Celebrity Ship Swap - July & August, Millie & Summit

It appears that Millie will begin June cruises in St. Maarten but in July Summit will take over her itineraries.  With that Millie heads to Alaska to take over Summit's planned special 2021 Alaska season bypassing Canada from Seattle.

It seems the bill that Congress passed that allows ships to bypass the PVSA listed specific ships that could participate.   Summit isn't on the list, Millie is.  As a result Millie must head to Alaska.   

14 hours ago, WestCoastFlyer said:

Cruisellama can you talk about the differences between Milli and Summit, thought they were pretty much the same after reno.

I've sailed on both of them, Summit after refurbishment that added cabins and Millennium before that. The are identical in terms of features and deck layouts. There may be some small differences that I'm not aware of between the two but they aren't show stoppers.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, WestCoastFlyer said:

Cruisellama can you talk about the differences between Milli and Summit, thought they were pretty much the same after reno.

I thought Milli's renovation left too much undone at in the Murano and other specialty restaurant areas.  Also, we experienced issue on the new Retreat spa area in service and function of equipment (operation of spas).     The Milli Retreat lounge was a pretty hands off experience with the crew service, whereas the Summit staff were far more outgoing and interactive on the service - really guest focused.  So yes same class, our experience was that Milli was underperformed in function and service (and reviewed as such with Celebrity).  Could be just the week we sailed her.  But you only have one opportunity to make a good first impression.  The other Celebrity ships we've sailed all made good first impressions.  In so much that we won't sail her again.  Too many positive experience on the other Celebrity ships to try again on the most seasoned of the M-class.

I'm not a fan of live blogs but I went to this one to see how Celebrity was managing it's first revenue cruise in over 400 days - Millennium out of St. Maartin sailed yesterday, Sunday, June 6th.. 27% capacity (580 guests), all over 16s vaccinated. Run of the ship, no masks for pax, crew fully masked, lots of safety/health signage, full buffet but servers plate your food. The check in, according to this blogger, went smoothly ..... if you had studied and read what you needed to do and did it.

I have little patience for cruisers that show up expecting to have their hands held with not a clue of the simple pre-barding steps and terminal requirements pre-pandemic. During the pandemic, the requirements, rightfully so, are much more complex. Also reported by this blogger, staff were plentiful during the boarding process to point people in the right direction. Both Celebrity and the Dutch Government required entry and pre-boarding RT-PCR tests even if vaccinated.

There are tips and a day/date calculator for you to determine the best approach to getting this test done either in St. Maartin or prior to leaving the states. This level of service and attention to detail is typical for X - at least in the over 40 cruises I've experienced with them. Glad to hear this routinely superior service continues and seems to be ramped up a bit for initial pandemic sailings.

The link below has a lot good tips and links to some of the best stuff I've seen regarding COVID protocols and policies aboard various lines either pre-planned (from what we know) or actual runs, e.g., Celebrity Millennium. Have a look:

https://www.cruisehabit.com/