Last Minute Cancellation - Rage Inducing

After months, and months, and months of phonecalls - being assured each time that July 1 would be full-steam ahead, they cancel my multi-postponed cruise for July on Oasis.  I will never book RCI again.  

I understand cancelling 8-10 weeks out, but a month?!?! With almost every other reasonable vacation option booked for July - just unacceptable.  The 125% credit is a joke - as most folks who book cruises are using vacation time that their employer won't just take back and trade for a later date.  

Well said! It’s been real! I’m taking my “100% full refund” and running away from Royal Caribbean. I was promised a FCC that never came in which I’m assuming they are keeping. My family and I have been waiting for this cruise for 2 years now and again it’s canceled. I called for the refund and they really wanted me to take their lousy FCC, they can shove it. To all the bloggers on here you guys are the real employees of RCG! Hats off for keeping my family and I updated.

16 minutes ago, AnnoyedAndNowhereToGo said:

After months, and months, and months of phonecalls - being assured each time that July 1 would be full-steam ahead, they cancel my multi-postponed cruise for July on Oasis.  I will never book RCI again.  

I understand cancelling 8-10 weeks out, but a month?!?! With almost every other reasonable vacation option booked for July - just unacceptable.  The 125% credit is a joke - as most folks who book cruises are using vacation time that their employer won't just take back and trade for a later date.  

Excited Season 6 GIF by The Office

I totally agree. I had my Symphony sailing L&S from last July to this July. Be nice if they let me L&S to a cruise this summer to get the money off their books. But now, I have to reschedule another full year out. This is getting silly. They knew this ship wasn't going to sail a long time ago, to go the test sail route and screw everything up. They should have just went vaccinated and put this ship to work.

15 hours ago, AnnoyedAndNowhereToGo said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I took the 100% refund and will not book Royal Caribbean until I am 100% assured that everything is moving forward. 

Some perspective, I live in Australia and can't legally leave the country; at least you guys in the US can fly out of the country. You can go to the Carribean, Europe and beyond. I have had several cruises cancelled, one was cancelled 22 days from departure date out of Japan. Royal didn't create Covid and I believe they are doing their best.  

I have a TA friend, and it is not just RCG, all lines have been cancelling close to sailing dates; poor lady spends her day organising credits and refunds for no income

I can understand the frustration with the uncertainty as I have several cruises booked and it is impossible to plan your work, life, flights, etc with all the uncertainty. however it looks like positive change is rapidly happening and each day I read about more positive information 

Ever-changing COVID regulations on the entire cruise industry have been absolutely crazy since Day 1.

Royal (like all of the other cruise companies) has been doing everything they can to interpret wacky CDC decisions which seem to change almost daily. While I get the frustration to have vacation plans altered at the last minute, the cruise industry is truly hamstrung by poorly-crafted rules enacted by various governments trying to navigate the pandemic.

I don't blame anyone for wanting refunds in lieu of FCCs, but the good news is that the announcements this past week truly offer a light at the end of the tunnel.

Happy sailing to everyone! ?

The only near term cruising that has a chance to hold schedule are those that do not fall under CDC oversight, except  the approved "test" cruises (which fall under CDC).    If you wish to book near term, it  has to be from a non-US embarkation point.  IF CSO expires 1 Nov - we'll be back to believable schedules.    All these near term cruises are  "maybe if"  the USG backed off, speculative vacation planning.  The lines are not going to stop taking in deposits and payment to keep some level of cash flow coming in.

Well stated. I am extremely upset ?.  I called for my refund and they told me everything would be returned except for the insurance travel monies.  That insurance would have gone into effect when the actual cruise would have started. This was a total of $550 that they will keep! I asked to speak with management and they told me they would submit a form to the insurance but that it would most likely not be honored. How is that right?? I am going to continue to take it further but I should not have to be fighting for something that they canceled. 

