Alaska excursions seem to be less offerings this summer.

12thman

Anyone else notice that there's less shore excursions this summer? Also why doesn't the cruise planner have an advisory about mask being mandatory? Looked at a couple on the cruise planner then found the same vendor's website and it clearly stated that masks are required. Something about Alaska law I think?

Since RC was not showing a lot I looked at other options.

I called Alaskatours because they too were not showing much either. 

Amanda who lives in Skagway said they did not think there would be any cruises to Alaska in 2021. 

Since the season is so short for 2021 a lot of tour operators will not start up due to the cost.

She said there would not be any sled tours nor any plane tours.

RC still has both offered on their site so who knows. 

Maybe RC promising a certain number for the tour operators will open their doors?

Just what I've learned in the last week.  Hopefully like @Fairlynew said, they closer we get maybe more options open up.

Many of the tour operators pull employees from other part of the state (or country).   They often need a place to stay (think dorm) when they're in the operating areas.  So there's a whole "chain" of support that needs to be re-established and a short season may  not make it work financially.   I met several in Scagway that actually lived in Anchorage and some in Ketchikan who lived in Seattle.   Also a few mainland US retirees who RV up to Denali area and work the resorts for the summer.   The many of the locals are "owners" of the business but rely on non-AK employees.