you board.
  • Proof of Residency: Sailings onboard Anthem of the Seas between 07th July 2021 – 29th August 2021 are restricted to UK residents only. Your NHS App/Certificate will also act as proof of residency, if you have been vaccinated outside of the UK you will be required to bring an alternative proof of residency, accepted documents listed here.  If you require any additional assistance, please contact us prior to sailing on 0344 493 4005.

Cruise Ready Recap

Follow these steps for a smooth boarding day in Southampton.

• Get Vaccinated: It’s required for guests 18 and older — make sure you complete your full dosage at least 14 days before you arriving in Southampton.
  • 30 Days Before: Download the Royal Caribbean App and check in for your cruise. At this time, you’ll also select a 30-minute arrival time slot to begin the boarding process in Southampton.
  • 14 Days Before: Register for the RT-PCR / Antigen test that you will take before boarding. We’ll email you instructions about two weeks before your cruise.
  • 3 Days Before:  Within 72 hrs of arriving in Southampton, take your RT-PCR test (vaccinated guests only).
  • 1 Day Before: Complete the Guest Health questionnaire on the Royal App.

What to Expect On Boarding Day

Getting ready to go aboard

• We will provide all guests with a designated arrival time, we recommend that you complete your on-line check in as soon as possible so you can pick your preferred time.
  • It is essential that you arrive at your designated boarding time, failure to do this will cause a delay to your boarding experience
  • All guests will be asked to complete their wellness screening at the port and provide the required documentation. Unvaccinated guests will also need to take the rapid antigen test on arrival at the port and wait for a short wait period after for their test for their results. You will be guided step by step through the process once you arrive. 
  • Please wear your face mask at all times during the boarding process.

Onboard the Ship

Mask Policy
For cruises departing Southampton, see the onboard mask policy below. We are continually evaluating this policy against the latest public health standards and will advise booked guests of any changes.

• Outdoors onboard: Masks are not required outdoors in open-air areas, such as decks, balconies and by the pool, unless you are in a crowded setting. Masks are not permitted in the pool or for any activity where they could become wet.
  • Indoors onboard: All guests 11 years and older must wear a mask in all indoor public spaces, unless seated and actively eating or drinking. Masks are not required in your stateroom as long as you are with your own travel party.

Muster 2.0
The muster (or safety) drill—a mandatory practice at the beginning of each cruise designed to instruct guests in the unlikely event of an emergency. Guests complete the drill on their own time through either the Royal Caribbean app or their stateroom TV. All guests will need to visit their assembly station—a designated check-in location onboard—to complete the process.

Dining
As all dining venues will offer spaced seating, it is strongly encouraged that you make reservations for your onboard dining. You can reserve specialty dining and My Time Dining times before your cruise via Cruise Planner. Reservations for the Main Dining Room and Windjammer can be made once onboard by using the Royal Caribbean App or calling the reservation line. Windjammer will be open for breakfast and lunch, and food will now be served to you by crew members to avoid guests sharing serving utensils. If you’d like to dine with other parties during your cruise, you can easily link your bookings by using the Royal Caribbean App or calling us on 0344 493 4005.

Entertainment
Be sure to book your showtimes once onboard, using the Royal Caribbean App. Venues will seat at a reduced capacity to allow for physical distancing, but to ensure everyone gets a chance to enjoy our showstopping entertainment, we’ll also be offering more showtimes throughout your sailing.

At Ports of Call

Shore Excursions
At this time we anticipate that you won’t need to book a tour to go ashore at our destinations, we are working closely with each of the ports we visit and will ensure we adhere to the protocols they have defined. But be sure to check out our selection of curated shore excursions — we’ve worked with local tour operators to ensure that they are following the health protocols we have outlined, and to offer a variety to choose from for all interests and budgets. You can reserve tours now on Cruise Planner.

Mask Policy
When going into port, please observe all local mask ordinances in place for the safety of our guests, crew, and locals in port. During shore excursions, your guide advise as masks are needed.

Preparing to Return Home

Testing
No further tests or documentation is required for your return and disembark at Southampton.

15 minutes ago, Brogan said:

Vaccinated Guests must bring the negative result of an rt-PCR test taken within 72 hours of sailing. We will email instructions on how to register for your complimentary test approximately 14-18 days before your cruise.

Unvaccinated Guests, 2-17 years old, must take a complimentary rapid antigen test at the terminal and receive a negative result in order to sail. We will email instructions on how to register in advance approximately 14-18 days before your cruise.