RC trying to keep as much revenue as they can....they sell cruises when they know they won't be going out...then they cancel July sailings for people who have been waiting to sail for months...and to top that off they bring in the Odyssey which was suppose to be in Israel.....sell cabins for the month of July at inflated prices..while all of us who were booked and waiting to sail sit at home...I think it's time to switch cruise lines.

1 hour ago, jake132 said:

they sell cruises when they know they won't be going out

Welcome to the message boards!

First and foremost, while we all love Royal Caribbean, they are a for-profit company. Sometimes it is good to remind ourselves of that.

Back to your point, I'm not sure that is the case.

Yes, Royal took their sweet time before announcing July cancellations...well beyond when other lines cancelled their July cruises.

However....

They did announce the return of a number of ships.  The notion "they know" it wont sail is not accurate.  I do think there's some truth that certain ships might be almost certainly not going to sale, but most of the fleet is in this state of flux where they are looking for how to get ships approved for restart.

I'm not sure any of us would have predicted last week that the ships that were announced for restart would actually restart in July. The breadth of their restart plan was a pleasant surprise to me.

Most everyone probably understood up to the other day that there was some chance that existing cruises in July were in jeopardy, but I can certainly understand the disappointment (5 cancelled cruises for me).  Hopefully this is the last round for those that have been slated for restart.

15 minutes ago, jake132 said:

When you sell a cruise the day before it is canceled, somebody knows something !

Wonder if the light will come on and folks start ignoring this early "what if" itineraries?  As @Matt stated, these companies are in business to make money.  I like to say - return financial value it its investors (the stock & bond holders).   Fingers crossed, lets hope these test cruises get underway, are successful and build momentum so the CSO can expire.   Maybe lightning will strike and the FL suit will be successful, but the more a ruling is delayed, the less hopeful I am on that front.  This industry has been caught in a political battle..  We're in a "cooperate and graduate" situation.

I am not happy with Royal either with their communication more specifically lack thereof. 

I get they are in a fluid situation and they have been shutdown for over a year now but to wait so long to announce their plans for July/August sailings is unacceptable. Especially, when the president/CEO of company gets on FB and announces test sailings on cruises BEFORE cancelling said sailings was truly a PR blunder and bad business move. 

AND, I see that no test sailing for Odyssey has officially been announced but selling July 3rd sailing. Less than 30 days out and they are very presumptuous that test sailing will happen and approved all within 30 days. No much room for error if the CDC identifies issues 

26 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I am not happy with Royal either with their communication more specifically lack thereof. 

I get they are in a fluid situation and they have been shutdown for over a year now but to wait so long to announce their plans for July/August sailings is unacceptable. Especially, when the president/CEO of company gets on FB and announces test sailings on cruises BEFORE cancelling said sailings was truly a PR blunder and bad business move. 

AND, I see that no test sailing for Odyssey has officially been announced but selling July 3rd sailing. Less than 30 days out and they are very presumptuous that test sailing will happen and approved all within 30 days. No much room for error if the CDC identifies issues 

In the US we remain under the CSO until the gov't lifts it, it expires, or is overturned by injunction.   Ships can sail if complying with CSO.  There are a number of test cruises on the schedule (high probability they will go).   There are some cruises scheduled that are CSO compliant through vaccination requirements (hence CSO compliant), but the state gov't is setting a local condition that prohibits that option (so low probability they will go).   There are also cruises scheduled for Alaska, but they too must sail under CSO requirements  (Will Washington state levy anything that inhibits sailing?  Don't know.)  If the cruise line plan to adhere to CSO requirements- high high probability of occurrence.  So booking a cruise which is not going to meet (or can't meet)  current CSO or local gov't requirements is low probability of occurrence.  Probability of sailing goes 100% after CSO expiration.  Planned for 1 Nov 21 (but not a certainty).  

