More Newbie Confusion

jeffd99

Ok so bear with me here.  Booked all the shows and dinners weeks ago for our upcoming Allure cruise (it leaves on Sunday!!!!).  How do you all work the puzzle that is making sure you get to see the shows you want, have the dinners you want AND be able to get dressed up for formal night?  I thought I had it all figured out until I was doing a final check of my stuff just now.  Let me caveat all this by saying that we have traditional dining in the late rotation.  Early doesn't work for us and MTD was "full" when we booked so I went with it.  My only concern with our schedule is that we are missing both formal nights in the MDR.  I have two daughters who love to dress up and they are okay with doing it at a speciality restaurant but wondering if we are "missing something"  Here's what I have done: 

Day one:  We want to go to the MDR to meet our servers since it's night one.  We always have done this on Disney ships and thought it was the best way to get our cruise off to a great start.  

Day two:  We booked Izumi Hibachi for this night, mostly because we also booked Ocean Aria for this night and that takes place in the middle of our dining time.  I wasn't taking into account that this is formal night.  We won't dress formally to go to Izumi for a hibachi meal. 

Day 3:  Back to MDR as we have Mama Mia before dinner.  

Day 4:  MDR 

Day 5: MDR 

Day 6:  We are booked for Giovanni's.  If we would be better served to go to MDR this night to enjoy formal night, then perhaps I can switch out our reservation to Day 5 instead. If it is just as cool to be dressed up and do Giovanni's, I'm okay with that.  

Day 7: Chops.  

My bottom line is - will we miss anything by missing both formal nights in the MDR.  We don't eat lobster due to allergies so that's not to come into play.  And, is Royal like Disney in that there is a wild mix of folks on formal nights? - everything from tuxes and gowns to polo shirts and shorts.  If so, then I'm not going to worry about being in the MDR as much.  If people are "dressier" then maybe I'll make the switch. 

Thanks as always for your assistance!!! 

will we miss anything by missing both formal nights in the MDR.

In short, no.  We always skip second formal night because neither my wife nor I eat lobster.  Your daughters can still dress up and be part of the formal night scene that is happening on the Royal Promenade and around the ship.

And, is Royal like Disney in that there is a wild mix of folks on formal nights? - everything from tuxes and gowns to polo shirts and shorts.  If so, then I'm not going to worry about being in the MDR as much.  If people are "dressier" then maybe I'll make the switch. 

Absolutely, yes.  There is a great variety of "formal" clothing onboard.  Titanic, this is not :)

Once you step outt of your room and head towards the elevators, you are part of formal night. Some won't participate, and some will. You will see that same mix in the specialty restaurants. You will always have a mixed bag. What I love about the ship experience is that it doesn't matter! It's all one big experience. Eating dinner is just one experience. The Royal Premenade is for promenading. :-D And this from an old lady. But it's fun!

Just my opinion...and you can take it or leave it.  It appears you have created a "mandatory work schedule" you intend to adhere to.  This is VACATION...you relax...you enjoy, you explore.  Get together at breakfast and suggest your day's activities.  If you don't make it to dinner at 6PM sharp....you vacation will not be ruined.   Do something unexpected and spontaneous.  You just might want to try Giovanni's on day two, four or six.   What difference will it make?   Any confirmed reservation can be cancelled at any point and a new one could be made at 4PM.   The Staff and Management will not give it a second thought.    Enjoy!

I'm sure we will change our plans on the ship. After 20 cruises on Disney, we have learned to go with the flow. But with a new line and a new ship, we had to have some semblance of order or we'd just be wandering around confused for 7 days I don't find that relaxing at all!  Our only "must dos" are chops, giovanni's, mama mia and ocean aria. After that, we will most likely do a lot of that wandering.  i picture myself spending many a moment in two places in particular: various places on the pool deck and in Vintages late at night using my drink package to its fullest. 

In short, no.  We always skip second formal night because neither my wife nor I eat lobster. 

<in a hushed voice> You know, they serve more than lobster that night. But I realize this is your excuse to go to another dining venue, so I won't tell your wife. I promise! :)  </in a hushed voice> 

<in a hushed voice> You know, they serve more than lobster that night. But I realize this is your excuse to go to another dining venue, so I won't tell your wife. I promise! :)  </in a hushed voice> 

Haha! My wife is almost always the one that recommends skipping that night.