What?

If you're vaccinated, you need a PCR test. If you're not vaccinated, an antigen test will suffice?

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

@Brogan Was this announced today?

Yes, as I am booked on an Anthem sailing this summer I received an email today from Royal outlining the new policies and protocols for anthem this summer and their UK website has been updated with this info today.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/healthy-sail-center/before-you-board-your-cruise?country=GBR

Will everyone over 18 have been offered both jabs in the UK by the time Anthem starts sailing?

I'm not getting my first jab for another two weeks - how is this fair?? Why has age discrimination suddenly became acceptable in this society?

7 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Will everyone over 18 have been offered both jabs in the UK by the time Anthem starts sailing?

I'm not getting my first jab for another two weeks - how is this fair?? Why has age discrimination suddenly became acceptable in this society?

I’m in the same position as you. I am only 20 and so haven’t received my first dose yet and won’t for about 2 weeks probs. Also in the UK they are still saying 3 months between jabs. I’m just hoping I can get my second jab a lot sooner than the 3 months they are saying.

I'm due to sail on Anthem with my family on 1st August.  I am really surprised that Royal Caribbean are asking  the fully vaccinated adults to have the PCR test.  I know Royal are offering it as a complimentary test, but I am aware that they that they cost around£99 per person if people book them privately.   We have 2 children in our party- one 17years and one 16years .  They are unvaccinated and will only be required to have the lateral flow test at the port.  It feels like they have got it the wrong way round!  Most people on board will be fully vaccinated so that's going to cost Royal Caribbean a lot to pay for these expensive tests.  Surely the expensive PCR tests should be for the unvaccinated cruisers?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Thanks.  But we don’t know this will apply to FL departures yet, correct ?

I love the idea of being able to get my own tests vs having to be tested at the port.  Just trying to verify that it will be possible to do that.

44 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Thanks.  But we don’t know this will apply to FL departures yet, correct ?

I love the idea of being able to get my own tests vs having to be tested at the port.  Just trying to verify that it will be possible to do that.

It hasn't been announced yet for FL departures.  I'd also prefer to bring my own test results to embarkation as I know where to get ones that I can administer the nasal swab myself and not suffer the deep nasal gouging of a medical provider.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

It hasn't been announced yet for FL departures.  I'd also prefer to bring my own test results to embarkation as I know where to get ones that I can administer the nasal swab myself and not suffer the deep nasal gouging of a medical provider.

We will not get the nasal swab.  If they won't let us do a cheek swab or a saliva test, we will not be going.

I'm slightly worried about what kind of test they will administer on the ship.  Same criteria as above so if they insist on doing the nasal swab, we are out.

Congratulations on resisting the death jab !  LOL  Glad you'll be one of "us".

?

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Congratulations on resisting the death jab !  LOL  Glad you'll be one of "us".

Nah, not one of you guys. I was looking at it in case they decide to make everyone test regardless of vaccination status.  They said they won't, but who knows.  The only time I had someone else administer the test on me was brutal.  Doing the nasal swab myself was no issue for me.  I know a lot of countries specifically won't accept a non-nasal swab.

1 hour ago, ChrisK2793 said:

Looks like masks will NOT be required for vaccinated passengers leaving from North America ……. They aren’t required for anybody vaccinated on the cruises leaving from the Bahamas:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise?dPort=bahamas

Those protocols are ONLY for Bahamas sailings. Royal Caribbean hasn't released protocols for cruises from US.

IMHO the worst thing is when ppl need to do a rapid test at the terminal. Have a lot of friends who were tested positive with rapidtest then negative later with PCRtest. In Denmark they talk about 40% of positive with rapid tests are false positive but once at the terminal there are no time to do a PCRtest if rapidtest is positive. Imagine to have your whole family denied boarding and then discover it was a false positive later ?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Those protocols are ONLY for Bahamas sailings. Royal Caribbean hasn't released protocols for cruises from US.

Yes true, however, considering the CDC has already said vaccinated people don’t have to wear masks at all inside or out anymore, I can’t see why RCL would make the mask rules for cruises leaving from the US any stricter than for cruises leaving from the Bahamas.

I could be totally wrong, but I think it would be crazy for RCL to make the mask protocol any different/stricter for vaccinated passengers leaving from the US as compared to the Bahamas.  Especially when they know it will make a lot of vaccinated American passengers furious to have to wear a mask inside all the time like on the UK cruises.