Other options - book on a cruise that is sailing outside he CDC pursue.  Non-US embarkation ports.    High probability of occurrence (sailing underway).  I don't fault RCL for continuing to book these low probability cruises to fill up the schedule.  Up to the consumer to weigh what's known and the risk of what we don't.  We know we're under CSO.  I believe RCL owes  the consumer better disclosure.   An example:  All these non-compliant cruises should be marked  with an asterisk * stating, "The scheduled cruise is currently not aligned with federal or state sailing requirements..."  Maybe that would help folks decide on whether to take the plunge.   Caveat emptor!

8 hours ago, Cris said:

Well stated. I am extremely upset ?.  I called for my refund and they told me everything would be returned except for the insurance travel monies.  That insurance would have gone into effect when the actual cruise would have started. This was a total of $550 that they will keep! I asked to speak with management and they told me they would submit a form to the insurance but that it would most likely not be honored. How is that right?? I am going to continue to take it further but I should not have to be fighting for something that they canceled. 

Hello and welcome to the message board!!  So sorry for this aggravation...I know first hand because I also never got my travel insurance refunded for my very first cruise cancellation!!  I did take it all the way to the insurance company platform with no luck.  ?   My cruise has 30 family/friends (I do all the booking, etc) and every single one of us lost that money.  Royal explained to me that it is not their problem because the travel insurance (although purchased through Royal) is actually a third-party company so Royal stays out of it. 

An even bigger issue I ran into was when we rebooked using the FCC's from that original cruise and once again purchased the travel insurance.  This time we ended up L&S that cruise to next April...and Royal didn't want to honor the price we had paid for the new travel insurance (it was really cheap!!).  I spoke to several agents at Royal and no one would agree that my entire lifted and shifted pricing should be honored.  So I cancelled the insurance for all 30 of us!!  Then an Angel answered the phone when I called recently for something to do with the cruise and she asked me if I wanted travel insurance for all of us.  I told her no and explained why and her response was:  "Oh...no...your insurance should have been price protected when you shifted"!!!  I was shocked but she worked on it and we now all have travel insurance at very low prices.  Of course, the original travel insurance from the original cruise is still history (my family of 13 lost over $700).

Sorry for writing so much.  Your post brought back my bad feelings and I just had to vent once more!!  

56 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Hello and welcome to the message board!!  So sorry for this aggravation...I know first hand because I also never got my travel insurance refunded for my very first cruise cancellation!!  I did take it all the way to the insurance company platform with no luck.  ?   My cruise has 30 family/friends (I do all the booking, etc) and every single one of us lost that money.  Royal explained to me that it is not their problem because the travel insurance (although purchased through Royal) is actually a third-party company so Royal stays out of it. 

An even bigger issue I ran into was when we rebooked using the FCC's from that original cruise and once again purchased the travel insurance.  This time we ended up L&S that cruise to next April...and Royal didn't want to honor the price we had paid for the new travel insurance (it was really cheap!!).  I spoke to several agents at Royal and no one would agree that my entire lifted and shifted pricing should be honored.  So I cancelled the insurance for all 30 of us!!  Then an Angel answered the phone when I called recently for something to do with the cruise and she asked me if I wanted travel insurance for all of us.  I told her no and explained why and her response was:  "Oh...no...your insurance should have been price protected when you shifted"!!!  I was shocked but she worked on it and we now all have travel insurance at very low prices.  Of course, the original travel insurance from the original cruise is still history (my family of 13 lost over $700).

Sorry for writing so much.  Your post brought back my bad feelings and I just had to vent once more!!  

Is it RCL insurance or third party?  Had the same issue with third party insurance.  One company actually granted an exception, and provided a refund with the help of my TA.  Another company stated they wouldn't BUT, they allowed me to apply that particular policy to another vacation (non-cruise).  That non-cruise vacation value amount could be adjusted up or down.  If you increased value you paid more $$$, but if you reduced the value you received a reduction in the original premium.   I think the cruise was originally insured for around $4k and I was able to reassign the insurance to a weekend get away valued at about $500.  So I went from insuring a $4k trip to a $500 trip recovering about 80% of the premium.  So did not get a total refund, but was able to recover most of the premium.  This is all done at with advise of that particular insurance company and was permitted because of the pandemic conditions.   

