New vaccine update

I think we'll see that 80% Bailey/Fain threw out there as having a preference for sailings where everyone is vaccinated right here. 

My take on the best reason to NOT sail if you're not vaccinated is that out of the gate, the microscope will be on the cruise lines. There's an increased risk of SARS2 infection in a mixed crowd. Even though it is small, it isn't zero. One case ..... ONE, will very likely shut down cruising no matter how well it is handled..... and it will be handled well and it won't matter. That may be and exaggeration but man, it would be a bummer if it happened.

10 minutes ago, JeffB said:

My take on the best reason to NOT sail if you're not vaccinated is that out of the gate, the microscope will be on the cruise lines. There's an increased risk of SARS2 infection in a mixed crowd. Even though it is small, it isn't zero. One case ..... ONE, will very likely shut down cruising no matter how well it is handled

What does it take to shut down a single cruise for an outbreak of norovirus?  I think it is about 2% of the guests onboard the ship.  Say there are 4000-5000 guests on average so only 80-100 people "reporting" gastrointestinal symptoms and the cruise ship goes back to port I believe. 

I agree, just a couple of cases of covid found during the daily testing on the people who aren't vaccinated will shut everything down again.  It won't really matter if people are reporting symptoms or not if they are testing.  I'm thinking about 5-10 positive tests and my cruise will be toast and future cruises will likely be cancelled again.

I personally wouldn't want to be the person contributing to the number of cases found onboard a cruise ship.   I'm vaccinated so hopefully I won't be.  If I'm one of the "breakthrough cases" at least I can say I was vaccinated.

52 minutes ago, cruisinghawg said:

Thanks for that info, I forgot that. So I haven't heard of anyone getting covid after vaccination that had a severe case.

I haven't heard of any severe cases, but there have been breakthrough cases "people getting infected after getting the vaccine". It is around 10,000 people out of the 101,000,000 that have gotten the vaccine, so like .00000000001%

53 minutes ago, Josh C said:

I would not, and further, I will not cruise on ships that do not require a vaccine for all who are eligible. 

I am with you...I really don't want to cancel my Royal cruises...shoot... look at Norwegian, Carnival, Celebrity, they are requiring the vaccine. Come on Royal... 

47 minutes ago, JeffB said:

I think we'll see that 80% Bailey/Fain threw out there as having a preference for sailings where everyone is vaccinated right here. 

My take on the best reason to NOT sail if you're not vaccinated is that out of the gate, the microscope will be on the cruise lines. There's an increased risk of SARS2 infection in a mixed crowd. Even though it is small, it isn't zero. One case ..... ONE, will very likely shut down cruising no matter how well it is handled..... and it will be handled well and it won't matter. That may be and exaggeration but man, it would be a bummer if it happened.

100% agree with this...

20 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

What does it take to shut down a single cruise for an outbreak of norovirus?  I think it is about 2% of the guests onboard the ship.  Say there are 4000-5000 guests on average so only 80-100 people "reporting" gastrointestinal symptoms and the cruise ship goes back to port I believe. 

I agree, just a couple of cases of covid found during the daily testing on the people who aren't vaccinated will shut everything down again.  It won't really matter if people are reporting symptoms or not if they are testing.  I'm thinking about 5-10 positive tests and my cruise will be toast and future cruises will likely be cancelled again.

I personally wouldn't want to be the person contributing to the number of cases found onboard a cruise ship.   I'm vaccinated so hopefully I won't be.  If I'm one of the "breakthrough cases" at least I can say I was vaccinated.

Fully agree with this as well. I think that's what people are missing the point on...if an outbreak or something happens with unvaccinated people, you are putting the whole industry in jeopardy. I know vaccinated people can cause issues too BUT far less likely than unvaccinated people. Vaccinated people are less likely to get severe illness or die, unvaccinated people...well...you know the death count... 

28 minutes ago, ctigerk said:

I am vaccinated and would not cruise If I wasn't vaccinated. I also don't wish to cruise with the Great Unvaccinated.

Is there a percentage of vaccinated passengers you would be comfortable with?  If they have no mandate and 85% are vaccinated and 100% of crew, is that safe enough?  Even with requirement you would be sailing with some unvaccinated, unless you confined yourself to the adults only section, and even then you might run into a medical exception.

Here's a question for you...what do you do with those that can't get the vaccine due to medical conditions or those that don't due to religious beliefs? That's a slippery slope legal wise, I'm sure that it has been addressed, but not commented on yet that I've seen.

2 hours ago, cruisinghawg said:

How many people here who would cruise if not vaccinated?

-You mean would I cruise if I wasn’t vaccinated?  No. I would not go on a cruise unless I was fully vaccinated.  I believe that would be irresponsible.  

Spoiler: It’s been well over two months since my second moderna shot, so the question is moot. 

-If you mean would I cruise with unvaccinated people?   Yes.   I know this is a crappy attitude, but I honestly don’t care.  

After 35 years of retail, the way people acted during the pandemic kinda broke me.  I just want to go on a cruise. 

36 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Here's a question for you...what do you do with those that can't get the vaccine due to medical conditions or those that don't due to religious beliefs? That's a slippery slope legal wise, I'm sure that it has been addressed, but not commented on yet that I've seen.

I believe the ADA would come into play if someone has a medical condition and couldn't get the vaccine so RCL would have to accommodate them somehow like make them wear masks.  The same may be the same for religious reasons as well.  However,  if someone just chooses not to not get a vaccine then RCL can probably refuse service.   But I'm not a lawyer so take my answers with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, ctigerk said:

And we will be stuck at sea for how long in a viral Petri dish?  YUK!

Nope will not happen the reason is why the CDC has a requirement for a port / local health agreement.  There will be no more ships quarantined at sea.

"The cruise ship operator has a written agreement (or a multi-port agreement) with all U.S. port and local health authorities where the cruise ship intends to dock or make port during a simulated voyage. The written agreement must specifically include the name of the cruise ship that will be conducting the simulation and meet the standards of the CSO and CDC’s technical instructions for Phase 2A of CDC’s CSO. The written agreement must include a:

• port component (including a vaccination component) between the cruise ship operator and port authority to determine the number of cruise ships operating out of any single port in order to not overburden the public health response resources of any single jurisdiction in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak;
  • medical care component between the cruise ship operator and health care entities, addressing evacuation and medical transport to onshore hospitals for passengers and crew in need of medical care, in accordance with CDC technical instructions and orders; and
  • housing component between the cruise ship operator and one or more shoreside facilities for isolation and quarantine of passengers or crew members with COVID-19 and close contacts, identified from the day of embarkation through disembarkation for each voyage."

33 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

There are also people who cannot wear masks for health reasons, too. Granted, the combination of those folks and folks that can't get the vaccine is probably 1-2 staterooms per ship.

Then those people should choose not to go on a cruise,  where o where has personal responsibility gone??

Sorry but you can't climb Mount Everest in a wheel chair, and we can not accommodate you.

• Matt locked this topic