I can't speak to RCL insurance recovery as I always go 3rd party now.  If we have 3 trips/year planned, I will purchase and annual travel insurance policy (in lieu of individual travel policies through my TA)  as its more economical in our situation.  The annual policy will also cover those pop-up week-end get-aways in which you may rent a car, hotel or fly somewhere.

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

I get they are in a fluid situation and they have been shutdown for over a year now but to wait so long to announce their plans for July/August sailings is unacceptable.

Let's say you had a July cruise, and then let's say Royal did kind of what you wanted and cancelled July a month or two ago.

Now, let's fast forward to this past week. Royal announces July cruises and the ship you had booked is back on the table!

However, the rate and room you had are gone, because it was cancelled. So you could re-book, but maybe it would be a different price? Or not the exact room you had before?

You've solved one problem but a new one comes out, and in my experience, this would annoy a lot of people as well.

---

To be clear, I'm not saying you're right or wrong about what they should have done. Just pointing out the other side of the decision.

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

Let's say you had a July cruise, and then let's say Royal did kind of what you wanted and cancelled July a month or two ago.

Now, let's fast forward to this past week. Royal announces July cruises and the ship you had booked is back on the table!

However, the rate and room you had are gone, because it was cancelled. So you could re-book, but maybe it would be a different price? Or not the exact room you had before?

You've solved one problem but a new one comes out, and in my experience, this would annoy a lot of people as well.

---

To be clear, I'm not saying you're right or wrong about what they should have done. Just pointing out the other side of the decision.

I understand the complexity and fluidity of the situation but I do not believe that Royal should have waited less than 30 days from the earliest July sailing to announce. 

I never thought Royal should have cancelled July sailings 2 months ago. I thought that they should have cancelled mid-May. Canceling people’s sailings under a 30 day mark and then announcing test cruises sending TAs in chaos while people still believed that they would sail somehow on a ship before test cruise is not acceptable and I’m sorry shows a disregard for the peripheral plans that needed to be cancelled and changed in a summer with higher demand for travel. Prices rose for alternate options while Royal delayed announcements and had customer service reps lie to their customers especially on last Thursday when Bayley announced tear sailings. 

I appreciate you pointing out other side and I agree with you to the extent of the timing of the July testing and cancellation announcements. It could/should have been handled much better. 

It's scenarios like these that led me to cancel everything several months ago, grit my teeth and wait it all out until cruising fully resumes. It relegated me to a couple of land vacations. It could be a LOT worse, and I am grateful for the opportunities I have and the memories of being on RC ships. Ultimately, it is helping me save some money for when the right situation comes along even if it pushes against my addiction to certainty. I will say that if Royal brokers an insurance transaction even if they aren't an agent, that they should go to bat on those refunds. They should insist n that with those carriers.

8 hours ago, cruisellama said:

Is it RCL insurance or third party?  Had the same issue with third party insurance.  One company actually granted an exception, and provided a refund with the help of my TA.  Another company stated they wouldn't BUT, they allowed me to apply that particular policy to another vacation (non-cruise).  That non-cruise vacation value amount could be adjusted up or down.  If you increased value you paid more $$$, but if you reduced the value you received a reduction in the original premium.   I think the cruise was originally insured for around $4k and I was able to reassign the insurance to a weekend get away valued at about $500.  So I went from insuring a $4k trip to a $500 trip recovering about 80% of the premium.  So did not get a total refund, but was able to recover most of the premium.  This is all done at with advise of that particular insurance company and was permitted because of the pandemic conditions.   

I can't speak to RCL insurance recovery as I always go 3rd party now.  If we have 3 trips/year planned, I will purchase and annual travel insurance policy (in lieu of individual travel policies through my TA)  as its more economical in our situation.  The annual policy will also cover those pop-up week-end get-aways in which you may rent a car, hotel or fly somewhere.

It's the travel insurance you can purchase through Royal with your booking.  But the insurance is not a Royal product...I believe it is a company they partner with and the name they gave me is AON Affinity.  At least that is the name of the company I had to deal with when Royal would not refund my insurance.

44 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

It's the travel insurance you can purchase through Royal with your booking.  But the insurance is not a Royal product...I believe it is a company they partner with and the name they gave me is AON Affinity.  At least that is the name of the company I had to deal with when Royal would not refund my insurance.

Unfortunate especially with the circumstances that occurred.

6 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

It's scenarios like these that led me to cancel everything several months ago, grit my teeth and wait it all out until cruising fully resumes.

As much as it pins me as someone who praises “yolo book it”, you’re doing something more folks should consider.  

Im okay with changes and a merry-go-round cancellations, but based on a lot of other posts over last few months, I think what you did, Jay, is definitely the right approach for people who don’t feel the same as me. 

Early on, no one knew this would go on for this long, but there’s no shame in letting it all play out. 

8 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

It's scenarios like these that led me to cancel everything several months ago, grit my teeth and wait it all out until cruising fully resumes.

Similar situation as to why I cancelled both September 2020 & December 2020 before any final payments were made. It was too wild of a situation a year ago. I took one deposit as a FCC and L&S the other cruise to this September. I didn't want RCL to hold large amounts of my money that I could use for other vacations (or that new grill :)).

Now that final payment is due (on the shifted cruise) we are more than likely cancelling again. Wife just started a new job and some friends already backed out.

Originally I was "all-in" figuring it would be cancelled and I can preserve the great price. Now? I'm not so sure, it might actually sail, then I'm stuck with a large FCC if wife's new job denies the time off. Also, I decided not to lock myself into this cruise. I'm having fun checking out other options, looking at this winter. So, like you, I'll take my FCCs,  watch how things start, monitor @Matt's blogs for latest news and in the near future book something REFUNDABLE for this January or February (latest March).

19 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Thanks for sharing. I am sorry too that you lost so much money. I often wondered if this was happening to others and if people fought this. I did talk to management yesterday and he did explain why it was not refundable but it still does not sit well with me. The way things are going, makes me never want to cruise again. 

This is so disappointing and incredibly frustrating - I absolutely feel your pain.   And I hear Matt when he talks about cancelling...  

In May 2020 we L&S a cruise booked in April 2021.   My husband thought I was crazy and that everything would be sailing by April of 2021... boy was he wrong.   I'm super glad we moved it (especially now that I see the price is 3X what we paid).

This whole situation is so fluid and so disconcerting and SO frustrating.   We all want it to be over and have our regular lives and schedules back.   Someone reminded me the other day that "re-opening" will be a series of baby steps.   And be prepared for one step forward and two steps back.   There WILL be covid on cruise ships.   What will that mean?   Will they be prevented from docking?   What will happen to passengers?   Quarantine on land?   Who knows - but all of these details need to be sorted out and addressed before the cruise lines can hit it with full force.

It's a process...  I keep reminding myself that it's not forever.   It's just for now.

I knew my July 31st on Oasis wasn't going to sail MONTHS ago.  I didn't need royal to tell me that, it was obvious, so I used the programs that Royal made available and shifted it to Adventure in early August (and saved money even with airfare).

I know my 2nd week of August cruise to Alaska from Vancouver wasn't going to sail MONTHS ago.   I didn't need royal to tell me that, it was obvious, so I used the programs that Royal made available and moved it 2022 (which is the second time I moved it since it was originally a 2020 cruise).

I looked at the landscape and made a decision using imperfect information and optimized my outcomes using the tools I had available.  You could have moved your July 1 cruise pretty much at anytime but decided to wait for RCCL to make the decisions for you.

I feel your pain, I do, however, Royal sailing in US is at the mercy of the US Gov bureaucrats....who do nothing fast.  But once a decision gets made, Royal as a business needed to be a position to capitalize as quickly as possible and turn on a dime.....if they had cancelled all of July earlier, then they wouldn't have any cruises in place to use as test cruises now that they have a pseudo green light to start.

Classic Monty Hall conundrum ?

1 hour ago, DJsMrs said:

This is so disappointing and incredibly frustrating - I absolutely feel your pain.   And I hear Matt when he talks about cancelling...  

In May 2020 we L&S a cruise booked in April 2021.   My husband thought I was crazy and that everything would be sailing by April of 2021... boy was he wrong.   I'm super glad we moved it (especially now that I see the price is 3X what we paid).

This whole situation is so fluid and so disconcerting and SO frustrating.   We all want it to be over and have our regular lives and schedules back.   Someone reminded me the other day that "re-opening" will be a series of baby steps.   And be prepared for one step forward and two steps back.   There WILL be covid on cruise ships.   What will that mean?   Will they be prevented from docking?   What will happen to passengers?   Quarantine on land?   Who knows - but all of these details need to be sorted out and addressed before the cruise lines can hit it with full force.

It's a process...  I keep reminding myself that it's not forever.   It's just for now.

I realize not everyone is up to date but to ease your fears....the cruise lines have had to enter into port agreements per CDC CSO to handle ships with a possible large outbreak including local hospitals if needed. Ships will not be turned away from ports they have agreements with

26 minutes ago, Jill said:

I realize not everyone is up to date but to ease your fears....the cruise lines have had to enter into port agreements per CDC CSO to handle ships with a possible large outbreak including local hospitals if needed. Ships will not be turned away from ports they have agreements with

I don't think ships would be turned away from any port at this point.

our cruise for August 7 out of Baltimore to Bermuda was cancelled just last week.  I had kind of been expecting it so it was no big surprise.  Disappointing, but not surprising.  I did already pay final payment just a few days before so we just decided to not lift and shift, but go for the 125%.  I know it stinks when things are cancelled so close to sailing and fortunately for us we didn't have flights because we live close to Baltimore.  If we had a cruise that involved flights and hotel I'm sure i'd be feeling different right now.  I don't think RCCL waited until the last minute because the wanted my money, I think they waiting because they were still hoping it was going to sail.

4 hours ago, dodgestang said:

I knew my July 31st on Oasis wasn't going to sail MONTHS ago.  I didn't need royal to tell me that, it was obvious, so I used the programs that Royal made available and shifted it to Adventure in early August (and saved money even with airfare).

I know my 2nd week of August cruise to Alaska from Vancouver wasn't going to sail MONTHS ago.   I didn't need royal to tell me that, it was obvious, so I used the programs that Royal made available and moved it 2022 (which is the second time I moved it since it was originally a 2020 cruise).

I looked at the landscape and made a decision using imperfect information and optimized my outcomes using the tools I had available.  You could have moved your July 1 cruise pretty much at anytime but decided to wait for RCCL to make the decisions for you.

I feel your pain, I do, however, Royal sailing in US is at the mercy of the US Gov bureaucrats....who do nothing fast.  But once a decision gets made, Royal as a business needed to be a position to capitalize as quickly as possible and turn on a dime.....if they had cancelled all of July earlier, then they wouldn't have any cruises in place to use as test cruises now that they have a pseudo green light to start.

Classic Monty Hall conundrum ?

I too, had a good feeling it was going to get canceled and wanted to cancel early on for a full refund so that I could vacation elsewhere. I called and tried to cancel but they would not honor a refund because Royal had not made the announcement to cancel.  Not everyone can just switch their cruise for another date. I booked for several of my son's friends and this a once in a blue moon opportunity.  If it was just my family and if my kids were little, I could understand moving the cruise to a later date as I can control their schedule. My kids are grown and it is difficult to get them all together. At this point I do not want to cruise until everything gets figured out.